Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silver War Badge ~ Help Please

Wendy Macpherson

I am here too.

Hi Glen - I first meet Scandi on the genealogy forum on Trade Me. Scandi was asking about the SWB and as I was a member with the GWF thought I would ask here for help. I will go back and check Trade Me but I think the topics on the forums are only active for one year from last comment. I am in Palmerston North if that is if any use to you, just down the road from Dannevirke.  Wendy

Scandi has not logged onto Trade Me since 24 Oct 2016. And I note she was never following this thread on the GWF. I have sent her a PM with a link so hopefully she is using the same email address.  Only other thing I can suggest is contacting the local paper in Dannevirke where she talked about doing an article. The Bush Telegraph or Hawkes Bay Today have a section for Dannevirke region.  Wendy 

Hi Wendy,

I still have the badge in my possession so maybe you can give the enquirer my email address and s/He  can discuss further.

Kind regards,

Lorraine 

5 hours ago, Scandi said:

Hi Wendy,

I still have the badge in my possession so maybe you can give the enquirer my email address and s/He  can discuss further.

Kind regards,

Lorraine 

Hi Lorraine

I do not have your email on hand. Perhaps you can PM personal message Glen direct. You will see a message tab in this link and can talk to him direct. 

https://www.greatwarforum.org/profile/139395-glc/

Hi Wendy,

My email is lorbw@xtra.co.nz and the person who inherited this from his late Father's colllection is happy to return it to the family of the original recipient.

Not sure what happens next.  Maybe the claimant will contact me personally.

Kind regards,

Lorraine 

Hi, Scandi, glad you got my message. Hopefully things can get put together to complete this story.

Perhaps you'd all let us know the ending?

Lorraine I got your PM this morning and replied to it.

Just sit tight at the moment, Glen will contact you direct either via the email you have posted or personal message you. 

Sometimes new members forget to follow the threads they comment in and it can take a few days for them to come back again.

If there is a problem with Glen not coming back again I am sure the GWF can email him as they will have his contact. 

Wendy 

On 7/14/2018 at 11:15 AM, KevinBattle said:

Hurrah! At last a descendant appears!

Obviously this is an old thrad, but can you please confirm that the family (i.e. at least you) will hold on to the medal and not put it up for resale with info provied from here?

Many of us relish the challenge of reuniting medals that the family, for whatever reason, previously disposed of. Sometimes it's just for the silver content, to feed the family, but now it can be a bit of an industry, claiming back medals that others have given freely of their time and expertise to rack down.

I'm NOT saying that's your intent, but a commitment to hold the SWB in the family and not sell on with our "provenance" is expected, please.

We do this out of respect and appreciation of the sacrifice of the badge owner, and to re-unite with deserving family. It's the least we can expect for the same altruism if these items are returned to the family to appreciate, not profit from.

You'll have noted that Scandi lost her mother during this and as it dates from 2014 she may not see this straight away.

I can promise you Kevin, this will be placed with the other medals etc of family members who have served or given their lives to keep our freedom (and there are many of them, from WW1 to Vietnam)

Wendy, I live in Wanganui, so not too far away.

Lorraine, I will contact you via your email.

I am so pleased to have found this forum and that this thread is still alive.

Many thanks to all who have participated in it.

Cheers, Glen 

1 hour ago, GLC said:

eI can promise you Kevin, this will be placed with the other medals etc of family members who have served or given their lives to keep our freedom (and there are many of them, from WW1 to Vietnam)

Wendy, I live in Wanganui, so not too far away.

Lorraine, I will contact you via your email.

I am so pleased to have found this forum and that this thread is still alive.

Many thanks to all who have participated in it.

Cheers, Glen 

Fantastic we are all pretty close as the crow flies.

Would be good if you can offer Lorraine provenance of some nature  but will let you both work that out.

Please come back and show us photos and share the story behind Uncle George Dunn some time.

Regards Wendy 

Edited by Wendy Macpherson