Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1911 Census for Military - Overseas

Black Sapper

and ...... finally (I hope I got them all) .... The Ireland 1911 Census List for Army units & regiments

Someone may find them useful (I also added the Royal Navy too even though it is in Ships forum).

1911 Military Census Ireland.pdf

1911 Royal Navy Census Ireland.pdf

I just downloaded the 1911 Military Census Ireland.

Thanks for the stellar work.

Tom, I would have to politely disagree with some of your comments.

Your use of the word 'contracted' is slightly misleading I am afraid. All of Ancestry's data is on licence not 'contract' - it legally has very different implications. Trust me on this. I have spent some time with the National Archives discussing this very matter.

<snip>

Thanks for all your corrections Martin.

I'm still learning.

Regarding the Scottish census and other Scottish records. These are available at Scotlandspeople which is run by Brightsolid under contract from the General Register Office of Scotland (GROS). GROS are very keen to maximise their income from the online exploitation of their records - which has led to their refusal to licence 1911 images to Ancestry, FindMyPast, The Genealogist etc. In terms of genealogical research ScotlandsPeople is a one stop shop for all Scottish records (census, BMD registers, parish records, wills) the content is superb, the pricing less so (though BMD entries have all the certificate data not just an index). Here in England we can only dream of such access to English records.

I found this thread and Black Sapper's excellent indexes (many thanks BS) because I was looking for a trooper in the 1st King's Dragoon Guards. I haven't found him - but I think I can see why. The enumeration for D Squadron lists the men in alphabetic order. Page 4 covers B-K, page 5 has S-W. There is no sign of L-R - so the chap I was looking for (Ernest Moon) seems to be missing owing to a simple clerical error by the Squadron in 1911 (presumably they missed a page when making a good copy of the return from a draft).

Regarding the Scottish census and other Scottish records. These are available at Scotlandspeople which is run by Brightsolid under contract from the General Register Office of Scotland (GROS). GROS are very keen to maximise their income from the online exploitation of their records - which has led to their refusal to licence 1911 images to Ancestry, FindMyPast, The Genealogist etc. In terms of genealogical research ScotlandsPeople is a one stop shop for all Scottish records (census, BMD registers, parish records, wills) the content is superb, the pricing less so (though BMD entries have all the certificate data not just an index). Here in England we can only dream of such access to English records.

To add to what you've written, for anyone searching ScotlandsPeople website for the 'death' record of a soldier serving with a Scottish Regiment, do this:

1) Once you have opened an account on ScotlandsPeople website (and paid some fees (spit))

2) On the left side panel under 'Statutory Registers', click "Deaths"

3) This will open a window asking for the details of the person

3a) Under 'County/City/Minor Records', click the down arrow.

3b) This will open a drop-down box of Counties and Cities in Scotland. Embedded between 'MIDLOTHIAN' and 'MORAY' is 'MINOR RECORDS'

4) Click 'MINOR RECORDS' when searching for a soldier.

A successful find will give (that's a loose term, 'coz you'll pay for it) you the Service Return record for the soldier.

It will be more difficult for a soldier with a common name, as the search results may give you many instances.

It will help your search if you know the date the soldier was killed or died of wounds.

Tom.

• 9 years later...

we are looking at a project to Index the 1911 Census for the 1st & 2nd Bn Royal Warwickshire Regiment who were in India and Whittington respectively which we make publicly available (or free to be more direct) on our website at www.swfhs.org.uk. Our small team of hobbyist transcribers have already indexed 1.5 million birth, marriage and death records which can be found on our site (free) and they are running out of things to do. Will keep you informed of progress