Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major Norman Ruthven Anderson 130th Baluchis

daisy2005

Hi There, I realise it may be a long shot, but i'm looking for any items of uniform and equipment that belonged to Major Norman Ruthven Anderson. Norm died on 20th November 1914 whilst superintending the embarkation of his sepoy's at Alexandria Docks in Bombay. Newspapers of the time stated that he was standing with the Adjutant when a Mahsud Waziri, aiming to murder the Adjutant bayonetted him in the back by mistake. The soldier concerned was court martialled and executed at the docks two days later. Norm passed through Sandhurst in 1894, the same time as Churchill I believe, served at Mekran in 1898, and then was in Shanghai in 1900 with the China Expeditionary Force .. I have managed to find his China Medal and Dehli Durber medal for 1911, and have a couple of photographs of him with his unit, so anything else would be a bonus.. Cheers Charlie

• 7 months later...

Hi, Am from 130th Baluchis now known as 12 Baloch Regiment of Pakistan Army. lets see what i can do to find out the required things. You may also send all the pics(with captions) aval with you on my email account i.e, wasi119@hotmail.com or Facebook using the same address, as we are also working on reviewing the history of our regiment. Any effort from your side will be appreciated. please.

Thanks for your concerns, the article explains the performance of 130th Baluchis in better way. If you have some material especially the pics regarding 130th baluchis please let me know. The effort will be appreciated

Wasi

Hi Wasi and Harry

I have some pics I can send / post on here, I am just trying to work out how to do it. I also have a lot of information about the Mekran expedition in 1898 which I got from the National Army Musuem ( apparently The Co was arguing that the 30th (as it was then) should have received the India Medal (1895) but with a clasp for Mekran. He made a very good argument for it but lost in the end as they didn't consider it to be important enough to warrant a medal..

I also have a couple of newspaper articles that describe the assassination and of the execution of the soldier who carried our the assassination.. I was lucky enough to come across his medals a couple of years ago (China 1900 and Dheli Durber) so I can send pictures of those as well.. The photo I have of Norman shows him with his fellow officers and senior nco's.. it was taken in 1905 and has the names of all the officers.

I will try and get them on here soon

Charlie

just worked out how to add attachments but the pics are all between 700KB and 1MB and the max download size is 250KB.. Wasi I will try to send them to you by email..

Charlie

Charlie

If you download Picasa from here; http://picasa.google.com/

and play around with it then you can shrink pictures to fit on here.

I've mentioned the 1898 Mekran operations here: http://www.kaiserscross.com/304501/420601.html

(I served with Baluchi soldiers in he Dhofar war in Oman, so I'm interested in Baluchistan.)

Harry

post-96541-0-25629800-1391648857_thumb.j

Have managed to attach this one which was taken in 1905 and has all the officers named.. Harry thanks for the link to the articles, I have seen them before , interesting stuff.. I have a copy of the field report submitted by Col Mayne into the Mekran operation that ill try and load at some point which I found at the National Army Museum.. not sure if that was your source for the article.. feels like they were short changed out of a gong.. but I suppose that how it was in those days..

I bet serving with the Baluchis in Dhofar was interesting, I can only speculate who you were with... fierce bunch if anything like their forbears.. I did a short stint with the artillery in the 80's , NI was not so exotic.. only discovered my military ancestors since leaving the army.. Norman had a brother who survived him who was initially an officer in 128th Bombay Pioneers.. and then served as a cantonment magistrate.. a sad ending to what could have been a great career (or not given the onset of the Great war).. I also have his Sandhurst Photo , he was at Sandhurst at the same time as Winston Churchill.post-96541-0-25629800-1391648857_thumb.jpost-96541-0-25629800-1391648857_thumb.j

not sure how I managed to post the pic 3 times.. sorry.

Thanks for uploading the pic, i must acknowledge that i previously never new the participation of 30th Bombay inf in Mekran expedition, As you said that you have pic of Major Norman when he was at Sandhurst. We may use the picture in Unit history book as i mentioned earlier. You may please send rest of the Photos on my email account i.e, wasi119@hotmail.com.

Regards

Wasi.....

• 8 months later...

Can anyone help me locate any primary sources on Major Anderson's death?

I have accessed information about the mutinous conduct of the 130th whilst in Rangoon but this is one of a number of examples I have of collective insubordination, I am now on the look out for individual cases where one or maybe two Indian soldiers took out a grievance with their officer(s).

I would be grateful for anything on Major Anderson or indeed any other examples of this that people may have/be aware of.

Thanks.

• 3 years later...

Sometimes its wrongly spelled as Anderton as I found in news items from 1914-the lines may have been a bit crackly or just as likely the journalists were getting wired so to speak- late at night when they were tired and emotional.  This from the Belfast Telegeraph

Ruth Page-1-Image-1 .jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/06/2013 at 23:15, daisy2005 said:

Hi There, I realise it may be a long shot, but i'm looking for any items of uniform and equipment that belonged to Major Norman Ruthven Anderson. Norm died on 20th November 1914 whilst superintending the embarkation of his sepoy's at Alexandria Docks in Bombay. Newspapers of the time stated that he was standing with the Adjutant when a Mahsud Waziri, aiming to murder the Adjutant bayonetted him in the back by mistake. The soldier concerned was court martialled and executed at the docks two days later. Norm passed through Sandhurst in 1894, the same time as Churchill I believe, served at Mekran in 1898, and then was in Shanghai in 1900 with the China Expeditionary Force .. I have managed to find his China Medal and Dehli Durber medal for 1911, and have a couple of photographs of him with his unit, so anything else would be a bonus.. Cheers Charlie

brilliant piece of information sir