Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Service Corps

Sue Light

Sue

I have two men on the local Memorial - both Service Corps - for whom I have very little info and would appreciate anything that you are able to add. They are:

MS/2267 Sgt J.H.L.FAYERS 604th MT Coy att XV Corps died 13.9.1917

grave at Zuydcoote Military Cemetery

T/345558 L/Cpl H.L. FORD 108th Coy ASC died 5.10.1916

grave at Karasouli Military Cemetery, Greece.

I am trying to emulate the standards set in the presentation of the Lancing Remembrance site - congratulatons on that, it's superb.

Chris

Harold Sugden A. S. C.

This man was taken prisoner at Mons in 1914 has anyone any information on the circumstances of the A. S. C. at this time, one puzzling feature is that is Daughter told me that she was fairly certain he was not a regular soldier.

I did previously post an enquiry about him, he being a local entertainer, his favourite song was " I parted my Hair down the middle" and such is the wealth of knowlege on this forum I was told it was by George Formby, Senior.

Cliff Hobson.

Hi again Sue

Can you shed any light on 178 Coy (Reading), if possible their whereabouts in April 1915? A local lad (M2/013591 George Spencer Bishop) is buried in our local churchyard although his headstone is missing. :huh:

Many thanks in advance.

Cliff

The book contains four or five quite descriptive pages about the ASC/Retreat from Mons, with some personal accounts of what they were facing. If you wish, let me know off list and I'll scan and send them.

Mark

They were formed 19/1/15, and would seem to have been at home until at least July - the Battalion War Diary entry is WO95/950, which may shed some light on their movements. The entry in the book seems a bit ambiguous as it gives under 'Theatre' a combination of Western Front and 13th Division, which would seem to be incompatible, although all this was after your chap's death anyway.

Regards - Sue

• 9 months later...

Sue,

I'd be grateful if you could have a look for the following individual or his unit. Another of my Old Boys at Thetford Grammar School:

Ernest R Horne, Lance Corporal, 486th Horse Transport Coy, ASC, died 29/12/18, and is buried at the Sarigol Military Cemetery, Kriston, Greece.

As always I am most grateful for any help with this project.

Regards,

David

• 8 months later...

Sue,

If you would be so kind to look up

Corporal Claude R. Stone #783209 AEF

Motor Truck Company #414

I am attempting to ID the Div or Corps his Company was attached to

thank you

Jim

• 1 month later...

Hi Sue,

Can you have a look for me to see if there is any information relating to the 2/Cav D.S.C ASC. I think it stands for 2/Cavelry division supply corps.

Many thanks

Rowland.

Sue-many thanks for this,

I wonder if their if there is any mention of "Driver/Pte Alfred Jordan".Don't know anything other than he was in France for most of the War,and having been a chauffeur (and therefore a driver) was coopted into the ASC & pulled the big guns into position.Think he may have been sent abroad from Woolwich?? (Memory on something from childhood!)

Many,many thanks,Laura

Have just remembered that an inordinate number of Alfred Jordans seemed to need to join the ASC so please don't worry if there are several of them!

Many thanks for your kind offer!

Sue,

Your initial post mentions 'Unit Establishment'. My wife is trying to track down her grandfather's WW1 service. She didn't know he served until we saw a 1926 photo of him in civies wearing medals, one of which is the Star (14 or 14/15). When she asked her aunt she said he was in the Service Corps.

His name was Alfred Lewis. We have looked at MICs and several with that name (no middle name as far as we are aware) in ASC. Thinking of downloading them in the hope that only one has the Star and it might be him.

Would be pleased if you find anything in the book.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest zaffie

Hi Sue

I have a relative George Albert Earl served in ASC as a driver regiment number T4/084552 unit attached to 83rd field ambulance. Would you have any information?

Regards

Zaffie

My Granddad DM2-164637 E Kissack served in the ASC, but that is all I know. Is there anyway to find more specific information on unit and or it's role/movements?

Sue

Could you have a look at one of my locals - ripe old age.

Name: LEVEY

Initials: Henry

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Army Service Corps

Unit Text: 26th Labour Coy.

Date of Death: 20/03/1916

Service No: SS/20024

Additional information: Son of Joseph and Elizabeth Levey, of Stansted, Essex.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VIII. D. 82.

Cemetery: BOULOGNE EASTERN CEMETERY

Absolutely any info on him or his unit would be a great help

Kind regards

Glyn

Sue

I have more information on my Grandfather Harold Arthur Ridge he was a Driver with 208 Company ASC in Salonika

Jane

In answer to Jane, and just for information, the book gives no details of individual men who served with the ASC, other than senior officers, and winners of gallantry awards with the Corps - a third of a million men would fill a rather larger volume!

It's a good general history, and helpful for details of where individual companies served, with the reference to the relevant unit war diary at the National Archives, but will be no help for personal information about men.

Sue

Sue

As you know, I'm thinking of buying the book.

Does it give more company info than I will find on the Long Long Trail?

I wonder, if by way of guide, you might let me know what it has on, say 615 Coy?

regards

John

John

I haven't actually looked at the section on the main site, but I imagine that it's taken directly from the book, as this seems to be the only easily available source. As for 615 Company, it simply gives the details that it was formed 6th January 1916, and disbanded 31 March 1923, and was part of Irish Command, Dublin as 27th Local Auxiliary Motor Transport Company. No unit war diary as presumably it was never in a theatre of war.

Interestingly, 614 Company, its counterpart with Scottish Command, does get a little write up of its own - I wonder if anything can be gleaned about the doings of one from the exploits of the other:

'614 Company, based in Edinburgh, worked mainly for the Canadian Forestry Corps. As part of its duties in 1917, it sent a number of vehicles to gather sphagnum moss, which was used for hospital dressings [nowadays better known for hanging flower baskets'. 100 vehicles from the company were later sent [in February 1918] to Glasgow because of the strike there, their work including the transportation of infantry battalions which carried out policing duties in the Glasgow area.'

Not a bad way to see out the war.

Sue

Sue

Thanks. The info on 615 is pretty much what's on the LLT, but I luuurrrve the info for 614. Wouldnt you just want someone on the memorial who was in it? I can see the write-up now.

My chap may have spent the war in Ireland gathering moss and then "died" in 1918.

John

At least it would be a change from:

'Tom [Dick or Harry] climbed over the parapet and was met with a hail of bull....'

Sue

Sue,

Is there anything about the 18th. Labour Coy. please?

Kath.

At least it would be a change from:

'Tom [Dick or Harry] climbed over the parapet and was met with a hail of bull....'

Sue

Is that Tom as in "Tom was born on ....... the son of Thomas and Sarah. After the War they were living at......"

It could get very tedious. There are 44 ASC men on the town's memorials. I hope some of them did something interesting. Otherwise it is going to be a long, long slog.

John

Otherwise it is going to be a long, long slog.

John

Sounds like a good name for a website about blokes who did unremarkable stuff like carrying hay and boxes, for five years, dressed in khaki.....

Graeme