Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mentioned in despatch certificate

stu

Can anyone please tell me were there different types of MiD certificates issued.

I have a group which includes one issued in 1919 that says it was awarded for Gallant and Distinguished Service in the field,were there also ones issued where the wording was different,perhaps for important or valuable services?

I also have a group to an officer discharged in 1917,who as a civillian worked for the Air Ministry in 1918 and was mentioned "to the Secretary of State for valuable services during the war",would he have been issued with the normal oak leaf,and would he be entitled to wear it on his victory medal that he was awarded?

Many thanks.

Stu

As this "Mention" was a Civil award I dont think that he would have officially been entitled to wear the Oak Leaves Emblem{Which was a Military Award} on his Victory Medal,it was not until WW2 that a Specific Badge{The King's Badge for Brave Conduct~ A Plastic Lapel Badge}{later Silver Laurel Spray,For a King's{Later Queen's}Commendation for Brave Conduct Or Valuable Service,worn on the Defence Ribbon,if entitled, or on the Coat after Medal Ribbons,if not.}Or The King's Commendation For Valuable Service In the Air~Also a Civil Award,A Silver Lapel badge.Were instituted,In effect the Gazetting is/was the Award. :)

Hi HarryBettsMCDCM,

Thanks for that,I had a feeling that might have been the answer for my "civvy" group.

Do you happen to know anything about my first question regarding the certificates and different types.

Many thanks.

Stu

Stu

Received this link HERE in answer to a question I asked about MiD's recently.

May be of use.

Steve

Many thanks to Stuart and Steve,

I have a certificate issued in 1919 that says it was awarded for Gallant and Distinguished service in the field,did they all say that?

Many thanks.

Stu

As far as I know they were very similar,the only differences being in whose dispatch it was & obvoiusly the Date.{ They were not issued until after the War & I believe they carry a 1919 date after Churchill's facsimile signature}as well as the dispatch date in the text

They were not issued until after the War

The one I have is dated 26 September 1917 and signed by a Major General.

Also a typed sentence " Showed great devotion to duty under continuous shell fire etc ....."

Always willing to learn, is this an MID certificate or something else ?

Stuart

They were not issued until after the War

The one I have is dated 26 September 1917 and signed by a Major General.

Also a typed sentence " Showed great devotion to duty under continuous shell fire etc ....."

Always willing to learn, is this an MID certificate or something else ?

Stuart

This sounds like a Divisional or Brigade Certificate of Gallantry or Valuable Service,On Vellum or Cartridge,The MiD Certificates had the Royal Arms @ the top & were printed on thick Cartridge,a Picture of your Certificate would be helpful if possible?The MiD Certificates didnt generally give much information,more just to state that the recipient had been mentioned in the Dispatch of... & When.

Thank you.

It is looking more like a 59th Division certificate then.

Here is the image.

(I have to admit that I have never seen an MID certificate before.)

I would say so! see below for a series of MiD Certificates,including 3 to one Man{& they didnt even give him a MSM!!!}

=###===###===###===###===###===###===###===###===###=

This one is to:BSM Thomas Cotton DCM MSM 116th Heavy Battery RGA from 1915 Sir John French's Despatch:~

post-8-1095523188.jpg

The First of three to QM Captain Spain ASC{Formerly QMS}

post-8-1095523980.jpg

No"2"

post-8-1095524116.jpg

No"3" NB: these later ones are dated from July 1919 @ bottom

post-8-1095524245.jpg

5346 CQMS George Jasper;MSM;{later QM Lt}7th {Service} Bn;Suffolk Regiment

post-8-1095524501.jpg

An example for Mesopotamia{Iraq} awarded to George Lilley MSM{NW Frontier 1923}RASC,for Mesopotamia 1919,again a 1st March issue from the War Office,sadly this one displays,having been cut down toi frame it in the past & definitely what not to use Sellotape for!!!!

post-8-1095524715.jpg

Thank you very much for sharing the images of the MID certificates. I now know.

Am also pleased about the fresh information on my certificate.

Stuart

always learning

Thanks to everyone for their help.

I think that answers my question,the wording for Gallant and Distinguished service appears on all of them,so I assume they're all like that.

Stuart that is a nice divisional gallantry card you have,as nice as any MiD certificate,do you have his medals?

Stu

I found this thread very interesting.

I have a short 'family history' from a reasonably distant relative who ended up a WO class 2 in the ASC organising what today would be called Logistics. It reads....

"Captain France - my Adjutant - had described me on my Discharge papers as "an excellent organiser and disciplinarian". He further wrote me a private letter thanking me for my work and loyalty and saying he had put my name forward for a reward in the next list. I am happy to say that I received a Mentioned in Despatches"

It would be interesting to know if the wording was the same... I guess the Distinguished may have been applied.

At some stage I will type up the whole section on his time in the Army and post it as it shows the rapid progression of someone who was a minor cog in the huge machine that was the Army, and never went anywhere near the front.

It provides an alternative view which must have been true for many men.

cheers

Mike