Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Government announces 2014-18 Programme

NigelS

I still do not understand why novelists have any place on the organising committee.

For the same reason that the War Poets are the primary educational source on WW1 for children; they repeat the same old cliches of futility which are far more palatable to the public than Edwardian ideals such as courage, patriotism, chivalry and, especially, willing self-sacrifice.

Stuart

On the basis that the trip is three days and two nights, this will be fine for those in Kent and Surrey, but for schools in Workington or Penzance? Some more thinking might be needed......Bruce

What about the kids up North, and what about Scotland? Huge trip for kids.

I thought Workington was up north! The education system in Sciotland is different, but I also find it difficult to understand why pupils in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland aren't included. Bruce

If that is a long way what about those from Northern Ireland what will they do fly? I presume they will be included. I can imagine the arguments caused by just selecting the pupils and how will they be travelling, on an organized trip run by one of the battlefield tour operators I guess. Is this right that only English schools will participate if so that cannot be right?

Quote:

The Department for Education and the Department for Communities and Local Government are also jointly funding a project which will provide the opportunity for two pupils and one teacher from every state funded secondary school in England to participate in battlefield tours of the western front from spring 2014 to March 2019.

Sounds like a complete "pig’s ear"

Norman

I thought Workington was up north! The education system in Sciotland is different, but I also find it difficult to understand why pupils in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland aren't included. Bruce

They are not included? Why not?

I thought they were in Britain?

Sounds like a right "pig’s ear"

Correct

Remember that fabulous BBC TV comedy show “Twenty Twelve” well if the 100th Commemorations are anything to go by that show looks more like a documentary every day.

Jenny Waldman, with 20 years’ experience as a producer of large scale international productions - including for Tate, Southbank Centre, Somerset House Trust and most recently as Creative Producer for the London 2012 Festival - has been appointed director of this programme and will work with cultural organisations and partners across Britain to deliver it over the four years. She will report to a Centenary Cultural Programme Board, chaired by Vikki Heywood CBE, Chairman of the RSA and former Executive Director of the Royal Shakespeare Company, and including Tony Hall, Director General of the BBC.

My bold text, sounds like a script for "Twenty Twelve"

Nice work if you can get it!

Norman

They are not included? Why not?

I thought they were in Britain?

They are but education is now devolved (which is why Wales and NI didn't adopt the last lot of exam changes). So if Wales and NI want to send kids their education departments would have to organise and pay for it themselves out of their own budget. There are comments one could make but would break the modern politics rule and result in 3 days FP 1 (Forum Punishment no1)

Remember that fabulous BBC TV comedy show Twenty Twelve; well if the Commemorations are anything to go by that show looks more like a documentary every day.

Nice work if you can get it!

Norman

And there`s more.

"Bonnie Greer, the playwright and author has joined the panel to, in the words of a source, enhance the theatrical and spectacular aspects of the plans."

In that case (Post 32) why did the UK, sorry, English Government make the announcement before the rest of the large chunks of the United Kingdom had decided on their proposals. This really has got all the ingredients for a massive foul-up "par excellence”. Are Wales and Northern Ireland going to get additional funding to participate in this grand scheme?

Phil - Bonnie Greer?, remember that as well as all these creative(?) people there will be all their support staff, cars and offices plus expenses, hotels, meetings, trips to France and Belgium to "liaise" with our European neighbours etc etc ad nauseum

Norman

And there`s more.

"Bonnie Greer, the playwright and author has joined the panel to, in the words of a source, enhance the theatrical and spectacular aspects of the plans."

Please tell this isn't true. The Great War reduced to theatre ( no pun intended).

In that case (Post 32) why did the UK, sorry, English Government make the announcement before the rest of the large chunks of the United Kingdom had decided on their proposals. T

Probably because in terms of population England makes up more than 90 percent. and constitutionally what Wales and NI choose to do or not in a devolved area is no business of England's and it would be most improper to wait until they had or had not decided. Similarly they already have their own budgets so no additional funding would be proper - that's what devolution is all about! Yes it is messy

Could everyone not just do a 2 minutes silence.

Brilliant idea, please forward this concept to the Chair of the WW1 100 committee, copy to Director of Concepts and Director of Legacy. Perhaps Danny Boyle will agree to update the 2 minutes silence which can be I think you will agree a little boring, by having as a central theme Earl Haig descending by apparently a parachute to the tune of Land of Hope & Glory whist the drums of the London Drum Cooperative beat a rhythm symbolic of gunfire, followed by a firework display and culminating with Katherine Jenkins rendition of Jerusalem accompanied by the massed bagpipes of the Mumbai Scottish Tribute Pipers.

Norman

PS To the Mods I promise to take this thread seriously from now on, honest!

Bonnie states:

She said commemorations should be more than just events to mark the anniversaries of the war’s major events.

I agree

Norman

2013: novelist Sebastian Faulks, member of the advisory committee on the centenary, advises that by 2018 the commemorations should show "a modest sense of achievement". (The "Times", 27 April).

Because there are no plans to do so and he is suggesting that we should? Or because it may not be politically responsible to over-do the victory as there are plans to do exactly that?

Could be read either way. Do we know which?

The fact is that whatever is planned is going to offend or upset some people because it will do too much of this or too little of that.

Agree with the point about Faulks or any novelist being involved though.

She is also quoted as saying:

“We know so much about the conflict in terms of the big set pieces. We need to know what it was like for people who thought the war would be over by Christmas and who found out it wasn’t, for those towns who lost all their young men.”

Who is the "WE" she refers to. I'd say plenty of people know what is was like: just bloody awful. But their could many who need reminding, and if the teaching of history made any sense, the modern generation would already know and understand.

She is supposed also to have said:

“My personnel connection has to be with the fact that my dad was from the Deep South and US African Americans came back from Europe and began the change that led to the Civil Rights movement.”

She is talking about WW2, which is all well and good, but exaclty what connection is this to the Great War?

. But their could many who need reminding, and if the teaching of history made any sense,.

Not to mention English as well

Chris Post 42, give her time she is just a little confused right now, after all it is very easy to get wars mixed up!.

Norman

Couldn`t BG be referring to coloured US servicemen returning from WW1? Her dad may have known many.

Here is a thought. Make the most of it; I do not have very many of them. If we fulminate about this subject here on the Forum, we are simply preaching to the choir. May I suggest that, in parallel, we keep an eye on the coverage in the national press and other discussion sites and put our two penn'orth in every time something idiotic or PC appears in print or in a comment column. I have already chipped in twice elsewhere in the past 24 hours - to what effect, I do not know, but at least I shall have been read by plenty of people who will never be on here. In a way this is only an extension of the policy of the Douglas Haig Fellowship; namely, to refute politely, but firmly, all inaccurate or biased drivel which appears concerning the late Field Marshal. Jack

What a great idea Jack - I for one will be doing this.

Anne

Not to mention English as well

Point taken, centurion . (there/their) My typos etc. are notorious. I blame it on my early school years when I was forced to write with my right hand when in fact I was naturally left handed. Thankfully my dear departed mother prevailed before too much damage was done and I was only left with the mild dyslexia which has dogged me all my life. I don't know why it should be, but it's always worse when I'm tired. Unfortunately, that's now the status quo for me.

Couldn`t BG be referring to coloured US servicemen returning from WW1? Her dad may have known many.

This may be true, but that's not what she is reported as saying.

P.S. I've already joined Jack's club.

Chris, if you`re referring to this:- "My personal connection has to be with the fact that my dad was from the Deep South and US African Americans came back from Europe and began the change that led to the Civil Rights movement" then it could be either war?