Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Government announces 2014-18 Programme

NigelS

Chris, if you`re referring to this:- "My personal connection has to be with the fact that my dad was from the Deep South and US African Americans came back from Europe and began the change that led to the Civil Rights movement" then it could be either war?

And given that her father was stationed in Britain during the last world war (and was therefore a US African American who came back from Europe) I'd think it was him she was talking about.

I suppose only BG will know what she meant. I claim no special knowledege of Afro-American history, but her clear reference to the "Civil Rights movement" and father's return from Europe in my mind appears to be about a post-WW2 period in the US of 1950's and 1960's which culminated in 1964 Civil Rights Act as promoted by President Kennedy. You are free to think otherwsie. Personally, I still cannot see how BG's father's experiences link to the Great War, other than to say that Afro-Americans returning from that conflcit contiuned to suffer unaccpetable discrimination, just as he may have post-WW2. In anycase, bad though it was, is discrimination or other feelings felt by Afro-Americans that served in the USA Army central to HMG's plans for 2014-2018?

So, thus far,according to the Forum, and in true British fashion. :lol:

Candlelight Church Ceremonies on 4th August 2014 i.e.an excuse to wear a forebear's WW1 medals in "his" memory.

An irritation that recovered WW1 remains have not yet been identified,where possible,and may be re-interred in advance of 2014-18.

Secondary Schools, in England, are funded to send two pupils plus a Teacher to Belgium/France in the 2014-18 period for WW1 purposes i.e. a "beano" for the kids despite what the teacher says. Ireland,Scots and Welsh schools have not or yet to be offered the same opportunity.

I'm sure HMG has the best of intentions in acknowledging WW1 but within modern day responsibilities e.g did HMG spend any money, in 1915, acknowledging Waterloo?

George

did HMG spend any money, in 1915, acknowledging Waterloo?

According to various newspapers events were planned but were postponed. It was felt inappropriate to so while we were at war again. A representative of the Duke of Wellington presented a banner to the Sovereign, but this was an annual event and not one specifically for the centenary.

"culminating with Katherine Jenkins singing Jerusalem"

This element would be good

And she needs the publicity - poor thing seems to have fallen out with her current backers owing to the fact that she spends a lot of their cash keeping herself looking as good as she does

Ah well,

Stephen

We are the last generation to have grown up with memories of those who served in the first war. Even the second war is starting to fade. My children,( probably like the children of most of the Forum members), grew up with grandfathers and great uncles who fought in the latter, and loved to hear stories about the North Atlantic Convoys. A lot of their exposure was because I am British and also my husband's parents were British. However, for them and most of their generation, the first world war is ancient history and any interest purely academic. Their children will have no connection with either war.

It is an exercise in futility for people to get worked up about other people's perception of the war. There will always be people who have an interest in history but the vast majority couldn't care less. As Jack suggested, one can add one's 2 cents where the opportunity presents itself and thus possibly, get some satisfaction.

Hazel

Jack's idea of keeping a watching brief on the press etc. seems a good one and I shall sharpen my e-mail pen now...

For what its worth I understand that Pen and Sword have so far commissioned 40 books on how the war affected towns and cities and this month they were featured in a writing magazine appealing for more 'volunteer' authors for other places. So a lot of publishing interest in the centenary.

Bernard

A Hansard report of the Parliamentary Westminster Hall debate 'First World War Commemoration' which took place yesterday is now available Here (haven't tried it, but there's also supposed to be a video of it Here)

NigelS

• Admin

Thank you for both the above

Kate, I literally laughed out loud!

Nigel, recommend the video rather than ploughing through the text!

Ken

As a founder member of the Haig Fellowship it was good to see Jack's comments about 'our' approach. It has worked pretty well. I have no hopes whatsoever for the official events around the anniversaries from 1914 -1918. I don't intend to attend any or participate in any. I shall just carry on doing my own Great War thing where and whenever I want on my own or with like minded friends.

As a founder member of the Haig Fellowship it was good to see Jack's comments about 'our' approach. It has worked pretty well. I have no hopes whatsoever for the official events around the anniversaries from 1914 -1918. I don't intend to attend any or participate in any. I shall just carry on doing my own Great War thing where and whenever I want on my own or with like minded friends.

Well said David, I am a like minded friend (I hope)!

Anne

• 1 month later...

Ditto David and Anne.