Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Eliza Grant Barnbow, Yorkshire

Elle

At a dedication service at Allerton Bywater St Marys The Less Churchyard on Thursday 30 April at 1430,a memorial to Aliza Grant and Edith Selina Levitt was blessed byThe Revd Canon Rosemarie Hayes,vicar of the church.The service was attended by about two dozen members and descendants of the Grant and Hammond families.

The original intention was that a gravestone would be placed on on Eliza's grave but since the site of Eliza's grave could not ascertained,it was decided to dedicate a memorial to Eliza and also Edith Selina Levitt who was also killed that night at Barnbow....both were residents of the parish of Allerton Bywater.It would appear that Eliza was interred in the Grant family grave which it would appear to have been lost.The background to the loss of the burial records covering this period is that they were loaned to a local undertaker who it is reported has lost or misplaced them.

All together a memorable day, meeting distance relatives and for exchanging information on the explosion over a cup of coffee afterwards.

Special thanks to The Revd Canon Rosemarie Hayes of St Marys The Less Church and her lady churchwarden,for their warm welcome and beautiful service.Thanks to Michael (Eliza's Great Grandson) and Graham (Eliza's Grandson) and others of the Grant family who made this day of remembrance possible.

A little background to Edith Selina Levitt whose family originated from West Haddlesley,south of Selby. It is believed that she is buried with her father who died in June 1916.In1917,her brother lost his life in France and is remembered in Arras and on the Allerton Bywater War Memorial.

Attempts to upload photographs failed......files too large signaled.

The grave of Eliza is not lost - just unmarked. Similarly with that of Edith Levitt. I have a photograph of both grave spots although without an exhumation one can never be certain. The spots were ascertained from the parish burial records.

Jim,

If that is the case the same burial records should show the Grant family grave with Eliza Grant, Lucy Ann Grant (Clayton Dixon Grant's first wife) and Edith CDG's younger sister interred together.From what I have been informed there may be others of the Grant family interred there as well.

As said it is believed that Edith Selina Levitt is buried with her father,William Levitt who died in June 1916.It might be that this could be confIrmed through the burial records,you reference, if it was correct.

Your project

I did intend to get in touch with regarding the Misterton,Blyton and Billinghay research.The Misterton one should have been easily resolved and since my inquiries, I notice that the War Memorial has been renovated....I have a contact there which from what I have ascertained you have already been in touch with so I was surprised that it was still your list....I will resume contact.The Blyton one is a real merry go round...quoted a £19 fee for access to the parish burial records and then it transpired that the records had already been transferred to Lincolnshire Archives,St Rumbold Street,Lincoln,LN2 5AB.........I have the appropriate forms to enquire into records but I believe that it would be best to contact them for advice.

I would say that it is the same for Billinghay....I did notice that you had another volunteer chasing this up but with no success.I have the sketch you sent me in relation to Billinghay St Michael Church Cemetery which is in safe custody but looking at the sketch,I think the best information will be available from the parish records at Lincolnshire Archives.

Regards

Frank E

Frank, People often have good intentions, take the information of my photograph requirement and then I hear nothing more.

MIsterton is still on the list. I need a photograph of the grave of Catherine Hannah Jollands, nurse, who died 8th July 1915 and is buried in Haxey Road Cemetery, Misterton (plot J. 9). Also a photograph of the memorial with her name on it in the Primitive Methodist Church, Misterton. I have family photographs and also a very old photograph of her grave as well as the war memorial.

Blyton is also on my list. There is a memorial scroll in the local church that includes the name of Dorothy Lucy Howell, nurse, who died in 1918. I have already ascertained that her name is not on the local war memorial. Whether she is buried in the local cemetery is unknown.

Billinghay still outstanding, too. Nellie Willson, QAIMNS, who died 16th October 1918, is buried there. Her grave is believed not to be marked but we know where she was buried. It was in the south of the cemetery seven feet from the school fence and ten feet from a stagnant ditch. There are also two rolls within St. Michael's Church, Billinghay with her name on them that I need. I have a photograph of her name on the Billinghay War Memorial and of the special memorial with her name on it in Coningsby Cemetery.

As to the Grant family graves the photographer that I used managed to find the grave plot without, seemingly, a problem. If he is right it is a shame that the new grave-stone is not marking it. But it is a big IF.

