Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Battle of Jutland - 31st May 1916

Seadog

There is a Long Service and Good Conduct (LSGC) medal but I've not come across GSOM.

There is a General Service Medal, but that's not a Naval decoration.

The Star and Garter Hospital info can be found here http://www.starandgarter.org/the-charity/history.html

and Google found this http://ezitis.myzen.co.uk/southafrican.html so there well be much more info for you to find!

I note that it refers to "severely" wounded, which is borne out by his early death.

HMS Triumph had a crew of about 800 of whom 3 officers and 75 men died in her sinking.

Maybe more learned naval Pals can answer better than me on the crew list aspect.

• 4 weeks later...

I've found reading this thread so interesting as I have been researching my g g uncle Joseph Baker who died aboard the Queen Mary during the battle of Jutland. He was Chief Stoker.

Mary

Thanks Bart, thats good of you! I don't have any knowledge really of his service records. I'm quite new to all this so learning as I go along. Therefore any help will be appreciated! I have found him in the 1911 census where his location was "China and East Indies" as a Stoker. Mary

Hello Mary,

A bit of info on your gg uncle Joseph (just in case you have not already found this).

Service No. 286450.

DOB. 13 Oct 1878 in Brasted, Kent.

Husband of Mary L Baker, Manchester Rd, Fratton, Portsmouth.

DOD. 31 May 1916.

You can download his Royal Navy Service papers (2 pages) from the National Archive website for about £3.50

All the best. Joe.