Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silver War Badge ~ Help Please

Wendy Macpherson

Hello all

I'm trying to find out the recipient's name of the Silver War Badge #43088.

I have looked on Ancestry under Military/Decorations/Silver War Badge however the number 43088 is not returning me any results.

This badge is located in New Zealand and I believe we dont have a catalog of the badge recipients from Nz.

Can a kind person double check Ancestry for me please.

Many thanks

George Dunn 6th Batt. The Royal Fusiliers 43088 Regiment Number 2109

Enlisted 30/11/1914

Discharged 12/1/1917

Sickness 392 (XVI) K.R.

Overseas service = yes

CGM

You're very welcome, Wendy.

The number of my AIF grandfather's SWB begins with A. Do NZ SWBs begin with NZ ?

CGM

Yes I believe New Zealand badges have a Nz punched before the number :)

The badge in question must have something punched in front of the number that represents Britain. I dont have the badge here to view unfortunately.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, I have the badge 43088 in my possession and wish to return it to family members but I feel it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

• Admin

Yes I believe New Zealand badges have a Nz punched before the number :)

The badge in question must have something punched in front of the number that represents Britain. I dont have the badge here to view unfortunately.

Hi Wendy

Details here on basdge numbering for the British Army. http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=48261&st=100#entry1171727

Being the main body, I guess they didn't need to prefix it with anything country specific.

Glen

• Admin

Hi there, I have the badge 43088 in my possession and wish to return it to family members but I feel it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Hi Sancdi

Welcome to the Forum. That badge was issued to:

2109 Pte George Dunn

6Bn Royal Fusiliers

Served 30.11.14 to 12.1.17 and was discharged due to sickness under KR 392(xvi)

Served overseas.

Glen

Scandi: See Post #2 for the correct spelling, George DUNN - Glen's fingers obviously faster than he expected!

George Dunn is shown as being in France with 24th Bn Royal Fusiliers, and although discharged on 12 January 1917, he apparently applied for his medals from a New Zealand address, so you might need to sweet talk Wendy Mac to help locate descendants of George, who lived at C/O Box 123, Dameverke (Danniverke?), New Zealand in March 1928.....

I think he emigrated after the War, as otherwise he'd most likely have been serving in the New Zealand Forces, but I'm not an expert, so he might have been a Kiwi pre War....?

Thanks SPOF

Scandi: See Post #2 for the correct spelling, George DUNN - Glen's fingers obviously faster than he expected!

George Dunn is shown as being in France with 24th Bn Royal Fusiliers, and although discharged on 12 January 1917, he apparently applied for his medals from a New Zealand address, so you might need to sweet talk Wendy Mac to help locate descendants of George, who lived at C/O Box 123, Dameverke (Dannevirke?), New Zealand in March 1928.....

I think he emigrated after the War, as otherwise he'd most likely have been serving in the New Zealand Forces, but I'm not an expert, so he might have been a Kiwi pre War....?

Kevin did you have a birth date for George DUNN. I think I have found him living in Dannevirke and cremated in Palmerston North, NZ.

There a a few DUNN's buried in Dannevirke and they still have reserved plots at the cemetery. I have all the marriage and burial disks and am able to look up historic events, I'm not so sure how I would go looking for live relatives. This is small town New Zealand and chances are pretty good that the DUNN family in the Dannevirke area phone book are related to George.

Surname DUNN

First Names GEORGE

Gender Male

Occupation LABOURER

Address NEPTUNE STREET DANNEVIRKE

Denomination Not Known

Age at Death 87Y

Date of Death 27/06/1958

Place of Death UN-KNOWN

Date of Cremation 01/07/1958

Warrant Type CREMATION

Cemetery Kelvin Grove Cemetery & Crem

Head Stone No

Book of Memories YES

Wendy, I'm with you on the sweet talk (does the kiwi fruit count as a sweet/dessert?) but I just looked up his MIC and that was the info on it.

We won't even be able to give you a wave, as I don't think we overfly NZ when we're off to Melbourne via Guangzhou in October - but I'll think of you, how's that?....

To reverse locate him pre war in the UK from just the MIC without Service Record won't be easy, but IF there are records for a George Dunn of about the right age in Dannevirke, then that's likely to be him, I can't see hundreds of George Dunns all deciding that NZ, even with it's (visible) super moon and stormy beaches etc etc, is the place for them................. :thumbsup:

Now we just need Scandi to come back (let's hope she's in NZ too) so the SWB can find it's way back to the family....

I'd hold off contacting any potential relatives until Scandi comes back so we know how easy/difficult a "reunion" might be.

Right you are Kevin :) I was going to suggest to Scandi that she get in touch with Gary Traynor from 'Medals Gone Missing in Austraila' http://www.medalsgonemissing.com/index.html Gary has reunited a lot of named medals and insigna over this side, he has a good reputiation. I'm always of two minds with returning medals etc to families that have more than likely have already sold them off at some stage, bit of a tough one as a generation or two later someone in the family may then want them! But who knows someone may very well be looking for the badge. We will wait and see if she can find her way back to the thread.

