Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th, and 8th, York and Lancs War diaries available, free to anyone int

MRJOHNJ

I recently downloaded the above war diaries from the national archives, unfortuanately it is in pdf form and I cannot work out how to send as an attachment in an email, but if anyone would like them and they know how to I would be quite happy to send them, other than that I can send the diaries as individual pages.

John

John - please be aware that downloaded war diary PDF files are copyright and must not be passed to anyone else. See the recent announcement about the GWF and Copyright

Alan

John - please be aware that downloaded war diary PDF files are copyright and must not be passed to anyone else. See the recent announcement about the GWF and Copyright

Alan

Thanks for that Alan.

Unbelievable.QED.

Cant all be perfect can we now. John

No John, you can't.... Especially if you choose not to read the TNA conditions which state quite clearly that you cannot make copies of their material..... and you cant "be perfect" if you choose to ignore the GWF conditions and rules. What you were offering to do was a blatant breach of copyright law which not only puts you at risk but all the owners of the GWF as well.

The good news for you is that you are not alone as the threads on this section will attest. The bad news for the forum is that there is a long paper trail. I know the Mods are on top of this, so this is not a criticism of the Forum.

MG

No John, you can't.... Especially if you choose not to read the TNA conditions which state quite clearly that you cannot make copies of their material..... and you cant "be perfect" if you choose to ignore the GWF conditions and rules. What you were offering to do was a blatant breach of copyright law which not only puts you at risk but all the owners of the GWF as well.

The good news for you is that you are not alone as the threads on this section will attest. The bad news for the forum is that there is a long paper trail. I know the Mods are on top of this, so this is not a criticism of the Forum.

Point taken, but not to worry, wasn't ignoring any rules but was merely ignorant to them, and regarding TNA and copyright laws to be quite honest its the last thing on my mind so as I said before everythings been taken on board and in future I will try not to be too keen in offering help. Thanks, John.

MG

• 1 month later...
Guest IanNeilCropper

What a shame documents such as these cannot be freely shared. Although they call it copyright protection, it's more about 'income protection'! Sadly, some of us don't have the wherewithal to pay the necessary subscriptions for the documents that help flesh out the lives of our brave ancestors. I'm hoping therefore that someone may have the records pertaining to machine gunner 34360 Lance Corporal Frederick Adams, 8th Battalion, Yorks & Lancasters. He was killed in action presumably in France and Flanders on 14/08/1917....or 30/09/1917. The online record isn't very clear (I'm researching this from Australia). I presume he was awarded his Military Medal at the same time. I can't find the citation for the award either nor the mention in the London Gazette. Nor can I find where his body now rests. Any help would be most appreciated. And just to reinforce what I said about the copyright situation, if you go to the wonderful Border's Regiment site, you can freely access the war diaries and also where your ancestor is buried. This helped me uncover what happened to Private Robert Anthony who died aged 31 on the first day of the Battle of the Somme. Regards, Ian Cropper

Ian. The digitised War Diaries at The National Archives (TNA) cost a mere £3.36. You dont need to take out any subscription. There is a large scale project underway to digitise a considerable number of the War Diaries and when they are done they will be available for £3.36 from TNA. These are Crown copyright and the money goes towards preserving these assets. TNA does not make a profit. In fact it is prevented from making a profit by the Govt.

Very few war diaries have been transcribed and made available online. The Border Regt war diaries have thankfully been done as have a few other Regiments such as the Wiltshire Regt and the Berkshire Regt (in hard copy format) available via the regimental website. It is important to remember that a transcription is the copyright of the transcriber. Images of the original documents such as those made avilable by TNA remain Crown Copyright. Of the 1,600 plus British infantry battalions formed in WWI, only a small fraction have so far been digitised and even fewer have been transcribed.

The 8th and 9th Bn York and Lancaster Regt War Diaries for Aug 1915 - Oct 1917 are available for £3.36 online via the National Archives website. The file ref is WO 95/2188. They are part of the 23 Div, 70th Inf Bde war diary bundle.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C4555339

The 8th Bn War Diary from Nov 1917 to Nov 1919 exists but has not been digitised (yet). The Ref is WO 95/4240.

MG

• 5 years later...

Ian, better late than never, just came across this old post of mine and saw your reply, I've read the same records as you regarding Fred Adams bt managed to get the commonwealth war graves commission info for him if you're still looking.

ADAMS_FREDERICK.pdf