Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Heritage Lottery Funding for Centenary projects

Tom Morgan

Last night I was discussing how my local authority might commemorate the Centenary. I was shown some examples of Lottery Heritage Fund grants. One was to a youth drama/dance group, who asked for a grant to research the lives of the 11 men named on a small war memorial in the building which the group uses. (It was formerly a chapel). They were awarded a grant of £23,000 - that's more than £2,000 per name.

This seems over-generous to me and I wonder whether or not other forum members would agree.

Tom

PS - I think the project itself - getting young people to discover the real lives behind the names on a memorial, thus enlivening the memorial for the future - is most worthy. It's just the size of the award that made me wonder.

That does sound like a phenomal amount for the work involved.

Keith

Without more information on how precisely the money is to be spent (which presumably they had to supply ot HLF to obtain the grant) I wouldn't like to judge. If it really was just for "research" into those names it owuld seem a lot, but given the nature of the group I would be slightly surprised if there were not to be some piece of drama coming out of it as well, and if that involves professional writer/director etc that would soon account for a decent proportion of that money.

Good points, David. The information I saw came from the Heritage Lottery Fund itself though, and I would have thought that if a performance was one of the outcomes, the details would have mentioned this. Other award details do indeed refer to writing/performing dramatic pieces as part of the projects, but these awards are much less than the £23,000 I referred to in the original post.

Incidentally, the Heritage Lottery Fund details for the award refer only to a youth group, without any reference to what the group does. There is no reference at all to the group's interest in theatre/dance. I added that information, having looked up the group's details this morning.

Tom

If you look in more detail at the HLF website you will see for some examples a breakdown of the costs. Is the project to which you refer? http://www.hlf.org.u...px#.Ud0euDuoq8A

Our school is in the process of completing a bid; at first the figure was quite small, but the local museum now want us to produce a video to be shown as part of their centenary exhibition and to support the work of the researcher they will be employing. When visits to sites of interest and the National Archives are taken into account, as well as professional help with editing, I was shocked at how quickly the cost increased. Like most people here I've self-funded research so far, but the result of this is a bulging ring binder and a large collection of computer files which are of little benefit to anyone else.

One result of our project at least is that there are 12 volunteer students who are learning the research skills and enthusiasm which will hopefully encourage them to continue with this as a hobby or job long after the centenary has passed.

I tried and got nowhere!

Tend to agree with you Tom.

Are they proposing some kind of Strictly Come Memorialising event?

I tried and got nowhere!

What was the problem? I am considering a bid - it would be as good to know what failed as what succeeded.

What was the problem? I am considering a bid - it would be as good to know what failed as what succeeded.

Well Phil I put in for funding to do cross community commemoration in Northern Ireland. All I got back was a one liner "We are already funding projects for 1914-2014".

Tom

It seems like an extremely generous grant. Which, to be blunt, could have funded several similar commemoration projects in the locality. As you know I have researched nearly 3000 men commemorated on Stockport's war memorials. I've done that happily at my own expense, along with funding the professioanlyl designed and managed website which displays the information. My main research costs have involved several trips to the National Archives - total costs, between 2004 and 2008, were in the region of several hundreds of pounds - I doubt whether it cost me a grand, let alone 23 grand.

John

Well Phil I put in for funding to do cross community commemoration in Northern Ireland. All I got back was a one liner "We are already funding projects for 1914-2014".

Bizarre - sounds like just the sort of thing they would go for. Was someone else already doing something very similar?

It seems like an extremely generous grant. Which, to be blunt, could have funded several similar commemoration projects in the locality. As you know I have researched many hundreds of men commemorated on Stockport's war memorials. I've done that happily at my own expense, along with funding the professioanlyl designed and managed website which displays the information. My main research costs have involved several trips to the National Archives - total costs, between 2004 and 2008, were in the region of several hundreds of pounds - I doubt whether it cost me a grand, let alone 23 grand.

I have also been researching out of my own pocket - but I suspect it has cost more than a grand if you count up all the expenses that could be claimed under a grant (online subscriptions, certificates, travel costs to archives, copying costs, website and domain name costs) and that's before you claim for a laptop and camera . Or the digital projector used to give talks, etc, etc.

