Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals - Annoyed or What !

hmsk212

Hi

In amongst my medal collection there is a War Medal to a Private in the Machine Gun Corps who returned to the UK from France in late 1917 to attend Officer Cadet School in order to gain a Commission. He was subsequently Commissioned into the 4th Battalion Scottish Rifles in May 1918. He never returned to France and his medals are therefore in the Rank of a Private. I bet he was very annoyed about that !! Is this a common occurrence as it is the first time I have personally come across an Officer with medals named to a Private?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Not sure how common this is but I have recently come across something similar.

I have a pair to 17105 Sergt. John William Harrison, Royal Scots. His MIC shows him as being commissioned, 2nd Lieut., Royal Garrison Artillery, 20 October […?].

Unfortunately the year has been trimmed from the edge of the card - I'm guessing 1918.

Derek

Not an Officer, and not WWI but my Dad had the same thing happen to him.

Earlier this year he was finally awarded the GSM with the bar for the Near East for his time in the Suez Canal Zone in the 50's.

He was a little miffed as the medal had the Queen's head on it (he went out as a soldier of the King) and the rank was as Private although he ended his tour as a Corporal :lol:.

I have two groups to members of the CEF who received commissions late in the war but have their medals named to them in their enlisted ranks. It must have been fairly common practice.

On the other hand I have pairs to men who held high non-commissioned rank but actually served as privates at the front. One pair is named to an Acting Company Sergeant Major, who at his own request reverted to private in order to get to France.

I have a 5th CEF trio named to a Cpl. who was sent home to Canada c1916 where he was commissioned Lieut. He remained there for the duration of the war as a training officer. I have a photo of him wearing his Lieut.'s tunic and Sam Browne.