Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Daniel Browne 26th Divisional Ammunition Column, RFA number 76131

kathrynbryant1

Hello, I and the family have been searching for sometime for our grand uncle Daniel Browne, We know he was born in Ireland but had been told he had been killed by the Black and Tans in or around 1920/21/22. It has now been found that he was in fact with the Royal Field Artillery and died from Dysentery on 25 November 1916. It is said though that he actually died at sea. He is buried in Greece. Can anyone please elaborate on this information, ie where and when he might have joined, if there are any photos of this regiment etc. I have posted a message on Ancestry for Greece asking if anyone could visit the Cemetery, Salonika (Lembet Road) Military Cemetery Thessaloniki Regional unit of Thessaloniki Central Macedonia, Greece Plot: 701 where he was laid to rest, and if possible to take a photo. Our family would dearly love any updates on the above if possible as we have finally managed to find him. Any assistance would be much appreciated. Kind regards, Kathryn

Thank you for replying to my post, it is much appreciated. You say he is showing in the 'Soldiers Died' book as enlisting in Cork. Is this something that I can access please? Kind regards, Kathryn

the online version of the actual book has

Daniel Browne

Residence: Macroon, Ireland

Death Date: 25 Nov 1916

Death Location: At Sea

Enlistment Location: Cork, Ireland

Regiment: Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery

Number: 76131

Type of Casualty: Died

Theatre of War: At Sea