Sue,

If it's not too much trouble would you 'delve' for any information on:

648th MT Coy (East Africa)

Base HT Depot (Salonika

Much appreciated,

Andrew

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Sue,

Info on the 89th Coy appreciated - I know they were the supply column for the 1st Indian Cavalry Division, anything else apprecaited.

Thanks,

Ian

:)

Hi Sue,

Is there any information there on 'C Siege Park'? I know my ASC man was there, attached to 99 Siege Battery RGA, but that is the sum of my knowledge. Places, dates etc would all be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Munce

Do you think you could go out and come in again with another letter of the alphabet for your Siege Park? I have checked through the list of Companies [twice] - no big deal, there are only 1,198 of them, give or take a few.... :lol: but 'C' Corps Siege Park is not there - a lot of others, but not 'C'. And although many RGA Siege Batteries are named in conjuction with certain ASC Siege Parks, 99 Siege Battery RGA is not among them. Sorry not to be more positive!

Regards - Sue

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the look up, even if it was without success. The 'C Siege Park' reference comes from my man's entry in the London Gazette for his MM. 99 Siege Battery (Ammunition Column) comes from his service papers. I haven't had any luck in tracing these units, partly because the PRO war diary for the 99th Siege Battery is missing :angry: . Thanks again for the work.

Sue

I've a couple of requests if that's not too cheeky. Both a bit vague, I'm afraid.

1 Anything on a Grove Park Motor Transport Depot. My guess is that it's local to me in the North West.

2 Anthing on an ASC unit attached to Canadian Corps Siege Park. My man was reported KIA on 1 September 1918 and is buried in Achicourt Road Cemetery, Achicourt, Pas de Calais.

Thanks

John

John

Lots about Grove Park including pictures - actually it was in South East London on the site of Grove Park Hospital. Give me a day or two as I might be a bit tied up, and I'll sort out what's there and send it off list. And the Canadian Corps stuff

Regards - Sue

For Munce (with apologies for hijacking the thread)

If you look at WO 95/5494 that should give you the subordination of 99 Siege Bty at various times - probably to a Heavy Arty Group or Arty Bde - if you then check the WO95s for the relevant units you should be able to get a reasonable line on the battery's activities. It is also worth looking at the WO95 for the relevant div/army/corps Commander Royal Artillery (CRA).

And if you've tried all this I'll get back in me box.

Jock

Jock,

I hadn't tried that, mainly because I didn't know that file existed. I've just had a look on PROCAT and can now see what a useful file it is. I shall make a beeline for it next time I'm at the PRO. Many thanks for pointing it out.

Sue

I noticed the mention of 648th MT Coy (East Africa)

Would appreciate any information that you may have regarding this coy if it is not too much trouble.

Andrew - how's the research on 648th MT going ? I am about to transfer information of 648th casualties on to map of East Africa.

Regards

Myrtle :)

Myrtle

648 Company: formed 9th February 1916; disbanded 19th July 1919.

Originally a Water Tank Company [MT] in UK, and in East Africa role was as 4th Auxiliary [MT] Company [maintenance services] Artillery Support.

There are a few interesting pages about the ASC in East Africa, and a couple of photographs, one of the overland transport of one of the gunboats to Lake Tangnayika [don't know whether it was Mimi or Toutou]. If you would like a scan of the pages or photos just let me know and I'll send them off list.

I sent the same info. to Andrew, but can never tell how well the emails from the list travel, so probably easier to put it on here.

I'm glad the ASC is having it's share of popularity, but before anyone asks, I clean out of Apple and Plum, and only have marmalade left :lol:

Regards - Sue

Sue

Thank you for the information on 648th company. I would like the scans please but will not be able to receive them by email at the moment as I am having problems with that mode of communication. I will contact you when it's sorted.

Thanks

Sue,

Public thanks for the private e-mail concerning my query - it came through fine.

Myrtle, I'm no further forward than the last time we discussed this on the forum. By the sound of it you are way ahead of me. I would be most interested to see the pattern that emerges when you plot the map. Would there be any chance of unashamedly leeching on to your efforts and asking for a copy when it's done?!?

All the best,

Andrew :)

Sue

.......and the rest. Cheers!

All the best,

Andrew

Andrew

I will let you know when I've completed mapping the casualties and will, if possible, send it via email once my email problems have been resolved.

Myrtle,

Much appreciated.

All the best,

Andrew

Sue.

I don't know whether you can help, but do you have anything on "HQ Signal Coy., ASC" in Feb - May 1915?

Not a lot to go on, I know, but anything would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Dave.

(By the way, the guy I'm trying to find out about has the "MS" ( Mechanical Specials) service number ,if this helps.)

Dave

Sorry, but apart from 728 Company, Signal Service Training Centre, [formed 28/6/16], the words Signals + Company + ASC don't seem to figure in the book. Perhaps someone else can shed some more light.

Regards - Sue

Thanks anyway, Sue.

dave.