Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British library newspaper collection

2li

Has any member subscribed to the online Newpapers at the British Library, and is it worth it, I ask this has I am researching newspaper obituries of soldiers killed in WW1, has anyone had much sucess with this site,

and do they have all newspapers available. Any feedback with this topic much appriciated

Phil

Phil

I have a full subscription and have found it very useful in Great War research. But that is because it has the Liverpool Echo, close to my 'research base' for the full Great War period. Other areas, and there are MANY, are not as well represented. They DO NOT have all newspapers available, nor will they announce a schedule for additions.

If you like, I would be happy to do some look ups and/or research for you to help you assess its worth, just PM me the details.

As always, I'm happy do do look ups for other Forum Pals - within reason :)

Dear Stephen

Many thanks for reply do you think you could look up a few of these lads mainly from Cardiff, not sure what papers cover this area, and a couple of Crewe.

also are there any newpapers in the library for Herefordshire, Worcestershire,which ran editions for 1916

cheers for any leads

PHIL

Private, Philip I. T. Davies, 14354, 7TH KSLI killed-in-Action 18th August 1916, Age 18, born Cardiff, enlisted Cardiff; Son of William and Annie Davies, of 53, Glynne St., Canton, Cardiff

Private, Wilfred Refene Hall, 14881, 7TH KSLI killed-in-Action BATTLE OF BAZENTINE RIDGE 14th July 1916, Age 28, born Cardiff, enlisted Cardiff; Son of Isaac and Sarah Jane Hall, of 92, Neville St., Cardiff

Private, James Henry Jones, 26314, 7TH KSLI Killed-in-Action 13th November 1916, born Monks, Coppenhall, Crewe, enlisted Macclesfield, resident Crewe

Private, George William Tunstall, 26321, 7TH KSLI killed-in-Action 13th November 1916, Age 17, born St. John’s Crewe, enlisted Macclesfield; son of Mrs. E. Tunstall, of 6, Egan Rd., Birkenhead,

Have PM'd you

I have read the same newspapers are available on the pay site Find My Past to individuals with a Britain Full or World Wide subscription, but not via Find My Past library or community subscriptions. So if you already have a Find My Past subscription, you don't need to subscribe to the British Newspaper Archive

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/newspapers

Cheers

Maureen

Cheers Maureen

Mr. Stephen Nulty been a great help with the insite to the BNA, so much scope but like you say findmypast also a good tool to use, thanks again

PHIL

• 3 years later...
Guest Nigel Peever
On 11/06/2013 at 19:17, 2li said:

Private, James Henry Jones, 26314, 7TH KSLI Killed-in-Action 13th November 1916, born Monks, Coppenhall, Crewe, enlisted Macclesfield, resident Crewe

Hi James Henry Jones 26314 KSLI is my maternal Grandmother's Brother I have limited information and a photograph of him if you need to contact me nigelpeever@me.com sorry abot the delay just found this on a general internet search for Great Uncle James. 

I currently have a monthly subscription to the BNA. It's use obviously depends on which newspapers have been digitised. For my last Great War research project (6th Cheshires) it was not much help as none of the local newspapers were loaded. There was some use as the battalion did get some mentions in the papers from nearby localities.

I'm toying with a local history project for my local area and have simply entered the name of the village (as it then was)  and am slowly trawling through the several thousand references looking for "interesting" information. Most though are house sales/lets, phone numbers and servant vacancy ads. There have been the odd gems.

Do you think there is any way to find online editions of the Tatler (1914 - 1916 editions)?   I had resigned myself to waiting until I could get to the National Archives (years!) to do this.  Any other thoughts would be most welcome. 

Thanks and cheers

Shirley

Mike

Wrong publication I'm afraid, those  in the link are the year books of Winthrop University in the US. The books just happen to be named the same as the UK society publication.

TR

7 hours ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Mike

Wrong publication I'm afraid, those  in the link are the year books of Winthrop University in the US. The books just happen to be named the same as the UK society publication.

Thanks Terry, I kind of thought after posting, interesting enough though.

Good luck in your search Shirley.

Mike

• 1 month later...

I noticed that The Tatler had been added yesterday and found dozens of group pictures from the Great War period, many with the men named. Groups included officers and NCO's.

A couple of examples are attached

We have been asked about the use of material from the archive. Copyright material from any source is protected by law. The law is not simple and we are not lawyers and don't want to have threads full of legal argument. An initial view is that this is analogous to our stated policy on Medal Index Cards.

Members should only post images from protected sources if that is relevant to their own research interest and they are seeking help or clarification, and it would be responsible to limit the post to the specific part of a document on which advice is sought. Members should not post, or ask other members to post, copyright material from sources with which they don't have a legal agreement. 

In most cases the actual content, although not the image is a matter of public record and can be transcribed,  quoted., or identified whereas the image of the document is normally (unless otherwise stated by the source company), copyrighted.

Keith Roberts

for the GWF Team

3 hours ago, keithmroberts said:

We have been asked about the use of material from the archive.

Is it actively monitored, Keith? I note this thread has extensive imagery, much of it presumably from copyrighted soyrces?

Edited by Stephen Nulty

We rely on members to report copyright material, but obviously if one of us notices something during our own browsing we do intervene. Quite simply as volunteers with our own lives, at least in theory, we can't scan every post and there are many truly old ones that are not within the rules. By removing what we can, we can, if challenged, at least demonstrate that we are trying to respect copyright law.

Keith

KR- Thank you for illuminating the position with regard to copyright and GWF- that a material (eg a newspaper page) can be comfortably out of copyright but an image of it is the copyright property of the image owner. In addition, may I point out that  members of GWF putting up images from BNA  are also in breach of their contracts with BNA under which the images are supplied.  (Similarly, those who use library provided access to BNA-as I do- would be in breach, as invariably, we have to agree library terms and conditions before we can access the material-which always include respect for copyright provisions)

Alas, "Didn't think anyone would mind"  is not a known  defence before Mr. Justice Cocklecarrot and his Ilk.  

A problem with BNA is that it seems to have gone feral-  The BL project started with the sensible position of digitising the main provincial newspapers  as it would provide the greatest amount of fresh data not contained in the nationals. But BNA seem to have departed from any sensible scheme of digitisation -their lists of "accessions" show bits an pieces digitised all over the place, rather than the original scheme of working down through national to provincial to local

It is worth remembering that BL Newspapers holds microfilm of most local titles of any age and length- In an age of digitisation, many overlook that the microfilm project of the 1970s and 1980s resulted in BL having the master  negative, with the local libraries having a copy (and usually the physical file set of the original as well). Perhaps, in retrospect, the greatest shortcoming for work on the newspapers of the Great War is not only the slow progression of digitisation by BNA but also the decision by BL (in 2010??)  no longer to make copies of microfilmed newspapers available for purchase. That now appears to be a mistake. To me it would be sensible for BL to reverse that policy, given that BNA digitising is all over the place. Microfilm is'nt cheap but it's old BL prices were modest against the alternatives of do without or slog to Colindale.

There are also a considerable number of British newspapers available from the Americn equivalent of BNA-NewspaperArchive. com. Great site for quality of image- but gets hammered by the Better Business Bureau across the States for it's sticky fingers on taking debits. (It can be viewed from the Mormon site at Ntional Archives-which itself may not be there for much longer)

PS May I add a small rider to this?  As I have never tried to post an image, I may (well,almost invariably) speak from ignorance. Does GWF have anywhere some note about an image posted is the property of the poster and should not be used without permission (almost always gladly given)- similar to the condemnation of removal of artefacts. ie a littel statement of principle and courtesy.

Edited by Guest
More info