Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1911 Census for Military - Overseas

Black Sapper

Incredible amount of cataloguing.

Well done and thank you v much.

Okay people - managed to work my way through a load of 'cut & paste' stuff & ended up with a 'Final' version of the 1911 Military Census Records catalogue & links.

Two problems though -

1. You still need to be a member of "Cough, spit" to be able to read the links. (However, for a 'limited time only they now appear to be offering "Free **?* access to the 1911 Census so if you need stuff, best go there now!

2. File upload size on GWF restricts me from adding the whole complete Census List so I've had to reduce the content, probably into two halves, for each file.

I made the list in Excel to make it interactive & searchable, then had to convert it to Adobe Acrobat .pdf file in order to be able to upload it to GWF.

I believe that it is still searchable & the links still work in this format? Any problems let me know?

This first file title covers, Aden, Bermuda, Burma, Andaman Islands, Ceylon, Channel Islands (Guernsey, Alderney, Jersey), China, Hong Kong, Cyprus, Egypt, Gibraltar & India.

Apologies for any mistakes but there's been a lot of cut & paste which made my old eyes spin!

I also tried to group units/regiments together for each location, to save further trawling through pages of stuff, so in some countries the records are not sequential as they appear in the Census. However, it's interesting to finally be able to see all the units together - kinda puts it all in perspective?

But ... it must be a nightmare for Artillery researchers to find anything at all - boy, did we have some Artillery Units in India in 1911!

I'll get on with the remainder over the next couple of days & produce the second file to cover the remaining countries.

In the meantime - help yourselves ...... I already found 5 guys that I had previoulsy "lost" in 1911 so I hope that it works for you too?

1911 Military Aden, Bermuda, Burma, Ceylon, Channel Isles, China, Cyprus, Egypt, Gibraltar, & India.pdf

Thankyou so much for this. I have an Ancestry subscription, but it is so hard to find things now in the Census since they messed with the format.

Hazel

Finally managed to complete the transcription of all the links from "cough, spit" 1911 Military Census records - so here's the second half (file size restrictions on GWF I'm afraid).

This list covers Jamaica, Malta, Mauritius, Sierra Leone, Singapore, South Africa & Sudan.

That about wraps it up .....? (for now ........)

1911 Military Census Jamaica, Malta, Mauritius, Sierra Leone, Singapore, South Africa & Sudan.pdf

Thought about it a bit more, decided to lump the files together and upload both the Excel & Adobe versions/formats to a drop site. (Hightail - used to be YouSendIt).
Please download as you want. (Unfortunately the link will expire in 7days on the 8th August 2013 so best be quick.
Here's the two links.
https://www.hightail.com/download/bWJvK3BFNXZOMUFpR01UQw

https://www.hightail.com/download/bWJvK3BKY3lRWUo4SjhUQw

That should eliminate the number of files you needed to download, ease the file storage burden on GWF & give you both the Word for Mac .xlsx & Adobe Acrobat .pdf versions. I trust that they are both interactive, searchable & don't have too many mistakes?

Black Sapper

Fantastic, just need to find a way of getting at regiments in Ireland in 1911 now. Thanks for a superb piece of wor.

John

Superb work Black Sapper!

This is a perfect example of the true generosity given to the forum.

I've attached a small 'snippet' I acquired from ancestry (cough, spit...) for the purpose of explaining the Source of the Information.

Notice "Provo, Utah, USA" - the home of the Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints (known as LDS in abbreviated form) otherwise known as 'The Mormons'.

Kindest Regards,

Tom Lang.

post-87018-0-97656000-1375632215_thumb.j

Not to distract anyone from the stellar work of Black Sapper, but I wanted to provide some background information regarding the ancestry website.

Some of this information may not be fully accurate, but is provided to give an overview of what is going on in the background.

Scottish records and English and Welsh records have been recorded and maintained separately for historical reasons.

Northern Ireland have recently begun to make their separate records available online for free,

The ancestry website is owned and operated by the Mormon church.