Jim, Thanks for your note,

Misterton should not be a problem.As I have said,it's just a question of identifying the grave.....here in this cemetery,the convention for burials is chapel left,church right .At the beginning of this case,I had a good chat with the lady who looks after the well being of the cemetery and has access to the records.We were looking for the grave at the time but she did not have the burial register to hand.I think the lady is involved in the Methodist chapel which should provide access to the memorial. In the meanwhile,the village war memorial has been renovated although it is fair to say that the memorial was already in a decent condition.

Blyton.The Lincolnshire Archives might be able to trace Dorothy Lucy Howell in relation if she is interred at St Martin's.Blyton....having been to Blyton a number of times I have never been able to contact anyone with local knowledge apart eventually contact with the vicar (5 parishes under his wing) by e mail with the notification of the fee involved for access to burial records...then the revelation that the records had been transferred to Lincoln.Incidentally D L Howells is remembered on the Blyton War Memorial.Her name is inscribed on the back of the memorial....a tree overhangs it and possibly hides the two or three names at the rear of the memorial.

Billinghay.When I was following this up,I think I am right at the time, the living was vacant.I did spend some time with a young ex soldier who I think was a churchwarden but could not help me....there was a number of individuals remembered on a large plaque but cannot recollect seeing a reference to Nellie Willson.I must have missed the rolls but the young man did not mention them. Your description of the location of the grave is much better than the information on the graph paper.Again Lincolnshire Archives might be the answer.

Regarding Allerton Bywater.I had a chat with a member of the Grant family on 30 April memorial dedication and subsequently on the subject of Eliza's grave location together with the confusion which surrounds it.Do you have a photograph of the grave location showing a camera case?,if you have this,it is regarded as not being accurate.The accurate burial records were last seen by the family in 2004....a very old document on vellum parchment paper which it is reported to have been eventually lost after being loaned out to a local undertaker.Since then the church have been trying to build up the burial records,(said to be on graph paper). However regarding Eliza's grave,they started off looking at locations which were allocated for burials during the period 1915-1917 not being aware of the Grant family grave plot which was first used in 1894 with the burial of CDG's sister Edith Ann Grant was away from the 1915-1917 grave allocated area.(It would appear that there are 7 interred in the family grave with CDG's mother,Grace and her granddaughter,Eliza's daughter,Hetty/Etty dying on the same day in October 1918...suspected to be from the flu outbreak.)

The grave location is said to be roughly known by the Grant family but they were reluctant to erect a tombstone as there was a lack of grave markers nearby in order to give an accurate plot location.Hence the memorial is in its dedicated location near the wall which is well away from the location where it is roughly known to be.

I cannot see this being resolved until the original vellum parchment burial record is recovered.

Regards

Frank

Blyton - someone looked on the war memorial for me and said that she wasn't there. No-one looked on the back so this is a new requirement. Unfortunately I cannot help with finding her in any local cemetery but a good chance that she is there.

Allerton Bywater - Yes, the photograph that I have shows a camera case on the grave. I am disappointed to think that this is not accurate. The photographer is well known to me and is not one to make locations up. He must have got the information from somewhere. I might contact him.

• 4 months later...
Guest ron grant

Hello I am Ronald clifford grant my grandmother died in the barnbow explosion my father was James dixon grant born March 1913, the youngest son of dixon grant and Elizabeth grant of William St lock lane Castleford, arrcordin to he's marriage certificate,I knew my anty ada form Leeds use to visit her when I was young, and was named after my uncle clifford, remember seeing my and uncle cliff having a drink in a club in Normanton, I used to see my anty lizzy from Castleford who worked on the buses, she was my dad's sister or half sister, I never met anyone else of my dad's family knew about Harold, eveliyn, and he's dad working in a chippy in lock lane Castleford,my dad was known has dickie to he's family in Castleford, but noticed he's not mentioned in the forum of Eliza grant and Clayton dixon grant. lam trying to find anymore information on my familys history if anyone can help, thanks Ron

Elsewhere on this Forum we have had correspondance from the great grand-daughter of Ada (Eliza's daughter). Also, Steve whose grand-father was George William Grant (son of Eliza). Welcome to the Forum, Ron.

