Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Eliza Grant Barnbow, Yorkshire

Elle

Hi

I was wondering if anyone had any information or pictures of Eliza Grant she was killed in the explosion at Barnbow in 1916 - she was my great great grandma. I know a little about what happened to her but would love to know more.

I know that she was killed as she was walking in the door of the factory as it exploded. It was her day off work that night and a friend persuaded her to go in and she agreed as long as she got all her housework done before the last bus which unfortunately for her (and her family) she did. I know the families were told they had to bury all the women lost in that tragedy in separate services on different days as they wanted no link made to the tragedy to reach our boys on the front line for morale purposes. Also, that details about it weren't released publicly for I think 90 years under the government regulations or something.

Her husband was Clayton D Grant and children were Ada, George, Lily and Evelyn (although I believe not all were biologically hers as I think it was mentioned from the family that Clayton had been married before). She was born circa 1864 (not sure on exact date). My great grandma was Ada and my part of the family moved away from Yorkshire many years ago so I have yet been unable to visit the memorials to her in York Minster and in Leeds.

I googled it but couldn't really find anything in particular related to Eliza but stumbled across an image posted a couple of years back of a roll of honour with her name on it which is what led me to this site and would love if anyone had any pictures of her as I believe I have only seen one of her in existence withing my immediate family. I am pretty sure some people in my family have researched the family tree but as I live on the opposite side of the country I have never met the vast majority of my family on this side.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and look forward to any info or pics people may have

Ellen

Thank you I did have a browse through a few threads when I joined I tried to message the person who posted on that thread saying that Eliza was their great great aunt but unfortunately it flagged up as the user not able to use messaging. I have always known about her and how she died since I was a child and only recently been shown a picture of her after my great aunt passed away earlier this year which has fueled my intrigue.

Thank you had a look through is this picture (from that site) of an explosion it says there was 3 explosions but the one my great great grandma was involved in was the most severe and has this picture is this of what was the factory my great great grandma was entering does anyone know?

shell4.jpg

Eliza, because you are a new member you are limited in what you can do on the forum. However, if you make one more post (by replying to this post) you will have made 5 posts and the pm facility will then be available for you to message people.

Thanks but my name isn't Eliza my great great grandma was called Eliza she was killed in Barnbow in December 1916 and I'm trying to locate information or pictures in relation to her.

Ellen

I think by far your best chance is to pursue other family members. Munition workers, as individuals, are completely under-researched, and their contribution during wartime often passed over. As working-class women (in the main), it's unlikely that there will be photos held anywhere other than in family photo albums. After the war, the Imperial War Museum did ask families to send in photos of munition workers who died during the war and those photos are now held within their Women's Work Collection in London. I think the problem was that many of the families didn't even have photos of their relatives as adults, and the archive of photos is small, but it might be worth checking if you can get into the IWM at any time - the collection is available at any time the IWM is open via their in-house online services, although the whole place is closed for the next few months. Other than that, I think you need to research Barnbow in general, including newspaper reports, as you never know what might turn up. Also try and get in touch with the 'other side' of the family as they're probably your best bet.

Sue

I know the families were told they had to bury all the women lost in that tragedy in separate services on different days as they wanted no link made to the tragedy to reach our boys on the front line for morale purposes.

Ellen

am not sure that seperate burials on seperate days is correct. Your Eliza was buried in the same grave on the same day as Edith Levitt who also died in the same explosion.

I believe that Eliza was born in 1876 in Leeds making her aged 40 when she died.

Her death certificate gives her cause of death as "shock due to injuries to vital organs caused accidently by an explosion at a Shell factory".

I am preparing a Register of WW1 serving female casualties for eventual publication. This will contain short biographies of these women together with photographs of them, their graves and their memorials. I have a photograph of Eliza's unmarked grave at Allerton Bywater and her name on the York Minster panels and on the Barnbow Memorial. But I should be hugely grateful if you are able to provide a copy of your ancestor's photograph for inclusion in the book.

Hi Jim

Thank you for the information I have spoken to my Nana (Eliza's Grandaughter) and we didn't know if she was buried in the family grave there or in a separate grave. I know a couple of my relatives (one of whom is her grandson) have been searching for her grave and knew it was at Allerton Bywater but didn't know whereabouts so any information you have to the whereabouts in graveyard itself would be greatly appreciated. I should be able to get a copy of the photo for you it is of Eliza when she was 18 with her younger sister my Nana is going to hunt it out as its in one of the drawers along with a newspaper article she had from I think 1996 about it. Would it be possible to get a picture of her grave to show my Nana as she no longer lives in Yorkshire and is unable to get back up there to go visit it herself but would love to see it. If you need any information on Eliza clarifying I will try my best to help, my Nana said that her mum (Eliza's daughter) said that Eliza was 42 when she died.

Ellen

Thanks but my name isn't Eliza my great great grandma was called Eliza she was killed in Barnbow in December 1916 and I'm trying to locate information or pictures in relation to her.

