Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RSM J.Hurd, 1st Worcesters

Paul Reed

I am doing some research on RSM J. Hurd of the 1st Worcesters who was killed in Normandy in August 1944, aged 45. He is buried in Banneville War Cemetery and I chanced across his grave while there this week.

hurd01.JPG

He served in WW1, but with which regiment I don't know. His MM also appears to be for WW1, as I have the 1st Worcesters WW2 unit history and he is not listed among the Hons & Awards.

If anyone can help out with his MIC, details of his MM or an obituary, then I would be grateful.

Paul.

Before I gave up on the 66 hits I had on the London Gazette site I found this man, awarded the MM and listed in the LG Supplement 20 August 1919.

46711 Pte (A/L Sgt) J Hurd, MM, 4th York & Lanc Rgt. From London E.C.

There may of course be others.

John.

Thanks for that John - a good starting point. The only NOK details I have is from the register, which shows his wife living at Chester around WW2.

Paul,

The only thing I can add is from the "Army Roll of Honour - World War II" (Soldiers Died in the Second World War CD-ROM).

This says Born: Staffordshire, Residence : Chester.

Dave

Paul,

The only thing I can add is from the "Army Roll of Honour - World War II" (Soldiers Died in the Second World War CD-ROM).

This says Born: Staffordshire, Residence : Chester.

Dave

........and that his first name was John. (whether this fact helps or not, I don't know!)

Dave.