Jim

As regards the Grant family,the best sources of information appears to come from Michael (Eliza's Great Grandson) and Graham (Grandson) who were able to conclude that Eliza's grave was "lost" sometime before the intention to erect a memorial to her and Edith S Levitt.They knew the approximate area behind the church where Eliza was buried but did not wish to place a memorial stone on the wrong grave location.From the memorial dedication service,I have maintained contact with Michael who lives in Scotland.

As I have said the burial plan detailed on vellum parchment was said to be missing after being loaned to a local undertaker.This brings me to the point,did your contact take the your photograph of the grave with reference to the vellum parchment burial record?

Changing tack and to Dorothy Howells,the other day,being a beautiful day we visited Blyton and took another set of photographs of the Blyton War Memorial where Dorothy Howells is remembered along with her brother.Her name as I have previously said is at the back of the memorial,the east side,while her brother is remembered on the north side.

I will send you this set of photographs to you along with the set of photographs taken at the dedication on 30 April 2015 of Eliza Grant and Edith Levitt's memorial at Allerton Bywater.

Jim, let me know of your e mail address and I will send them on.

Regarding the Misterton task,I will have a further attempt to resolve it.

Ron,Welcome to the forum.

I can see where you fit into the Grant family but your father being born after the 1911 Census is not shown in the census family group.Your Uncle Clifford was born in 1905 and your Grandmother Eliza also had a son,Alfred,born in 1911 which would be just before the 1911 Census.

I take it you mean Eliza and not Elizabeth being your grandmother.As you wish to know more of your family,I can get in touch with Michael (Eliza's Great Grandson) who has a very good understanding of the Grant family tree.My Grandmother, Rosetta was a Hammond,the youngest of the family and a sister of Eliza, one of three girls in the family.My knowledge of the Grants is certainly exceeded by my knowledge of the Hammond family roots.

Gentlemen my name is Roger Thompson from Batley West Yorkshire and it was I that took the photograph of the burial site, it was unbeknown to me that the burial map I saw was a copy of the original, so if there as been a mistake done no offence was intended or done.

I could only work on the information that was in front of me.

The burial map was in the big wooden chest just inside the church and one of the volunteers who where in the church that day got it out and showed it to me, until that time I was not aware of it.

I did on behalf of Jim Strawbridge and his project.

Your respectfully.

Roger Thompson.

Roger,

There is no problem with you taking the photograph and there has been no criticism of your involvement.You as others here on the forum volunteer your time in order to advance Jim's project backed by the information available to you at the time.

The location of the grave came to be discussed on the day of the memorial dedication when it was pointed out to me that the grave photograph showing a camera case was not the accurate location.It had already been decided to place the memorial remote from the area of the Eliza's grave (a Grant family grave,ie a multi burial grave.) in order not to place the memorial in the wrong location.

As said before,the original vellum parchment burial record has been reported as missing while in the custody of a local undertaker.Apparently it was last seen in 2004 by family researchers.Meanwhile,the Church is attempting to compile a new burial record which must be a formidable task.I was told this new document is on graph paper.

I cannot see the accurate location of the Grant family grave being ascertained until the vellum parchment burial record is found.

Kind Regards

Frank

Dear Frank,

Thank you for your reply, basically I did not take offence at it I just thought I would put an explanation on this thread.

Yes indeed the mapping is on graph paper I suppose I should have guessed that something was slightly amiss.

I take my hat off to all those that are working on that project at the church and I don't envy them the task.

I think it is great project that Jim Strawbridge is doing.

A friend of mine had a great aunt also killed at Barnbow and is buried at Sharlston, found that one and took him to it.

Best Regards,

Roger.

Thank you for your comments on my project and to Roger, who has been of immense help with it. The only question that I cannot work out is why the "graph paper" map is considered inaccurate. Someone drew it up with knowledge. There may be a couple of inaccuracies in it but why should it not be a pretty good copy of the parchment one?

Jim,

Sorry for the late response....the reason why Eliza's grave was said to be where Roger photographed it, is, as put to me,due to the new burial record being complied on the basis that she was interred in the 1914-1917 graves location.

Thanks for that Frank, sorry it's a late reply as I have been very poorly for the last week and half.

Cheers Roger.

• 2 years later...
On 19/10/2015 at 14:36, Roger Thompson said:

Dear Frank,

Thank you for your reply, basically I did not take offence at it I just thought I would put an explanation on this thread.

