Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War at Sea Novels

MichaelBully

Greetings

Can pals think of any novels set during the Great War at Sea ? I can't ! Suggestions welcome. Thanks, Michael Bully

The "Everard" Novels by Alexander Fullerton (see Wiki)

"HMS Saracen" by Douglas Reeman.

George

Will check these out, many thanks George.

Appreciate your help too Daggers. Will try 'Taffrail' and 'Bartimaeus' out in the British Library catalogue.

Regards to you both, Michael Bully

The "Everard" Novels by Alexander Fullerton (see Wiki)

"HMS Saracen" by Douglas Reeman.

George

Allan Evans:

Thunder at Dawn

Ship of Force

Dauntless

Audacity

possibly others. It's a while since I read them and they are probably out of print, but you should find them in charity shops.

Roger.

I just remembered: John Biggins has some on the KUK marine.

A Sailor of Austria

The Two Headed Eagle

Tomorrow the World

The Emporers Coloured Coat

There is I believe a section on the net somewhere that has a list of nautical fiction that I forgot where it is will hopefully get back.

Thats great guys. All suggestions appreciated. I have just ordered some Douglas Reeman from Mr. Amazon -via GWF link ! Regards , Michael Bully

I've not read Biggins yet, but people seem to have good things to say about him. A can feel an Amazon search coming on for one penny copies (plus postage).

Thats great guys. All suggestions appreciated. I have just ordered some Douglas Reeman from Mr. Amazon -via GWF link ! Regards , Michael Bully

You only need one Douglas Reeman novel; all the rest are the same right down to scenes that repeat in every book (and most of the characters are the same - cowardly senior officer who always talks about how brave everyone is; CPO who has never been noticed but turns out to be a hero whilst being killed and reconciling someone, everyone else to dying with him, etc. etc.

And there will be a scene in a hotel where someone is making a lot of nosie while engaged with a woman. The cry from the next room will be, "Have you got a tiger in there"?

They are in every book.

David

I strongly recommend the four John Biggins books. Not only do they give a perspective on the war at sea, as seen by the Austro-Hungarian Navy, but the hero spends some time in the air as well, where the author paints a good picture of life above the Italian Front.

Gareth

Guest exuser1

CS Forrester had one of his novels set during the Great war and was then filmed in the 1950s and transferd to WW2 .

CS Forrester had one of his novels set during the Great war and was then filmed in the 1950s and transferd to WW2 .

Brown on Resolution.

I've an idea it was filmed twice, neither time using that title.

Stretching a point a bit I suppose you could include the African Queen.

Roger.

Well I have ordered three Reeman Great War novels in a collection of one as it were. I expect the tiger scenes will make me blush ! Regards, Michael Bully

You only need one Douglas Reeman novel; all the rest are the same right down to scenes that repeat in every book (and most of the characters are the same - cowardly senior officer who always talks about how brave everyone is; CPO who has never been noticed but turns out to be a hero whilst being killed and reconciling someone, everyone else to dying with him, etc. etc.

And there will be a scene in a hotel where someone is making a lot of nosie while engaged with a woman. The cry from the next room will be, "Have you got a tiger in there"?

They are in every book.

Brown on Resolution has been filmed twice. The 1935 version starred John Mills and had the same title as the book. The 1953 version was called Sailor of the King and moved the story to WWII; it sometimes appears on Channel 4 in the afternoon.

Thanks again for all your suggestions -much appreciated. Hadn't even realised that a couple of said novels had even made it to film. Regards , Michael Bully

I have some more from a list of nautical fiction I got from a friend some years ago:

Lusitiania David butler

Sea Chase Andrew Greer

The Lion at Sea Max Hennessy

The odyssey of a torpedoed transport Maurice larrouy

"Taffrail" (Lt Cdr Taprell Dorling) - The Secret Submarine (1916 - I have a copy somewhere... )

• 4 weeks later...

To report back as it were - I treated myself to the Alexander Fullerton trilogy 'Nicholas Everard-Mariner of England 1'

I managed to read the Jutland novel 'The Blooding of the Guns' and started 'Sixty Minutes for St. George ' but just stalled. I can enjoy a good yearn such as John Buchan's Richard Hannay novels, so don't just go for more literary works but really have to make an effort to complete this lot. Even my interest in Zeebrugge is not carrying me through 'Sixty Minutes for St. George' !

Regards

Michael Bully