Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"With the North & South Irish at the front" (IWM)

MickLeeds

I came across this film reel whilst searching through the IWM image collection and thought it might be of of interest to those who may not have seen it before.

Compilation showing Irish Guards, 16th (Irish) Division and 36th (Ulster) Division on the Western Front between late 1915 and the middle of 1917, and a Canadian battalion touring Ireland, 1917.

(Reel 1) Connaught Rangers eating in billets near Hulluch, March 1916. Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers near Messines, June 1917. Royal Munster Fusiliers march to Mass near Hulluch, March 1916. 2nd Battalion, the Irish Guards, near Aubers Ridge, December 1915. Troops of 16th Division at Messines. A marchpast of 7th Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles in early 1915 showing Major William Redmond leading his company. More of the Irish Guards clearing water from their trenches near Aubers Ridge. (Reel 2) Connaught Rangers (?) probably in a training area, throwing smoke grenades and charging forward. Damage done to a "well constructed German dugout". A British 60-pounder battery being shelled. German soldiers helping to carry trophies and wounded of 16th Division, Somme area, late 1916. 36th (Ulster) Division staff, including Major-General Nugent, and some of its troops. Graves just behind the Irish Guards line. A church parade in memory of the dead. Major Redmond's grave in the Hospice at Locre. Irish and Australian walking wounded, posed for the camera, just arrived at Dover (?). II. A tour round Ireland in June 1917 of Canadian 55th Battalion, (Duchess of Connaught's Own Irish Canadian Rangers), under Colonel O'Donoughie. They go through Cork, Belfast, Blarney Castle and Limerick, ending with a sermon preached for them by Cardinal Logue in Armagh Cathedral where the battalion colours were laid up for the war's duration.

http://www.iwm.org.u...ject/1060022709

Mick.

Mick,

The link doesn't work for me.

John

Edit: I think the IWM web site is down.

Edited by archangel9

The link is back up now.

Thanks Mick. I'll have a watch later,

John

• 4 months later...

In the section entitled, 'cleaning the drains', an officer looks very much like a young H R Alexander, later Earl Alexander of Tunis of the Irish Guards. the issue of 'stout' to the lads was like giving elephants strawberries.

Tony P