Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soloman Harold Gillis

ALCTay

This soldier was incapacitated by cardiac debility brought on by diphtheria contracted on ordinary service and his service papers online include his medical board reports. http://search.ancest...ishArmy&indiv=1

This is the final report.

pensions records medical review notes

I read this as "report of med Bd 15.9.17 Through Cardiac Debility only Prevents no Incapacity through Pulmonary Tuberculosis only Prevents Total Incapacity... Further Sanatorium Treatment Ex 30.7.18"

My question is, does the note about Pulmonary Tuberculosis mean that this was part of his disability due to service? If this man died from Pullmonary Tuberculosis would he have been due a commemoration?

Amanda

I think this a bit of an odd one. There is certainly the note on the file which attributes his diptheria to "ordinary military service", although it beats me how the medics come to that conclusion. There is also, as you point out, the mention of TB being a result of the diptheria. As such, if cause of death is also TB, then there's a case to be made to CWGC/MoD. It doesnt feel like the strongest case I've ever seen but worth a punt, I think. Do you have the death certificate or are you planning to get it?

John

Thanks for taking a look John,

I do have the certificate (image below) and it stated he died from 'Plithisis' another term for Pulmonary Tuberculosis.

I bought the certificate, mainly because his story intrigued me, it's easy to feel the injustice of men who fought and died without commemoration but looking at the records for Solomon show a sad story. He was a shipping clerk and enlisted on 29/8/1914 aged 24. He caught Diphtheria during training with the Liverpool Scottish and his heart was affected, it would appear that he was seriously ill from the day of his discharge on 26/4/15 to his death on 5/4/1918. He was willing to fight for his country but never got the chance, he still suffered and died but in a quiet way that brought no glory or recognition. The only reason I came across this was that his family put on his headstone "late 10th Liverpool Scottish" so they must have been proud of the fact that he enlisted.

Should I report this via the IFCP website or can you take it from here?

death cert Solomon H Gillis

Amanda

Hi Amanda

is this one getting sorted

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

I've been on holiday since my last post so haven't got any further, can you take this one on from here or suggest what I need to do next?

Thanks,

Amanda

Can you Pm me please Amanda; however will not be able to deal until Thurs

Chris