Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

World War I: British troops in German East Africa Photo set

Ithklur

That is a really interesting collection you have found, thanks for posting it.

Well Done & Thank You Olav. These are very useful. Can any Member identify the 12-pounder unit? Harry

Harry

as the pictures are made between Taveta and Lukigura I would assume it could be the No 8 Field Battery (Calcutta Volunteer Battery)

Another interesting detail is the barely recognizable inscription "Peggy III" on the naval gun at Salaita

http://www.flickr.co...433503/

(pic down left)

or the guys with the Madsen light machine gun, although wrong labeled as captured German gun

Personally I know just three (very short) written sources for this machine gun in British service:

Diary of Private E.S.Thomson, Machine Gun Section of the 7th South African Infantry Regiment,

War Diary 25th (Frontiersmen) Battalion, Royal Fusiliers, from 6 and 31 October, 2 November and 31 December 1916 and

Cape Corps Chronicle

Olav. I agree, especially as they used oxen. The Madsen is probably being handled by 25th Royal Fusiliers, as they fought at Lukigura. Harry

The 'Pegasus' 4.7 inch guns are of interest. Were they tubes from a ship of that name mounted on locally built carriages - like those used in the Boer War does anyone know. The certainly have the look of the iron monger about them. The 4.7 was a singularly useless weapon hated by its crews and earned the reputation for being so inaccurate they were called neutrals. I had no idea they were used in East Africa. Anyone know more about there employment .

Thank you Olav for the link to these wonderful pictures of GEA.

Jean-Paul

The 'Pegasus' 4.7 inch guns are of interest. Were they tubes from a ship of that name mounted on locally built carriages - like those used in the Boer War does anyone know. The certainly have the look of the iron monger about them. The 4.7 was a singularly useless weapon hated by its crews and earned the reputation for being so inaccurate they were called neutrals. I had no idea they were used in East Africa. Anyone know more about there employment .

I believe that they were guns from the very old cruiser HMS Pegasus which was sunk by the Koenigsberg at Zanzibar in September(?) 1914. I think that some (6?) of the guns were salvaged. Two, Pegasus III & IV were used in the land campaign in 1916. In that case, I think they were 4inch, not 4.7.

I think that one of the others is still at Mombasa.

There is something about them on the forum:

http://1914-1918.inv...showtopic=88530

Roger.

From page 220 of the Official History, Part I: No 10 Battery. (Before February 1916 called No 3 Heavy Battery). Originally two naval 4-inch Mark III from HMS Pegasus on improvised field carriages, manned by RNR personnel. A third gun was added on 11th February 1916. The guns were drawn by Packard lorries, with six Reos for ammunition. They were recovered from the sunken HMS Pegasus, and one is still on display in Mombasa outside Fort Jesus.

A third gun was added on 11th February 1916.

This one Harry?

Pegasus_1.jpg

Nice find Olav. Here a closeup showing "Peggy III " on gun.

post-25609-0-14108900-1374321144_thumb.j

Is the identity of the Peggy gun at Mombasa known? Was it perhaps one of the two used in the land campaign?

Greetings

Edited by kallag

Root

Many thanks for that link, most helpful. The Peggy mounting is vey similar the Boer War Mounts and Reuther better looking than those in thePegasus pictures. A great little story.