Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The impact on small towns 1914/15

johnboy

I have been looking at Harpenden Herts.

Harpenden is about 20m north of London in Hertfordshire.

In August 1914 4 battalions of Notts and Derby Regiments [5th 6th and 7th Sherwood Foresters] arrived in Harpenden. They numbered around 4500 men swelling the population from around 6700 to over 11,000. To billet the men all 23 empty houses were used for some of the men.An underestimate by the War Office put a huge strain on local services.

The Sanitary Inspector found blocked drains, mainly in the empty houses.He had to arrange extra horse and carts to empty closet pails and temporary latrines on a daily basis.The Sherwoods stayed for 3 mnths training and left for France 25 Feb 1915 after some time traing to dig trenches at Harlow Essex.

In early Feb 1915 battalions of North Staffs arrived. Some of the residents got extra income from billeting money. They were paid around 9d per night and some had as many as 12 men. The Public Hall was re-opened as a recreation centre. Church parades were held for the battalions and bands marched.

Tents were put up as atemporary hospital. Harpenden had no hospital at the time. Once winter set in it was moved to the Golf Clubhouse on the common.

The locals probably profited from the soldiers eg pubs, shops and extra jobs.

The sending of troops to small towns was obviously done in a rush. This would have put a strain on the town council and the services they provided.

Here is a picture of bread delivery for men of the 46th Division in Harpenden during that time

post-4619-0-85500400-1373280024_thumb.jp

Thanks for that Mike. I think it was taken in the High Street looking north.

Here is a picture of bread delivery for men of the 46th Division in Harpenden during that time

post-4619-0-85500400-1373280024_thumb.jp

This is a picture of the 8th Battalion Sherwood Foresters taken at Harpenden on a route march, I believe the public house still remains and you can see the main railway line to London St Pancras crossing over the road. BRONNO.

post-30693-0-36409000-1373708416_thumb.j

Again looking north. Not sure if the pub is still there though the railway bridge is.

Are you sure it's the High Street? From what I can see on the map the railway line runs parallel to the High St rather than crossing it.

I must admit, I am wondering too. There is a bridge over Luton Road [Cont of High Street.} Maybe the road has been realigned since the pic was taken. I'll try and check it out over the weekend. The tall building on the right by the bridge has been replaced but I think from memory, the houses there are old.

sea Jane, There is a bridge over Luton Road. Not sure when was built, but the road runs "straight" under it.

The only other place it could be is Southdown Skew Bridge behind the commom. I'll check that location too.

Does this help, it looks like everything is still standing. BRONNO.

post-30693-0-07826600-1373663389_thumb.j

Cheers Bronno, saves me a drive. That is the Skew Bridge at Southdown, behind the common. They are either marching back to the common, to the centre or even the recreation hall.

Where did you get the original pic?