The trips to France and Belgium might be a little more difficult to claim...

The other issue seems to be that commemoration is of relatively little interest to HLF - they are more into learning, community, etc. It seems they would rather fund a project in which schoolchildren do some basic research than one where a historian does in depth work.

Bizarre - sounds like just the sort of thing they would go for. Was someone else already doing something very similar?

Doubtful as it is a small field. Obviously UK has many different projects but I am unaware of Northern Irish ones!

[/size]

but I suspect it has cost more than a grand if you count up all the expenses that could be claimed under a grant

Excellent point, Phil.

My MP brought this fund to my attention, and said that I should draft a letter for him to sign to the people in charge, advocating a grant for my research. The only problem is I've got no idea how to word this letter. Has anyone got any suggestions? I've filled out the expression of interest form and sent that off.

Simon

The only problem is I've got no idea how to word this letter.

Suggest you read whatever the HLF criteria are for grants and then write your letter so that it specifically addresses those criteria.

My MP brought this fund to my attention, and said that I should draft a letter for him to sign to the people in charge, advocating a grant for my research. The only problem is I've got no idea how to word this letter. Has anyone got any suggestions? I've filled out the expression of interest form and sent that off.

Simon

As far as I understand it applications are completed online, although there is a facility to attach documents. All the examples I have looked at have actively involved young people in one way or another and have produced results which are accessible to the public. There seems to be a clear focus on community involvement, rather than, say, academic rigour. However, the website says that they would consider such things as repairs to a war memorial. Are there local men whose stories can be shared?

Doubtful as it is a small field. Obviously UK has many different projects but I am unaware of Northern Irish ones!

Just reading the HLF leaflet on WW1 funding and they have the Diamond War Memorial project from 'Derry - Londonderry'. Very much a cross community project it seems - good enough to get almost £50k. Perhaps you could contact them for some tips?

More from the HLF leaflet (http://www.hlf.org.uk/HowToApply/whatwefund/FirstWorldWar/Documents/Remembering_FWW_leaflet.pdf)

HLF aims:

To receive a grant, your project must:

• help people to learn about their own and other people’s heritage.

Your project must also do either or both of the following:

• conserve the UK’s diverse heritage for present and future generations to experience and enjoy;
  • help more people, and a wider range of people, to take an active part in and make decisions about heritage.

- things they won't fund include:

• work that has already started;
  • projects that don’t help people learn.

So it's too late if you have already started (I suspect this might be the case with many here) and you really have to sell the community and learning aspects.

More from the HLF leaflet (http://www.hlf.org.u...FWW_leaflet.pdf)

HLF aims:

To receive a grant, your project must:

• help people to learn about their own and other people’s heritage.

Your project must also do either or both of the following:

• conserve the UK’s diverse heritage for present and future generations to experience and enjoy;
  • help more people, and a wider range of people, to take an active part in and make decisions about heritage.

- things they won't fund include:

• work that has already started;
  • projects that don’t help people learn.

So it's too late if you have already started (I suspect this might be the case with many here) and you really have to sell the community and learning aspects.

Thanks but Diamond is Derry only. I looked at HLF and other sites - all needed reams of bumf. Seems weighed in favour of committees and such - there are a few of us in Belfast & elsewhere. First thing Dublin told me was "We don't have the money" followed by an itinerary of the Prime Ministers Belgian, French, Turkish and Macedonian (?) voyage!

Just got a response to my expression of interest. Apparently the HLF won't fund projects which have already started, which seems a bit barmy if you ask me, and require start and finish dates (which is a bit more reasonable, but since I wasn't asked for them I didn't supply them).

Simon

If you look in more detail at the HLF website you will see for some examples a breakdown of the costs. Is the project to which you refer? http://www.hlf.org.u...px#.Ud0euDuoq8A

Sorry for the delay in answering your question, Dave. I've been away guiding. Yes - that looks like the same one, comparing it with the rather more basic information I was given.

Tom

Pile of pants! (I am curtailing my language) I am left of centre but thinking of "One legged Black Lesbians commemorating 1914-18" as a title.

• 2 weeks later...

Pile of pants! (I am curtailing my language) I am left of centre but thinking of "One legged Black Lesbians commemorating 1914-18" as a title.

LOL