Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kingdon, Arthur: Dorsetshire Regiment #14190, Private & Hampshire

Black Sapper

Hi guys,

'Slap me silly & call me Betty' but I can't quite get my head around this guys service during WW1 - perhaps one of you will alert me to something I'm missing? He's actually distantly related to my wife's family tree but there are no family recollections of his war service. (Agricultural Labourers moving about North Devon on a regular basis tended to confuse who was who).

Here's some of my notes which I'd be happy to receive comments on & of course, any corrections?

Notes: This soldier also served in the Asiatic Theatre from 11.12.1915, indicating service in East Africa, Nyasaland & Northern Rhodesia? Initially there was insufficient information to identify this person, however, following further research of the Spring 1919 Absent voters list for Devon there is a ‘Reference 213’ for Arthur Kingdon of Middlewick (Middle Week) in the Parish of Bishops Nympton, South Molton, Devon; He was recorded as serving as #G/25324 with the 1st (G.B.) Royal Irish Fusiliers; The record & the prefix ‘G’ to his regimental number would indicate service with the 1st Garrison Battalion, & his number indicates service with the Royal Irish Fusiliers after September 1915 & probably in Dublin, (this unit was deployed to India in February 1916 & then deployed to Burma in May 1917); This soldier’s Dorsetshire Regimental number #14190 would indicate enlistment in one of the new service battalions after August 1914 & I would suggest that perhaps he served with the 11th (Service) Battalion (Pioneers) when they became the Pioneers to the 16th (Irish) Division in Dublin between September & December 1914; I have no idea of when he might have served with the Hampshire Regiment? Based on the Absent Voters records, this is probably Arthur Kingdon born 14.01.1889 in East Anstey, Devon; (1891 - West Anstey, Devon; 1901 - Middle Week Cottages, Bishops Nympton, Devon; 1911 - Middle Week, Bishops Nympton & presumably still there in 1919);

Any observations would be most welcome.

regards

Black Sapper

roeschlinp@gmail.com

post-86183-0-33968100-1370614602_thumb.j

No 11th dorsets, could be 2nd Btn who were in Mesopotamia?

Justin H

There was a draft of 400 men from the 3rd Btn who LEFT Devonport on 11December 1915 who ultimately formed part of the Composite English Battalion or the "Norsets", and whilst the theatre is correct, you would expect the date of entry to be after January 4th they disembarked at Kuwait

Any one have any ideas?

It does look as if there's a corrected error on the card and the 14/15 star wasn't earned with the Dorsets?

Justin H

It does look as if there's a corrected error on the card and the 14/15 star wasn't earned with the Dorsets?

The deleted entry is on the 14/15 Star Roll of the Hampshires which confirms 2/Dorsets and discharge to Class Z Army Reserve 08/12/1919. The entry was deleted from the Roll as there was a duplicate entry on the Royal Irish Fusliers Roll B/3C page 80 from which the Star was issued.

The Hampshire Regt BW&VM Roll entry for Arthur Kingdon confirms 14190 2/Dorsets.

Regimental No. 06739 is a very late entry on the Hampshire Regt roll circa early July 1919 so Arthur was only in the 'Tigers' a matter of 5 months or so prior to his discharge.

Marc

Interesting. The regimental history confirms there was a draft of 6 officers and 350 men that left the 2 Dorsets in March 1919 to join the 8th Hants

Justin H

Some interesting information & I'm grateful for all your comments & ideas - thanx, much appreciated.With so many of my 'one name Kingdon & Kingdom' research files open I think that I'll tentatively go with the following and perhaps leave this one on a back burner. (Unless anyone can come up with fair argument)?

Kingdon, Arthur:Dorsetshire Regiment No: 14190 Rank: Private, & Hampshire Regiment No: 06739 Rank: Private, & Royal Irish Fusiliers No: 25324 Rank: Private, 1914-1920, WO 372/11, WW1;

Notes: This soldier also served in the Asiatic Theatre (5a) from 11.12.1915, indicating service in East Africa, Nyasaland & Northern Rhodesia; Initially there was insufficient information to identify this person, however, following further research of the Spring 1919 Absent voters list for Devon there is a ‘Reference 213’ for Arthur Kingdon of Middlewick (Middle Week) in the Parish of Bishops Nympton, South Molton, Devon; He was recorded as serving as #G/25324 with the 1st (G.B.) Royal Irish Fusiliers; The record & the prefix ‘G’ to his regimental number would indicate service with the 1st Garrison Battalion, & his number indicates service with the Royal Irish Fusiliers after September 1915 & probably in Dublin, (this unit was deployed to India in February 1916 & then deployed to Burma in May 1917); This soldier’s Dorsetshire Regimental number #14190 would indicate enlistment in one of the new service battalions after August 1914 & I would suggest that perhaps he served with the 11th (Service) Battalion (Pioneers) when they became the Pioneers to the 16th (Irish) Division in Dublin between September & December 1914; Following some very useful assistance from ‘Old Sweats’ on the Great War Forum, perhaps there is credibilty in noting the corrected error on his medals card, indicating that the 1914/15 Star wasn’t earned with the Dorsets? The deleted entry is on the 1914/15 Star Roll of the Hampshires, which confirms 2nd Battalion Dorsets & discharge to Class ‘Z’ Army Reserve on 08.12.1919; The entry appears to have been deleted from the Roll as there was a duplicate entry on the Royal Irish Fusliers Roll B/3C page 80 from which the Star was issued; The Hampshire Regiment BW&VM Roll entry for Arthur Kingdon confirms #14190, 2/Dorsets;Regimental No. 06739 is a very late entry on the Hampshire Regiment roll circa early July 1919 so Arthur Kingdon was only in the 'Tigers' a matter of 5 months or so prior to his discharge; Interestingly, the Hants regimental history confirms there was a draft of 6 officers and 350 men that left the 2nd Dorsets in March 1919 to join the 8th Hants; Based on the Absent Voters records, this is probably Arthur Kingdon born 14.01.1889 in East Anstey, Devon, the son of Thomas Kingdon, an Agricultural Labourer, b.1853 Bishops Nympton, Devon & Elizabeth Baker of Twitchen, Devon, who Married on 11.06.1878 in Bishops Nympton, Devon; In the 1891 Census young Arthur Kingdon, aged 2, was with his parents living Kingscombe Cottage, West Anstey, Devon; In the 1901 Census Arthur Kingdon aged 12 lived with his parents in Middle Week Cottages, Bishops Nympton; In the 1911 Census Arthur Kingdon is aged 22, a Farm Labourer & Rabbit Trapper, & is living with his parents in Middle Week, Bishops Nympton, Devon; I believe that Arthur Kingdon Married Beatrice Sanders from Dolton, Devon in 1922 in South Molton, Devon, (however, she was named Hilda Eliza B. Sanders on her birth records on 11.12.1901 in Dolton, Devon); I also understand that Arthur Kingdon’s death was registered in Exeter in 1986 Aged 97, his wife died in 1993 Aged 91; Medals Card on file for award of the 15 Star (Dorsetshire/Royal Irish Fusiliers), The Victory & British War Medals for service with the other regiments; (Brother of Kingdon, William Thomas; Lance Corporal #3785, Devonshire Regiment);

Black Sapper