Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

90079 Alexander Nicol Dunn 2Bn Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

ndunn1944

Until recently I knew very little about my grandad's brother Alexander Nicol Dunn who was born in Old Kilpatrick in 1885. Our family story said he died after the great war & was given a Military Funeral & the whole town turned out led by the Provost. Apparently the story was in a newspaper.

Recently with a lot of help from some lovely people I've discovered the following.

The Medal Card of 9079 Pte Alexander Dunn, 2nd Battalion Argyle & Sutherland Highlanders , shows that he was discharged on 12/1/1916 according to King's Regulations Para.392 Subparagraph.xxi (i.e."on the termination of his period of engagement").

He enlisted in the 4th (Extra Reserve/Militia) Battalion Argyle &Sutherland Highlanders on the 13/1/1902, but transferred "To Argyle & Sutherland Highlanders' a Regular battalion a year later on 13/1/03, and the number 9079 is consistent with a regular enlistment in Jan.

His period of engagement with the Regulars would be 12 years - normally 7 with the colours plus 5 in Reserve, so Alexander would have been transferred to the Reserve (sent home but liable for call up) on 12/1/10, and his 12 years would have expired on 12/1/15 if there hadn't been a war!

On the outbreak of war he would have been called up, and his total service period extended for one year, taking us to 12/1/16 (the date on the MIC), after which he would have to be discharged.

I have just two days ago managed to get a copy of the Newspaper cutting regarding his funeral (ATTACHED) & it tells me Alexander was age 42 & died in November 1927. He joined the Argyle & Sutherland Highlander's after the Boer War & had served in Africa. He became a Sergeant gaining the Mons Star & the Military Medal. After the War his health became impaired & he lived a somewhat retired life in Old Kilpatrick. Up until 1925 he led the annual parade to the War Memorial on Armistice Sunday so he must have been known as a hero in the town. Alexander died a Pauper & friends have searched for his headstone in the Cemetery to no avail. Paupers wouldn't have had one yet he'd obviously been well liked in the town.

I can't find a record of his Military Medal, but my son found this piece in the London Gazette & we wonder could this be 'my' Alexander Nicol Dunn? S/10439 L./Sjt. A. Dunn, Arg. & SutH'd Highrs

Can any of you experts help?

Many thanks, Norman Dunn

post-100158-0-01991800-1372435679_thumb.

Hello John & thanks for reading my Post. We had noticed that it was a different number. My son wondered if it was because when he signed up again in 1914 it was a few years since he'd been in the Army & he wanted to be in his old regiment . This could be when he was given a new Service Number. We are a bit green regarding Army records & how things were wrote down so hopefully this explains it. On the other hand someone experienced in the Army ways of doing things might say we are wrong.. Thanks again for your comments.

The chap your son found in the Gazette has a different service number from your Alexander.

Hi,

As he was discharged "time served" in 1916 he would have been liable to conscription or perhaps as mentioned in the newspaper article he even

reenlisted voluntarily

Either way he would have been allocated a new regimental number.

Have you searched Ancestry for both service numbers?

The London Gazette entry usuall gives a hometown - have you checked?

Steve Y

Norman

Although Sgt. Dunn lived in Old Church Place, Old Kilpatrick, he died in Larbert on 9 November 1927. His wife's name was Martha McCallum and his parents names were John and Rosina Dunn m.s Campbell.

Douglas

The father of the Alexander Dunn who joined the A&SH via the militia was called John (Militia record via findmypast).

Roger.

Thank you Steve Y, John & Douglas. YES I knew Alexander Nicol Dunn's parents were John Dunn & Rosena Campbell as they were my great grandparents. I also knew that Alexander married Martha McCallum in 1910 and he died in Nov 1927. I recently discovered he died in Larbert & had been in 11 months & he was a Pauper. What my son found in the London Gazette surely must be him. What are the odds of two A Dunn's both in the Argyle & Sutherland Highlanders & both with the Military Medal? Thanks again for the help so far.

When Alexander Nicol Dunn transferred from the Militia (which was like the TA nowadays) into the Regular Full time army in 1903 he was given the number 9079. He kept this number when he went into the reserves in 1910, as he was still officially a soldier. When the war started in 1914, he was called straight back up, and had the same number, as he was still technically a soldier being a reservist. When his 12 years plus 12 months service in Jan 1916 (12 months added due to the war) expired he was demobilised, and his 9079 number ceased to exist.

He then chose to re enlist, and was then given another number (as we know from his medal card, 9079 didn’t carry on after Jan 1916). I think his new number was 10439 from then on, and he won the Military Medal during his service with this new number.

• spof changed the title to 90079 Alexander Nicol Dunn 2Bn Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders