The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Martha Lloyd

dorrie

Whilst visiting Middletown Church Montgomeryshire (Powis). I noticed the name

Martha Lloyd on the memorial. Any ideas please

Thanks Dorrie

Dorrie

She was almost certainly a nurse. Although the name doesn't appear on the CWGC web site, or in 'Officers died in the Great War' there is a file for a Martha Lloyd at the National Archives [WO399/4948], as a member of Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service - or it could just be a coincidence.

Sue

Dorrie

As she doesn't seem to appear on CWGC [or at least I can't find her], I've no idea - if she is, in some way, a WW1 casualty, Jim Strawbridge would probably have information about her, but perhaps she died a good bit later. I'll have a look at her file when I'm at the PRO some time - it is very doubtful whether it will give a place of burial, but there would normally be an address for her or her next of kin which might provide a clue.

Sue

Dorrie,

Email Jim Strawbridge of the Forum who has a HUGE database and other info on the women of WW1. I sent him the listing and photos of Edinburgh St Giles Nurses Memorial and I know he has the one from York Minster.

Aye

Malcolm

Was the memorial a memorial to the dead, or to those who went to the war?

Since she doesn't appear in CWGC, she probably served, returned, married, and hopefully lived to a ripe old age.

Investigate the earlier census returns for the town, and later marriages.

The only Lloyd that I have on my database is Alys Lloyd who was an assistant in an auxiliary hospital. I suspect that the memorial is a remembrance of those that attended Middletown church and took a part in the Great War. As someone has pointed out she is likely to have returned safely and saw out her life in the normal way. If SueL is looking out the papers when she is next in the NA this hopefully will reveal all.

jim I have just sent you an e mail regarding martha Lloyd.

Thanks for information I need to revisit the churchyard to check out whether it was people who went to war or those that died. I think you are right about it being a memorial to those who went to war as there are 46 names on the memorial which is a very high number for the size of the village

Thanks

Dorrie

• 3 weeks later...

Dorrie

I had a look at Martha Lloyd's file today. It's certainly the right person. She was born on 27th June 1886, at what looks like Llandingham, Montgomeryshire, but a map tells me it could be Llandinam. She was educated at the South West Polytechnic, Chelsea, and trained as a nurse at Northampton General Hospital from July 1908 until July 1911.

She joined the Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Reserve on the 16th January 1916, giving her next of kin as her brother Thomas Lloyd, of 56 Erpingham Road, Putney. After being posted to Mesopotamia on November 27th 1917, she was admitted to hospital on the 22nd July 1918, suffering from what would appear to be a fairly severe mental illness, and she was quickly invalided home.

Obviously I won't go into details of her illness here, but she was found permanently unfit for service on December 10th of that year. It was stated that her illness was not caused by her military service [as it had occurred before], but may have been aggravated by it.

The next address that is given for her is that of her father - just given as 'Middletown, Welshpool' - it is clear from the notes that her mother had died some years before.

After her discharge she wrote for a reference, and a satisfactory one was given, just adding that during her last few months of service she had suffered ill health. She appears to have recovered well, as during November 1919 she wrote, stating that she realised it would be difficult to get a responsible post in hospital again, and she was considering training for another profession. This letter was sent from Middletown, so it seems that at that time she was still living at home with her father.

So the notes end there, and seems that if she did die young, then either she died after the cut off date for CWGC, or else her death was not attributable to her military service.

Regards - Sue

Sue Thankyou for the information most garteful to you for what appaers to be an inetersting story

DORRIE