Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Confusion

easily_confused

Hello

Please excuse me if I ask a silly question but I am researching my great Uncle who died in WW1 18.09.1918 (Sydney Robert Jary) I've just downloaded his medal card from documents online.

It didn't tell me a great deal except that he received the the Victory Medal. I was told that he would probably of been awarded also the British War Medal but this isn't mentioned on the card. Now I know nothing about medals and what they were awarded for but I am trying to learn. Could he of been entitled and if so were there reasons some soldiers were not awarded them.?????

I know he received the DCM as I have all that information.

Also is it right that his family would also of received a Memorial Plaque and scroll ( Dead Mans Penny)

Sorry if this questions makes no sense :unsure:

Regards

He would definitely have the British War Medal,it usually appears below the Victory Medal on the Index Card{the BWM could be awarded without the Victory,for various criteria, but NOT the other way round}There might be another Card,though these two Medals when issued where usually issued from the same card,Also,As he was Killed/Died on War Service he would have had a Plaque Cast in his Memory.

Thank you so much for replying

I have had another look I cannot find another card for him but when I looked again at his medal roll it has a line drawn through the box next to the British War medal maybe this means he did get it and not as I originally thought he didn't I am new to this.

Thanks again :)

HI,

Any chance you can post an image of the MIC?

regards

Leigh

Hi,

The ----------- " ------------ under the first line is a ditto im sure signifying that the information for the BWM is on the same place in the medal roll as the Victory medal.

It doesn't mean it was crossed out. I will await being told other wise though as usually happens :D

Regards

Leigh

Also if you know he recieved a DCM this must be on another MIC.

Regards

Leigh

Also if you know he recieved a DCM this must be on another MIC.

Regards

Leigh

These, like Military Medals & Mentions, are generally listed on totally seperate cards and are not part of the current on-line sets of mics.

Steve

Guest Ian Bowbrick

The DCM MICS are actually refernces to the edition of the London Gazette in which the DCM is gazetted!

Being the DCM there will be a citation for him - go to the links page of the mother site and search for his citation in the Lndon Gazette.

Ian

Hi there-

While trying to avoid work I sat down and found the DCM citation for 50189 Jary from the LG website:

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

This (LONG!!!) address shows the full citation for 28/11/1919. However, there is another entry on 11/03/1919, which again mentions Jary having been awarded the DCM but there is no citation:

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Now my question is this: was it customary to have two mentions of a DCM award in the LG, one giving the award, while another giving the full citation? If not, then why have two LG entries. All the best and hope the links work

Dimitri

Dimitri,

yes - it is not unusual to have the 'fact of' the award appear in the Gazette some time before the citation. My impression is this became increasingly common as the war progressed. No doubt the better informed can explain the mechanics.

Jock

P.S. is this man any relation to the WW2 Sidney Jary of '18 Platoon' fame?

Later on in the War It was the norm to promulgate the award,{MC,DCM,etc}initially & then add the Citation in a further gazette of{though the early 1914 DCMs etc ONLY had the Citation gazette}as the War progressed & award numbers increased the Time span between Promulgation & Citation became lengthier.

PS::Looking through some NREF 1919/20 Gazettes today I was pleased to see some excellent MM Citations for Russia

Thank you to everyone who took the time and answered my post you have been most helpful and your replies very interesting.

It has only been in the last couple of months that the family have known about Great Uncle Syd and it has been great finding out all the information about him even if it has been confusing at times

On Saturday 18th September it will be 86 years since Sydney died and on sunday were getting together as a family and travelling up to Lynn to the War Memorial to pay our respects it will be nice to be able to fill them in on what you have told me

Thanks again

Ros :)

Morning-

Thanks lads for clarifying that point for me!

Ros - May your Great Uncle never be forgotten. I wish more families these days paid their ancestors the respect they deserve! All the best

Dimitri