Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Allied artillery at Gallipoli

RobL

Thanks rflory, Michael and Alan

Never stop learning that is for sure! The 69th Brigade RFA from 13 Div seem to be the main players for Hill 60 from Brit side and I will proceed and get the relevant diaries. So much info required!!! The Cunliffe Owen piece in the artillery journal sounds a must also. Where might one lay his hands on that? I have good help in UK to dig it out.

Cheers gents

Ian

In the History of the 52nd Lowland Div 1914-18 there is a ten page chapter: "Chapter IX: (29th June to 20th december 1915) The Glasgow Howitzers at ANZAC and SUVLA and Sir Charles' Monro's Report". By 3rd Sep the 1/5th Battery was reduced to one officer and 20 ORs which meant that the crews had to run between guns when responding to emergency calls for gunfire. It remained in this situation for four weeks. The 1/4th Battery was reduced to 2 Officers and 35 ORs. The normal strength of a single battery was five officers and 194 ORs. It also mentions that the daily ration of ammunition dropped to about two shells per gun. It quotes the diary of a Captain W Watson on the wear and tear of the guns and "Error in some cases 500 yards - a serious matter when the Turkish trenches are only 20 yards from our own" ...which might be relevant for Hill 60.

The 1/4th Lowland (Howitzer) Brigade RFA (TF) had its HQ at 8 Newton Terrace, Charing Cross, Glasgow. It consisted of:

1/4th City of Glasgow (H) Battery RFA (TF) based at Butterbiggins Rd Govanhill, Glasgow

1/ 5th City of Glasgow (H) Battery RFA (TF) based at Elder St, Govan, Glasgow

Ammunition Column based at Butterbiggins Rd Govanhill, Glasgow

The appear in the OOB of the OH Gallipoli.

According to the History of the 52nd Div:

Final sailing from Port Said: 17th June 1915

Arrival at Mudros: 20th June 1915

Landed on 21st and 24th June respectively (as reported in posts above)

MG

Thanks Martin

I will have to dive into the NZ&A Div records to see what other Brit artillery units participated at Hill 60 from 21 August. Infantry well sorted, Artillery and Medical research at present. Your stuff posted on 108th Indian Field Ambulance some time back will be most helpful. Most of these unit war diaries I have coming on disc shortly. No point rushing is there?

Cheers

Ian

Martin

On the 4th September the 1/4th Lowland Brigade, 4th City of Glasgow War Diary gives the effective strength of 5th City of Glasgow Battery & Ammunition Column combined as 1 Officer and 71 men. Effective strength of Headquarters Staff 2 Officers, 17 men and 4th City of Glasgow Battery 2 Officers and 63 men.

'Reduction in Effective Strength is mainly due to sickness caused by diarrhoea and weakness resulting therefrom. The cause of all the diarrhoea is not yet understood in this unit'

A number of replacement officers arrived 9th/10th September and were attached to Batteries by 15th.

By the 30th September the effective strength of the combined 5th Battery and Ammunition Column is 21 NCO's and men. 2 guns had been put out of action on account of 'scarcity of men to work them'. For the same day the 4th Battery have 54 NCO's and men and HQS has 15 NCO's and men.

Kind regards

Alan

Martin

On the 4th September the 1/4th Lowland Brigade, 4th City of Glasgow War Diary gives the effective strength of 5th City of Glasgow Battery & Ammunition Column combined as 1 Officer and 71 men. Effective strength of Headquarters Staff 2 Officers, 17 men and 4th City of Glasgow Battery 2 Officers and 63 men.

'Reduction in Effective Strength is mainly due to sickness caused by diarrhoea and weakness resulting therefrom. The cause of all the diarrhoea is not yet understood in this unit'

A number of replacement officers arrived 9th/10th September and were attached to Batteries by 15th.

By the 30th September the effective strength of the combined 5th Battery and Ammunition Column is 21 NCO's and men. 2 guns had been put out of action on account of 'scarcity of men to work them'. For the same day the 4th Battery have 54 NCO's and men and HQS has 15 NCO's and men.

Kind regards

Alan

Thanks Alan....another example of differences between published accounts and the War Diaries. MG

It looks as though the 69th Brigade RFA were suffering too. From War Diary:

'August 31

Owing to number of casualties since middle of June, Batteries and HQ's Staff are very short handed & the labour caused by man-handling vehicles & running new telephone lines in every change of position has been found very great.'

No numbers are given but at the end of the previous month the CO comments that diarrhoea is affecting both officers and men.

Kind regards

Alan

• 7 years later...

Video footage of two French artillery pieces, uploaded today and mentioned by the WFA. There is mention of them being 155mm, but this does not correspond with the abandoned artillery being a pair of canon de 140 (an actual calibre of 138mm) modèle 1884, and four 240mm canon de modèle 1876. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC92FZDSrxQ

On 28/04/2021 at 04:29, Keith_history_buff said:

There is mention of them being 155mm, but this does not correspond with the abandoned artillery being a pair of canon de 140 (an actual calibre of 138mm) modèle 1884, and four 240mm canon de modèle 1876. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC92FZDSrxQ

For what it's worth, I agree with Keith, and personally think that the four guns are the 24cm ones referred to here 

image.png.a7cc10ec283a2fde75aba21cb5dfbe58.png

see also https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Captured_24_cm_artillery.jpg

and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_de_24_C_modèle_1876

edit to add: Note also that even when 155s are mentioned in the French telegramme, there are only two (one long and one short) NOT four

This Note is seen beneath the video [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC92FZDSrxQ]
6.34K subscribers
The Canon de 155 C modèle 1917 Schneider, often abbreviated as the C17S, was a French howitzer designed by Schneider.

A reminder that the allies withdrew from Gallipoli in January 1916 (not 1917)

Edited by michaeldr

Interesting to see that "1884" on the carriage.

If you were to talk about the Battle of Britain, there is a widespread belief that all the combat was done with Spitfires.

It's all too easy to think of WW1 French artillery as either 75mm or 155mm. That said, the British deployed 15 pounders at Gallipoli. I am not knowledgeable on artillery, and when I saw this I thought "That must be a typo, surely it's either a 13 or 18 pounder."

Hi Keith

The 15 pounders were East Lancashire Brigade RFA. There were no 13 pounders, the 15th Brigade RHA having been re-equipped with 18 pounders whilst in England. I hope that helps.

Kind regards

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

You may be interested in this book released in April this year. It covers the Indian, Australian, New Zealand and British artillery units at Anzac, and the support provided by the Royal Navy.

R

136005688_BSPTheArtilleryatAnzaccover.jpg.a71dd46b29521af626677eb5db0621a1.jpg

Thanks Chris,

Congratulations to you and Paul Stevens with the launch of the book, I eagerly look forward to reading the book once I return home at the end of May. From a review of it on Google, it would appear to be a very comprehensive account of the Artillery operations at Gallipoli, and a must for students of the Gallipoli campaign.

Jeff

My thanks also Chris, it was however already on my birthday request list; looking forward to reading it.

Kind regards

Alan