Yes indeed the mapping is on graph paper I suppose I should have guessed that something was slightly amiss.

I take my hat off to all those that are working on that project at the church and I don't envy them the task.

I think it is great project that Jim Strawbridge is doing.

A friend of mine had a great aunt also killed at Barnbow and is buried at Sharlston, found that one and took him to it.

Best Regards,

Roger.

Hi

Elsie Bruce is the woman killed at Barnbow who is on Sharlston (near Wakefield) War Memorial. I'm currently researching the overlooked Barnbow Munitions workers. Seems some of the information is still "classified".  Hmm. Thanks for posting.  

Simon, I have researched Barnbow and so far as I know there is nothing still "classified". To what are you referring as I may be able to point you in the right direction ?

Hi Jim Strawbridge.

Barnbow Munitions worker called Eliza Ellis helped rescue injured at Barnbow in Dec 1916. Quite well documented and featured in Leeds Museums exhibitions in last couple of years. The family still have a nice clock with inscription from her colleagues. I'm lead to believe that "classified" is what comes back when inquiries have been made about what Eliza did.  Now it could be that the right questions are not being asked (to the right organisation/department). Also I'm told that the Imperial War Museum have recently released some information - appreciate that these might be documents that might have been technically open but not available. I've only recently started looking at this Barnbow issue and note that you have been looking a while now. Appreciate your input. Important research you are doing.

Regarding Elsie Bruce who died in March 1917 and is named on Sharlston War Memorial (near Wakefield) - I have not seen what happened at Barnbow that day and I have searched. I did see a ref to Florence Hodgkins of Normanton also dying that day; I've also seen it written that she died of TNT poisoning. I'm wondering where the TNT ref may have come in? I know the cause of death for Elsie Bruce was not TNT poisoning. Would have thought two girls in one day would have died as a result of the same incident?

Thanks. 

On 25/09/2018 at 22:33, simondigs said:

Florence Hodgkins did not die of TNT poisoning. She, too, lost her life in Barnbow (the second, smaller explosion).

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

Jim. I think Simon's reference to the Barnbow explosion was classified stems from the restriction imposed on the bereaved families that should not make public any information on the incident......Eliza Grant's death location is recorded on her D.C as occurring at a Shell Factory....no mention of Barnbow.

Frank, I am not sure what you are getting at. Are you suggesting that she did not die in an explosion or that she did not die at Barnbow ? I think it more likely that the newspapers of the day were very much restricted in what they reported. It was bad for morale for there to be bad news at home. The families and friends, when an accident like this happened, knew what had happened but that information would have stayed local if newspapers weren't reporting it. (No Facebook or Twitter, or even TV, in those days to circumvent the Press)

Jim 

You have misunderstood my post.What I said was that the public knowledge of the incident was restricted in that the bereaved families were told not to make public any information on the incident.As related by my grandmother,Eliza Grant's youngest sister.

Any information published by local newspapers would have been subject to censorship but even so in the neighbourhood such news as this would have been quickly circulated....locally it would be known where people were employed.The non mentioning of the Shell Factory by the Coroner on the DCs would align with this censorship. 

Cause of death as detailed by the Coroner of a Death in the sub district of West Leeds...."Shock due to injuries to vital organs caused accidentally by an explosion at a Shell Factory"

23 hours ago, Frank_East said:

Jim 

You have misunderstood my post.What I said was that the public knowledge of the incident was restricted in that the bereaved families were told not to make public any information on the incident.As related by my grandmother,Eliza Grant's youngest sister.

Any information published by local newspapers would have been subject to censorship but even so in the neighbourhood such news as this would have been quickly circulated....locally it would be known where people were employed.The non mentioning of the Shell Factory by the Coroner on the DCs would align with this censorship. 

Cause of death as detailed by the Coroner of a Death in the sub district of West Leeds...."Shock due to injuries to vital organs caused accidentally by an explosion at a Shell Factory"

Frank, I did not misunderstand. I hear what you say about the bereaved families being told to "keep Mum". I was adding to what you said by relating that the Press, too, were asked to restrict reportage. Irrespective of the general wording on the death certificate Eliza Grant died in Leeds Infirmary following an explosion in the Barnbow factory on the 5th December 1916. Edith Levitt died from the same explosion.