Wow, OK, forgive me for getting your name wrong, it was early in the morning (for me) and between Elle, Ellen and Elza in your post I got the wrong name. It still doesn't get away from the fact that now you've posted the requisite number of posts you will now be abe to message whoever you want. You were asking for help, I was trying to help you.

Hi Jim

Thank you for the information I have spoken to my Nana (Eliza's Grandaughter) and we didn't know if she was buried in the family grave there or in a separate grave. I know a couple of my relatives (one of whom is her grandson) have been searching for her grave and knew it was at Allerton Bywater but didn't know whereabouts so any information you have to the whereabouts in graveyard itself would be greatly appreciated. I should be able to get a copy of the photo for you it is of Eliza when she was 18 with her younger sister my Nana is going to hunt it out as its in one of the drawers along with a newspaper article she had from I think 1996 about it. Would it be possible to get a picture of her grave to show my Nana as she no longer lives in Yorkshire and is unable to get back up there to go visit it herself but would love to see it. If you need any information on Eliza clarifying I will try my best to help, my Nana said that her mum (Eliza's daughter) said that Eliza was 42 when she died.

Ellen

Ellen, The photograph of her grave was provided to me by a member of this Forum who kindly went off and photographed it for me. It will be his copyright but providing that you don't intend it to be put into printed matter then I am sure that I can provide a copy to you. Because it is unmarked the photograph will just show a grassy plot but the photographer has kindly placed his camera case on the very spot and there are other headstones that are in the background that helps pinpoint it should someone want to visit and pay their respects. Just let me know your email address and if you cannot message me direct (you need a certain number of postings on this Forum to be able to do so) then be sure to put AT instead of @ so that web trawlers don't find it and bombard you with unwanted emails. Jim

Ellen,

Eliza Grant (nee Hammond) was my Grandmother's older sister..the younger sister you speak of, was my Grandmother Rosetta Watson (nee Hammond) (1883-1964)

I am aware of Eliza's death at Barnbow..I passed the details of it to J.S.some years ago.My cousin, Patricia did the research work on the death of her Great Aunt...she filled in the detail of Eliza's death and obtained the documentation which she kindly passed on copies to me.

The Hammonds were a Shropshire family who "emigrated" to Yorkshire to find work in the Yorkshire coalfields in the late 1870s. My Great Grandfather,Alfred Hammond was born in Medleywood near Ironbridge in 1851 as was my Great Grandmother,Ada (nee Dawson) in 1853.Alfred found work at the Waterloo Colliery,Leeds, which used to stand on the top of John O'Gaunt's Hill as the Pontefract/Wakefield road dropped down into Stourton and Hunslet into Leeds.

Jane Benn (nee Hammond) always referred to as Aunty Jinnie,was the eldest child born 1875 in Medleywood. She married a Benn from Barnsley...always known to the family as Barnsley Benn..

Eliza (1876) and Alfred (1880) were born in Leeds at 14,Rock Street,Leeds.Then followed James,Enoch and my Grandmother Rosetta...Hettie to the family... she was a twin but her twin,Samuel died in infancy.... she passed the twin gene to her daughters.Sometime in the early 1880s,the Hammonds moved to Castleford. They had a Fish and Chip business in Lock Lane,a terraced community over the York bridge,the other side of the Aire. They died in the early 1930s and are interred at Healdfield Road Cemetery,Castleford...the upper cemetery on the right hand side of Healdfield Road.

The christian name, Ada comes up frequently,my mother,a twin, was named after her maternal Grandmother Ada Hammond.Her twin sister was named after her paternal Grandmother,Emma Watson (nee Bond).My mother knew Lily Grant and often spoke of her...my sister knows the detail of who was who as regards Eliza's husband's children of his previous marriage.I cannot recall Clayton as a christian name but I have misplaced my file to confirm.

I have a good photograph of the Hammond family....before Grandmother Rosetta was married,which you can have if you wish.

I think the person you were trying to contact would be my cousin's daughter,Carol....the Australian branch of the family.

Hi Frank

Thank you for your response. I will send you a private message with my side of the family's details that I have. I am not 100% sure on whether Clayton was his name or not I know the name was mentioned to me but can't remember why. I know from my mum and nana that great great grandad Grant wasn't mentioned often and the only things I do know about him wasn't that positive. I can also send you a copy of the picture I have of Eliza and her sister if you would like it was taken on Eliza's 18th birthday. I just saw that she had mentioned she was related to Eliza so thought I would say hi seeing as we are all distantly related.

Ellen

• 1 year later...

Her husband was Clayton D Grant and children were Ada, George, Lily and Evelyn (although I believe not all were biologically hers as I think it was mentioned from the family that Clayton had been married before). She was born circa 1864 (not sure on exact date). My great grandma was Ada and my part of the family moved away from Yorkshire many years ago so I have yet been unable to visit the memorials to her in York Minster and in Leeds.

