Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeebrugge and Royal Marines

RMLI-East

Greetings:

Although I have been involved in various related fora, I am a newbie to GWF. I am delighted to be aboard and look forward to contributing to the discussion.

My primary interests are: a) the activities of the Royal Marines in the Eastern Colonies, during all periods, (including, of course, the years around the Great War); and b ) the activites of the Royal Navy's Armoured Car Division in the Great War.

That said, (although a little off-topic) I have just acquired the medals of a Marine who participated in (and, in fact, was KIA during) the Zeebrugge Raid: PLY 13578 Pte Ernest Edward ATTWOOD, (4th Royal Marine Battalion). Here is the link to his Commonwealth War Graves Commission entry: http://www.cwgc.org/..., ERNEST EDWARD

I have already downloaded his ADM 159 from the NA website. From this (see extracts below) I have several questions with which I would be most grateful to receive any assistance.

1. 1. Am I correct in assuming that Attwood served (effectively) all of his career in H Company, Plymouth Division; and if so, is there any way to find out more details about their movements and activities during his dates of service?

2. How do the RM divisions relate to Battalions? – ie., it was the 4th Bn which took part in the Zeebrugge Raid – but, although I see the marginal notation in the ledger sheet below that Attwood was in the 4th Bn, it still seems that his “primary” posting,(my terminology) at the time of the Raid, was to H Company, Plymouth Division;

3. When was the 4th Bn formed?; I notice that Attwood was posted to Portsmouth (again, seemingly while still serving in the H Coy, Plymouth Division) on 22 Feb 1918… is that when he would have joined the 4th bn?

4. Is it possible to ascertain which ship he served in during the Raid? Invincible?... Iris? … Daffodil?

5. I understand the FAA Museum has service records of RMs for the period… can anyone please tell me what sort of additional information one might expect to obtain from such records.

6. Finally, does anyone know if the RM Historical Society Journal has published any articles on the Zeebrugge Raid?

I apologise for the extensive questioning on my first posting. I hope to be an equal contributor of information in the future.

Thank you, to any one who might be able to help me with any of the above queries.

RMLI-East

post-100064-0-11271100-1372079394_thumb. post-100064-0-53804800-1372079405_thumb.

Wecome to the GWF.

'H' was the Plymouth Div.HQ company to which he was assigned on enlistment. This company structure applied only in barracks.These companies rarely (if ever) deployed as a formed body and his HQ Company could have changed during his service.. His movements are in the record you have posted.

The 4th RM Battalion drew on men from all three RMLI divisions and the RMA. While in 4/RM (from 22 Feb 1918) he remained 'on the books' of HQ Plymouth for pay and admin.

4/RM had been first formed for service in Ireland but it never went there and men were used to reinforce RMLI battalions of the RND in the BEF. Drafting out of 4/RM was halted in early 1918 and the battalion was brought up to strength during February. His five days at Portsmouth was probably a preliminary move to joining 4/RM at RM Depot Deal.

His attestation pack at the FAA Museum may have more details: http://www.fleetaira..._documents.aspx

None of the RMHS Special Publications covers Zeebrugge but there may have been past articles in their journal "The Sheet Anchor".

Edit OP - for INVINCIBLE read VINDICTIVE

Edited by horatio2

Thank you, Horatio2; I very much appreciate your insights.

Hi there.

Give me a shout as I've quite a bit on him, although I did supply most of it to the previous owner. Attwood was on HMS Vindictive for the raid, attached to the Machine Gun section made up of men from different RM divisions, unlike the other Platoons that took part.

I have written an article on the raid in Sheet Anchor and can send you a copy.

Attwood is buried in the same grave as Yeo of Sig John Buckley RN, who had previously won a DSM.

You can contact me at:

zeebrugge1918

@

gmail

.com

Hi there. Give me a shout as I've quite a bit on him,

Thank you Dom. That is very kind of you; and much appreciated. I shall drop you a line.