Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

World War I in Blackham, East Sussex

Richard Coomber

As well as my Shipley project, I run a website for my home village, Blackham, which is part of Withyham Parish in East Sussex, midway between Tunbridge Wells and East Grinstead.

I am planning to try and document the lives of the men from the village who served in WWI - according to the illuminated ROH in the church - that was 54 men out of a total population of a few hundred. I'm also keen to reflect the effect on those left behind, people like Doris Scales who became a bride, a mother and a widow all within a year, aged just 18.

The initial page for the project plus a link to the ROH of those who served is at http://www.blackham-village.co.uk/WWI%20help.html

Anyone having information, photographs, diaries, letters or other documents that will help the research, please get in touch.

I'm also happy to feed questions, and will share all information I receive

Thank you

Richard

Good luck with this Richard, what a brilliant idea. Great website. I'm a little bit further south than you, but if I do come across anything I'll be sure to pass along.

All the very best

Jim

Thanks for the notes and encouragement, chaps. I've had a good response so far and one cracking story is developing that I hope to put on the site before too long.

Michael, I'll certainly take up your suggestion

Richard

Yes please consider the Kent Sussex History Forum Richard , also it might be worth sending out press releases to local newspapers and radio. If you have publicity flyers, there seem to be quite a number of places in Sussex who will let you leave them out in their venues.

Please feel free to message me if you want to discuss this futher, Regards, Michael Bully

Thanks for the notes and encouragement, chaps. I've had a good response so far and one cracking story is developing that I hope to put on the site before too long.

Michael, I'll certainly take up your suggestion

Richard