Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nelson and Jellicoe

Gary Charles

Bill, perhaps you are as close as anybody to summing Jutland up. In the words of the Black Knight in the Holy Grail "Oright we'll call it a draw".

Actually, I agree with Terry - I would like to learn more.

Could I be cheeky and ask those much more knowledgeable than me (that's pretty well anyone, then) if they could recommend any good starter titles?

I would say that this is an excellent starting point: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0140096507

Thanks, Simon. A good start.

Many thanks I will have a look

Terry.

Peter Hart, someone who has contributed on this thread, produced a very decent book on Jutland. Jutland 1916: Death on the grey wastes. I would recommend it. Naval Battles of the First World War by Geoffrey Bennett is an old one but a book I found very interesting when I first got into the subject.

Peter Hart, someone who has contributed on this thread, produced a very decent book on Jutland. Jutland 1916: Death on the grey wastes. I would recommend it. Naval Battles of the First World War by Geoffrey Bennett is an old one but a book I found very interesting when I first got into the subject.

Many thanks Terry

Tarrant's 'Jutland: the German perspective' is an essential complement to whichever of the many Jutland books from the British viewpoint you choose to read.

Could I have a letter for Mrs Broomfield? I suspect she might notice these arriving.

Ordered Hart's and Tarrant's books, once again the book shelves will groan.

Regards Terry

Robert K. Massie's 'Castles of Steel' makes good reading IMO, and is easily available.

Regards,

MikB

Actually, I agree with Terry - I would like to learn more.

Could I be cheeky and ask those much more knowledgeable than me (that's pretty well anyone, then) if they could recommend any good starter titles?

if you have not already read it, "The battle of Jutland" by Geoffrey Bennett would be a good start. "The War at Sea" by JulianThompson covers Jutland and the decisions taken post Jutland that lead to the reintroduction of unrestricted submarine warfare is another book that may be worth reading. of course these two titles are RNcentric.

There is a book about the damage done to the HSF but I can't remember title or author.

The Naval Library at Portsmouth has a contemorary account written and illustrated at the time which describes and shows the extensive damage to British ships. It was a great deal more than acknowledged by the authors you mention. It should be a great beginning point. Most of those mentioned so far trot out the same old same old. They quote the official line offered at the time. For instance giving Warspite as being hit 13 times, when actually it was like 29. See Fawcett and Hooper and the report at Portsmouth. Cheers.

If you're looking for a detailed analysis of the fighting at Jutland, and of the damaged sustained/caused by some of the larger ships, suggest John Campbell's Jutland: An Analysis of the Fighting. First published in 1986, if I recall correctly it was reprinted by Conway.

Edit: Just looked it up on line. It's still available: http://www.amazon.co.uk/books/dp/0870213245