They were contracted to make copies of the genealogical records at Kew Gardens (for England and Wales) and Register House, Edinburgh (for Scotland). Hence the separation of the records on the ancestry website.

The TNA (for English and Welsh records) website and database is owned and operated by a conglomeration of civil service departments in London.

The ScotlandsPeople (for Scottish records) website and database is owned and operated by a company called BrightSolid Publishing which in turn is owned by Thompson Publishers in Dundee, Scotland.

Copyright of ALL these records is owned by the Crown.

The 1911 census for Scotland was contracted to BrightSolid due to a 'tiff' between 'the Crown', Register House, Edinburgh and the Mormons over copyright payments.

You can see this in action in the following sequence of 'snippets' I acquired to provide an explanation to all members:

1) This 'snippet' shows the 'About' panel from the 1901 census window, and lists England, Wales, Scotland, Channel Islands and Isle of Man:

2) This 'snippet' shows the 'Included data collections' panel from the 1901 census window, with links to 1901 England, 1901 Wales, 1901 Scotland, 1901 Channel Islands and 1901 Isle of Man census records:

3) This 'snippet' shows the 'Record Collections: UK Census Records' panel from the 1911 census window, and lists links to 1841 through 1911:

4) This 'snippet' shows the 'About' panel from the 1911 census window, and lists England, Wales, Channel Islands and Isle of Man (NOTE: there is no reference to the Scotland census for 1911):

5) This 'snippet' shows the 'Included data collections' panel from the 1911 census window, with links to 1911 England, 1911 Wales, 1911 Channel Islands and 1911 Isle of Man Census Records and Summary Books (No Scotland).

The 1911 Scotland census is only available on the ScotlandsPeople website,

I hope this helps in whatever small way to unravel any misunderstandings.

Kindest Regards,

Tom Lang.

post-87018-0-60977200-1375635918_thumb.j

post-87018-0-13452500-1375635931_thumb.j

post-87018-0-40288700-1375635940_thumb.j

post-87018-0-49163000-1375635953_thumb.j

post-87018-0-86702800-1375635963_thumb.j

I think the Mormon connection is out of date. Ancestry was sold late last year to a hedge fund for $1.5bn.

http://ir.ancestry.c...eleaseID=752199

See under recent business highlights. Permira funds is now the owner as of 28th Dec 2012.

http://www.permira.com/

MG

Thanks Martin,

I didn't hear of that.

Tom.

Tom, I would have to politely disagree with some of your comments.

Your use of the word 'contracted' is slightly misleading I am afraid. All of Ancestry's data is on licence not 'contract' - it legally has very different implications. Trust me on this. I have spent some time with the National Archives discussing this very matter.

Ancestry.com has very little proprietary content and provides access to information sourced from Governments, councils etc by paying a royalty licence. Certainly in the case of UK Govt data which has given a number of genealogy companies a licence rather than a 'contract'. Ancestry's relationship with the National Archives is not exclusive. Other Genealogy companies provide similar information sourced from the National Archives.

For example, the WWI military records such as Census, Births, Deaths, marriages, Army pension records and Army service records are sourced from the National Archives which are subject to Crown Copyright. It is not the property of Ancesstry. The MICs are sourced from The Westen Front Association and were previously owned by the National Archives, although the National Archives has its own copies. Ancestry.com (and other genealogy companies) merely provides wider access. One might argue that Ancestry.com is providing a decent service by providing much wider access through expensive advertising and its much larger subsciber base and incidentally providing the National Archives with much needed money. While the same WWI info is available via the National Archives' own website, this organisation simply does not have the footfall or the resources to promote its archive material.

While some may rail at companies that charge for this type of access, it is no different to any other commercial enterprise and in my view we should be thankful that such companies exist and promote awareness. Making money is not a sin. It is the very basis of our society. Archives cost money to preserve, maintain and promote. We should be thankful that we have such wonderful access and companies that are willing, at great expense to promote it. Anyone disagreeing with Ancestry's approach is (thankfully) free to choose to not use their service and go straight to The National Archives where the very same WWI info is available for £3.36 a shot.

I have no commercial interest in Ancestry.com

MG

P.S. I do think that Ancestry.com's transcriptions are atrocious.

P.P.S. Whenever you see an image if an regional Govt document it will always be Crown Copyright. Any transcription will be the copyright of the transcriber (Ancestry.com does very little of this and when it does it is simply appalling). With regards to most of the UK Govt WWI archive data, Ancestry.com provides access to images (for a fee) which are still Crown Copyright and are not under 'contract'.

A very minor observation which might save some wrong turnings . When I visited the National Archives they were not situated in 'Kew Gardens' (see post #34).

D

You Guys - wonderful stuff.

Amazing what you can learn on this forum.

I for one, certainly get my monies worth from Ancestry.com - worldwide membership for around 150 quid. Wife says it's the best thing she ever let me buy because I'm in there for at least 4-5 hours a day, every day! (That's the trouble with having 4 true family trees we research, my 'one name' military research & all the other places I poke my nose into which require me to search Ancestry).

As a point of note - try searching the Irish 1911 Census Records & then compare that effort to searching 1911 Census in Ancestry.

I use Ancestry and have found loads of good infomation and even a WW1 pension record of 14 pages however its like a lucky dip and you have to look for the same thing more than once ! However the 1911 military census was the first place that led me to the 2nd Hampshire Regiment and confirming I was on the right track.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this any use to anyone? I'll post it here & also in the Naval Section - I just finished using it to locate a couple of 'lost sailors' who I didn't have location details for & who's names were mis-spelled in the Census?

Unfortunately you still need to be an Ancestry Member to use the links but you should find it fully searchable by overseas location, Ship's name etc ... at least I hope so .... it seems to also work when Ancestry have free trial offers?

(No apologies for the odd mistake & it is not meant as a definitive ship history record). It might save some endless trawling?

1911 Military Census Overseas, Royal Navy.pdf

• 2 months later...

More updated 1911 Census lists for Military (Army & Royal Navy) for England just completed.

(I was also going to post the Royal Navy one under the Naval Section)

I think I caught most locations & believe that my lists are searcher friendly? (Unfortunately, for the links to work you still need to be a memebr of Ancestry).

I trust that some of you might find these useful?

Seems that the files are too big to go in the forum posting - so if you think that they may be useful just e-mail me at roeschlinp@gmail.com with your return address and I'll send them on to you

Regards ........

Thanx Mike ..... I split the file for 1911 Census Military (Army) ENGLAND into two.

Here's each of them.

Pages 1 to 20 from 1911 Military Census England.pdf

1911 Census Military (Army) ENGLAND Part 2

Pages 21 to 42 from 1911 Military Census England.pdf

Had to split the Royal Navy File for 1911 Census ENGLAND into three parts - here goes (I'll also post this under the Ships Forum)

Pages 1 to 22 from 1911 Royal Navy Census England.pdf

Royal Navy 1911 Census part 2

Pages 23 to 46 from 1911 Royal Navy Census England.pdf

Royal Navy 1911 Census Part 3

Pages 47 to 62 from 1911 Royal Navy Census England.pdf

First time I've looked into this thread.

Black Sapper, that is an awesome piece of work you've done there and incredibly generous of you to share the fruits of your hard labours with the forum.

Thanx ulsterlad2, no problem. I can't see the point in not sharing something that I did for my research because it helped to resolve a number of 'missing' people for me. Glad that you appreciate it.

I've got Wales & Ireland on the go at the moment, both for Army & Royal Navy, but Ireland is a nightmare!

It also keeps me out of mischief ........

11was there one for Ireland units ever done by the amazing Black Sapper? i threw my dummy out trying to search for a soldier in the Manchesters in the Curragh

LOL Ireland not done yet but I'm working on it ............ nightmare!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, here's another couple of 1911 Census lists ...... trust that someone will find them useful?

(Shame that you still have to be an Ancestry member to view the links, but .....?)

(I also put the Royal Navy list under Ships Forum)

1911 Military Census Wales.pdf

1911 Royal Navy Census Wales.pdf