Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Fusiliers in the Great War

Sue Light

I have 'The Royal Fusiliers in the Great War' by H. C. O'Neill - happy to extract any bits and pieces.

Regards - Sue

Sue,

Would be grateful for any info on the 20th battalion, 3rd Public Schools actions at the end of January 1916.

One of my local memorial men Private Douglas Taylor was killed on the 27th with this unit.

He is buried in Cambrin Churchyard Extension.

Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Bob.

Bob

Unfortunately the author finds very little to report about the Regiment on the Western Front between Hulloch in October 1915 and Hohenzollern Redoubt in March 1916, and nothing about the 20th Batallion until High Wood in July. Obviously too many Battalions and too much action in too few pages!

Regards - Sue

Sue

Harry King from the 20th Bn was killed in action on 16 April 1917 and is buried in HENINEL-CROISILLES ROAD CEMETERY, Pas de Calais, France.

Can you tell me what was happening around that date please.

Michael

Michael

16th April 1917 - Page 166:

'Oppy - On April 16th another attempt was made to test the strength of the Oppy line. A daylight raid was ordered to be made by the 17th Battalion, and Lieutenant Brodie and three men moved out at 3 p.m. It was not the sort of adventure which encourages the soldier. The small party were sniped from Arleux and never had a chance of doing more than swell a casualty list. Brodie was wounded and taken prisoner. Corporal Town was killed. Another man was wounded and made prisoner. Only one returned to report that the wire was thick and unbroken. The battalion were ordered on the following day to find three companies to enter the Oppy switch line and bomb it clear with the help of the 2nd Oxford and Bucks. Fortunately the division prevented this project being carried out. Four separate brigades attempted to take this line later on, and all failed. The defence had, in fact, made a recovery, as the 20th Battalion also discovered when they attacked south-east of Heninel on the same day. This small operation attained no success.'

Regards - Sue

• 5 weeks later...

Sue,

I would be vaery grateful if you could check your records and tell me what the 11th (City of London) Royal Fusiliers were up to on 23rd October 1917. Also what the 2nd battalion were doing on 25th August 1918.

Many thanks

Alec

Sue,

Could you dig up anything on the 2nd battalion's actions April 24th 1917, particularly any mention of Captain Spencer Thomson MC.

Would be most grateful for any info.

Bob.

Sue,

Could I trouble you for another look up?

Another of my local memorial men, died in Maitland Hospital S/Africa March 12th 1917.

Died of wounds, member of the 25th Battalion, East African campaign.

If you would be so kind, just a brief outline of any of the battalions actions leading up to this date would be great.

Many thanks,

Bob.

Bob

There's not a satisfactory explanation in the book. It outlines the action on January 4th 1917, when the Battalion were in action near Behobeho, and then continues:

'The position was taken. Behobeho was occupied, and the bank of the Rufigi. But the rains were at hand. The battalion were marched back to Morogoro, and then went to the Cape for three month's rest. On May 12th 1917, this very welcome break came to an end, and the battalion left Cape Town en route for Lindi........'

If you would like the details of the January 1917 action anyway, just let me know.

Regards - Sue

Sue,

Once again thanks for the help.

I think with him DOW in March that he must have been wounded at Behobeho and then to hospital at the cape.

Very grateful for your help.

Bob.

Sue

Any chance of mentions of Military Medal awards ? The man in question is G.C.Miles (survived the war).

Thank you

Sue

Thanks for your generous offer.

Is there much mention of the 45th and 46th Battalions in North Russia in 1919? I'm interested in the campaign against the Bolsheviks, and have noticed that the two Battalions concerned are often omitted from lists of Royal Fusiliers units.

About a company of the 45th were ex-AIF men, two of whom were awarded VCs.

Cheers

Dolphin

Sue,

Any chance of yet another look up for me!!!

After any info on the 2nd battalions actions between 9-11th September 1916.

Any help as always gratefully recieved.

Bob.

There is no mention of them for this period. I believe they were somewhere near Ypres from the end of July to mid-October.

• 3 weeks later...

Sue,

Any chance of a copy of whatever you managed to find for Dolphin? I'm interested in a William Edward Wright, 45th Bn, k.i.a 14 September 1919 and commemorated on the Archangel Memorial.

Thanks,

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Sue,

Please could you let me have some details concerning the actions of the 1st Bn on July 31st, 1917.

Thanks.

Andy.

• 3 months later...

Sue

Does the history have any mention of the 2/4th Batt City of London Regt around about 30 October 1917 (That would be the 2/4th Batt which was originally the 3rd/4th but changed after the original 2/4th Batt was disbanded :blink: )

Many thanks

Will

Will

The 2/4th get a tiny mention in the action of October 25th 1917, together with the 2/2nd and 2/3rd, but nothing on the 30th - that seems to concern the 7th only. I'll copy the extract of the 25th later and let you have it.

Regards - Sue

2/4 Battalion would have been out of the line on the 30 October 1917. 173 Brigade had been in action on 26 October at Poelcappelle but were relieved by 2/7 Londons during 27/28 October.

I have extracts from the war diary of 2/1 Londons which does mention 2/4 Londons. If you would like a copy please email/PM off forum.

SueL Posted on Mon, 20 Oct 2003 07:06:25 +0000

The 2/4th get a tiny mention in the action of October 25th 1917, together with the 2/2nd and 2/3rd, but nothing on the 30th - that seems to concern the 7th only. I'll copy the extract of the 25th later and let you have it.

Sue Many thanks

Mark Posted on Mon, 20 Oct 2003 07:56:28 +0000

2/4 Battalion would have been out of the line on the 30 October 1917. 173 Brigade had been in action on 26 October at Poelcappelle but were relieved by 2/7 Londons during 27/28 October.

I have extracts from the war diary of 2/1 Londons which does mention 2/4 Londons. If you would like a copy please email/PM off forum. 

Mark - Very curious as I have a chap i'm researching who went missing in action on the 30th - Will email you for the details - Thanks very much for the offer.

Will