Hi

my Grandfather was George William Grant he married Ivy hawksby they had a bakery shop in castleford, i have a picture of lily grant,

clayton dixon grant married lucy ann barnard 1890 st mary the less allerton bywater , died 1898,

clayton dixon grant married eliza hammond 1899 st mary the less allerton bywater,

there is a picture on the memorial at manston park but no names to say who is who, there were a few people at the memorial putting poppy crosses there sunday, all the best steve

Welcome to the forum Steve,

Your post has jogged my memory regarding the name of my Great Aunty Eliza's husband.I think I am correct, looking back to my mother's recollections of the Hammonds,that Eliza's husband was known as Dixon Grant.I am certain that he was referred to by that name at the Barnbow inquest.

The marriage at Allerton Bywater of Clayton Dixon Grant and Eliza Hammond fits into the history of the family in that Eliza was interred at Allerton and he had married his first wife at the same church.The family must have lived at Allerton....over the Aire Bridge on the York road from Castleford as the road branched off on the back road to Leeds. I would say that Clayton Dixon Grant worked at Allerton Bywater Colliery....the place was always known locally as Allerton.

I cannot recollect where Manston Park is.

hi frank

they lived at 30 Aunt street lock lane allerton bywater, on the marriage certificate for eliza hammond he puts his name as clayton dixon grant, when my grandad got married his residence is down as 53 william st lock lane allerton bywater, i think it could be hunt st as i googled the address & there is a hunt st near william st both lock lane,

manston park is down austhorp road that runs down the side of the arndale centre crossgates , the park is on the left.

Steve,.Interesting information........I do not know if you know the Castleford area.

As I posted previously,Alfred and Ada Hammond my Great Grandparents lived in Lock Lane which in reality is a number of parallel streets of terraced houses to the left of the main road out of Castleford.The Lock Lane area lies over the Aire Bridge at Castleford on the now A 656 York road and is wedged between the River Aire and the Aire and Calder canal bridges.From what you say,Clayton Dixon and Eliza Grant must have lived in Lock Lane and must have lived close to Eliza's parents.Allerton Bywater Colliery is not far away but Lock Lane is a stones throw from Castleford,being over the Aire Bridge, straight into town.

Eliza was born in 1876 and would have been 40 when she was killed in the explosion at Barnbow.

Your Great Grandmother Ada would be the cousin of my mother,Ada.My mother was named after her Grandmother Ada Hammond and I would think that your Great Grandmother may also have been.

As regards Manston Park,I am familiar with Crossgates having passed through the area a number of times.On the Leeds Ring Road is the Barnbow Lasses Memorial where Eliza Grant and the other 34 or so casualties are remembered.Ian Hislop covered the Barnbow incident quite well in a documentary a few years ago....worth watching if you have not already seen it. a good couple of frames shows Eliza's name on the memorial. She is also remembered in the "womans section" in York Minster...the names are painted on the inside of a cupboard door....not easy to find unless you know where to look.

Incidentally,I am told that the Hammond family name has not survived,the only male line of my generation has daughters but no sons ....two of Eliza's brothers never married.

Kind Regards

Frank

On the Leeds Ring Road is the Memorial its on the crossing at the crossgates roundabout,

but there is a bigger one in manston park for the Barnbow Lasses,

eliza grant's name is 3 from bottom on the righ

post-117835-0-91169400-1416150004_thumb.

Thanks Steve for your note and photographs.

I have been able to ascertain more information of the Grant family and their domestic movements and what might be the final size of the family...larger that I have thought.George William Grant and Lily Grant were C D Grant's children from his first marriage.Some of the childrens' names reflect their mother's family, Hammond, as your Great Grandmother,Ada has .Eliza's first born of her marriage to Clayton Dixon Grant was named Hetty a variation of Hettie, which was the name that my Grandmother Rosetta,Eliza's youngest sister was known within her family.Eliza's children to C D Grant were Hetty,Ada,Clifford,Harrold,Evelyn and Alfred (it looks like Alfred was named after his Grandfather, Alfred Hammond).

The other interesting point is that in the 1901 Census, Clayton Grant is entered as Clayton Dixon Grant with the family living at 21 Nelson Street,Castleford while in the 1911 Census,he is entered as Dixon Grant living at 53 William Street,Lock Lane,Allerton Bywater.This address was in the Tadcaster Registration District. Across into Castleford town over the Aire Bridge was in the Pontefract Registration District.Between the 1901 and 1911 Census returns,the family must have being living at Methley,a mining village on the Castleford/Leeds road,for Harrold is shown as being born here in 1907.

C D Grant lived to a grand old age and is shown as dying in the Pontefract Registration District (probably Castleford) early in 1954, a few months after his brother in law,my Grandfather Joe died.

I will PM you to arrange for you to receive documentation relating to the Grants.

• 4 months later...

there is a service & stone laying at st mary the less church allerton bywater 2,30 the 30th of april this is the church where eliza grant was married