Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Attack on Bellewarde-16 June 1915

jim_davies

I'd appreciate any details on the role of the 1st Lincolns during the attack on Bellewarde. I checked the main site and have a good idea of the overall action, but wondered if anyone has anything additional on the Lincolns.

My understanding is they (with the Liverpool Scottish) formed the second wave for the attack.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim

Will check in their History and come back to you next week (off to Arras

this weekend) if no one comes back to you with info.

Regards

Geoff

On the 16th of June 15 the Liverpool Scottish the Railway Wood area see this website http://www.liverpoolscottish.org.uk/stoneunv.htm it gives information about the unvailing of the memorial there (not the best place to bring your car on a wet day due to the muck :lol: ) The website should be pretty interesting as the 1st Lincons went forward with the Liv. Scots. As far as I can remember there is a pretty good account of the action in Lyn McDonald's book 1915 you should be able to get it in your local library and a picture of the attack with the Liv. Scot. is on the front cover (a better one of the website though !)

Conor :D

Thanks Guys,

Geoff-any help from the history would be much appreciated. Have fun in Arras.

Conor-Thanks for the references. I'll have to hunt down McDonald's "1915". It was one of the first Great War books I read-long before I knew anything about my family's service. (That and Middlebrooks "Kaiser's Battle").

There is another page on the same website you cited:

http://www.liverpoolscottish.org.uk/history.htm

This also has some good info on the Liverpool Scottish, (and hence the Lincolns). Especially a detailed description of Bellewarde and the aftermath.

My g-g-uncle George William Boyall was wounded withLincolns during this action. GS Back. Couple of weeks ago finally got his service papers, so I'm gradually trying to put evrything into perspective.

All the best,

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Jim

Let me have your email address and I will forward

the relevant information form the Lincolns history

Geoff