Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

UK Cemetery/Memorial photo requests. ALL NOW ALLOCATED :)

Bardess

:thumbsup:

DSC03882_zpse8b2072a.jpg

As you can see, the grass and weeds around the headstone have been cleared; this was done by Dave Rigby of the Cemeteries Department, Blackburn with Darwen Council, who met me at the cemetery today and showed me where it is. In a corner of the cemetery on its own and in a dip, beyond the common ground (where the paupers were buried) and 30 yards from any other headstone! No wonder I couldn't find it.

Here are some more general views of Blackburn Cemetery taken today. In the first one you're looking at the rear of the headstones and there are headstones hidden within all the bushes in all the photos. Chatting to Mr Rigby confirmed the impression I've got elsewhere that those who are employed in cemeteries departments both take an interest in, and care about, where they work. The reason for lack of upkeep is totally down to councils and their continually making budget cuts for the maintenance of cemeteries.

DSC03879_zps7db7e9fa.jpg

DSC03878_zps59187d50.jpg

DSC03870_zpse150f127.jpg

DSC03869_zps5ccdb62c.jpg

Thank you sooooo much, Berenice and, if you have email contact with Dave Rigby, please convey my thanks to him too. It seems this cemetery needs a 'Friends of' to clear what must be a haven for wildlife but a traumatic trek for relatives to pay their respects.

I now have a full headstone with inscription - very much appreciated [and thanks for spotting it in previous post]

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to neverforget [steve] who has supplied 2 pix and quite a tale full of mystery and dedicated people. I'll let him tell you the story.

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies for my temporary absence on this one Di. Have been recruited by my Sergeant-Major to finish my (last ever) building project at home, but I haven`t forgotten you.

I`m going to tackle Smethwick Uplands first.

I promise a "return to action" within the next two weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Di.

I had planned to go to work on your pictures today, but I`m struggling to find a map for Uplands cemetery, so slight delay I`m afraid.

I have placed a post in the "cemeteries" sub-forum, asking for assistance, but it looks like no-one has it.

It has been suggested that I contact the C.W.G.C. as apparently they hold maps of all their grave plots, so watch this space, as they say.

Sorry for the delay.

Steve.

I haven't forgotten Haslar, it's just I don't cross the harbour that often - I'll get there eventually.

Keith

Hi

Just as a matter of interest, who is it from Uplands ??

Regards,

Graeme

Hello Graeme, I`ll P.M. the list to you. Too large to post here.

Steve.

Oh dear, I didn't realise it would be such a problem. Thanks for sticking with it Steve.

Keith, thanks. I'm in no hurry so wander over there at your leisure

Diane,

I should have some free time this weekend and could get to Handsworth

Roy

Oh, that would be wonderful Roy, thank you

154523 Sapper Frank JONES 10B 8637

Z/742 Rifleman Frederick Charles LONGMORE 3D 4109

418130 Private Alfred MAULL 10D 8606

Di.

E-mails sent taking care of all men on the screen wall at Uplands.

Thanks be due to Graeme for these.

Morning

A pleasure and thanks to Steve to prompting me to look at my external hard drive. Completely forgotten I'd got them !!!!

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme, thank you, the images are perfect

Roy, I've received a very pleasant surprise in that the headstone for Rfm LONGMORE has been supplied by John(txic)

Mahoosive thanks to Peter Bennett for calling in some favours on my behalf and completing this wants list. I've received 2 lovely pix from Mick McCann [thanks Mick] of British War Graves Project [via Peter] and a promise from Friends of Cathays Cemetery. All in all this little [?] project has been a wonderful experience and a whole load of new friends gained :wub: :poppy:

• 1 month later...

I'm very happy to announce that my first donation has been delivered courtesy of 'neverforget'. Steve kindly accepted GBP20 and chose Barnardo's - a very worthwhile charity

• 2 months later...

The largest portion of the UK cemeteries - Smethwick [uplands] and Smethwick Old Churchyard has been completed by neverforget and Stuggs - only 1 left to find. Soooo many pix have been received of the highest quality. I can't thank you enough :thumbsup: :poppy:

• 3 months later...

This is not intended as a 'hurry-up' but just stating that only Haslar Royal Navy Cemetery and Plymouth Naval Memorial are the only outstanding requests. [Trying to keep this post alive actually :D ]

Ouch. Sorry Diane - I have managed to be missing on the last two opportunities to meet up with pals in Gosport. I'll get there within days or look again for that revolver with the single bullet.

Keith

Thanks, once again, to Peter Bennett who has stepped in and provided some lovely pix of Plymouth Naval Memorial. :poppy:

• 2 weeks later...

Keith crossed the harbour and, I'm very happy to say, has completed the list with some excellent pix. Hooray!!!!! Actually the headstones are very unusual at Haslar and a little on the difficult side to read. Apparently the metal plaques were replaced around 15 years ago. Thank you Keith

Never have I owed such a huge debt of gratitude to so many willing volunteers. A most humbling experience I must say.