Thanks everyone for the help. I haven't a clue how to find my way around this site. I am not that computer literate.

I was given the badges to sell and after getting no bids I decided to try and return the badge. I live in Dannevirke and have just tried phoning the only Dunn in the phone book but they are currently away. Will keep you posted if I can find my way back here.

I have been selling a box of badges on behalf of an elderly gentleman and have had to research them all as I have no knowledge of them. He has had them in his possession for more than 50 years.

Someone may be able to tell me if the NZ Military had a badge with the words "Who Dares Wins". I have tried to research it but cannot find and images that match exactly, so may have to search further afield. Thanks again.

Good lord what a coincidence that you live in Dannevirke Scandi, if your friend who you are selling on behalf also lives there perhaps he may have of aquired the war badge locally. I saw the badge for sale on TradeMe, if you have no luck locating the family perhaps re list the badge and include the soldiers details and New Zealand connection.

Geoffrey Oldham Second Edition 2011: Lapel Badge 11/1. World War 1, Stg. Sil $35.00 Honourable Discharge Badge (For king and Empire Silver War Badge)

Austrailian Special Air Services have a badge with 'Who Dares Wins' https://en.wikipedia...ervice_Regiment

• 1 month later...

I am still pursuing the decendants of this badge and a Reporter is coming around tomorrow to write an article in local newspapers, so fingers crossed. Thanks for all the help.

Best of luck finding the family, please keep us posted, would love to know if you have a happy reunion.

• 2 weeks later...

George Dunn has 2 pension records on Ancestry, showing date of birth as 1874 and his enlistment in Nov 1914 in the 2nd Sportsman Battalion aka the 24th Royal Fusiliers. Occupation is given as a farmer with wife (Anne nee McGill, married in 1901) and 3 children (George Eric Dunn b 1902, Nancy McGill Dunn b 1905, Margaret Mitchell Dunn b 1909). A note in 1916 puts his age at 45.

He appears to have been born in Bargrennan, Scotland 1871, son of George and Mary (nee Mitchell). Glencaird, Newton Stewart, Wigtown, Minnigaff parish appear in the records,

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYBS-QFW

In the 1901 census he is a 30 year old farmer and single. The parents are living at Tarlair Villa in Wigtown. George Snr died in late 1921 and Tarlair Villa is given as his address on his probate record.

This rootsweb entry (with an NZ owner going by the email address) may be the daughter Margaret but not confirmed :

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=sooty&id=I8439

There are a number of public family trees on Ancestry that touch on George Dunn but only give his birth as 1871 and the parents and sibling details. The trees appear to focus on the Mitchell line. Also 1 private tree with no visible info other than the father. One tree does have George's sister Mary Jane Dunn as marrying a chap called Thomas McKelvie Robb. She appears to have died in 1951 in Castle Douglas not too far from Wigtown.

Another tree has George's brother James as died in Wigtownshire in 1960. His wife Agnes (nee Mercer) died in Birmingham in 1961.

• 1 year later...

Many thanks everyone for all your help re George Dunn. I have only just been able to continue with the search as my Mum passed away and we have been moving house etc etc and time has just got away on me.

• 3 years later...
On 6/25/2013 at 7:24 PM, Scandi said:

Thanks everyone for the help. I haven't a clue how to find my way around this site. I am not that computer literate.

I was given the badges to sell and after getting no bids I decided to try and return the badge. I live in Dannevirke and have just tried phoning the only Dunn in the phone book but they are currently away. Will keep you posted if I can find my way back here.

I have been selling a box of badges on behalf of an elderly gentleman and have had to research them all as I have no knowledge of them. He has had them in his possession for more than 50 years.

Someone may be able to tell me if the NZ Military had a badge with the words "Who Dares Wins". I have tried to research it but cannot find and images that match exactly, so may have to search further afield. Thanks again.

The NZ SAS use the motto "Who Dares Wins"

On 5/26/2013 at 10:41 PM, Wendy Macpherson said:

Hello all

I'm trying to find out the recipient's name of the Silver War Badge #43088.

I have looked on Ancestry under Military/Decorations/Silver War Badge however the number 43088 is not returning me any results.

This badge is located in New Zealand and I believe we dont have a catalog of the badge recipients from Nz.

Can a kind person double check Ancestry for me please.

Many thanks

On 6/23/2013 at 9:39 PM, Scandi said:

This is my Uncle George Beresford Mitchell Dunn's Uncle George, born in 1871 Bargrennan,Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland, died in NZ in 1958, buried in Palmerston North. He and his brothers David and Robert emigrated out here.

If you are still in receipt of this medal, the family would be pleased to receive it back into their keeping.

Please contact me for further verification etc.

Many thanks, Glen

Hurrah! At last a descendant appears!

Obviously this is an old thrad, but can you please confirm that the family (i.e. at least you) will hold on to the medal and not put it up for resale with info provied from here?

Many of us relish the challenge of reuniting medals that the family, for whatever reason, previously disposed of. Sometimes it's just for the silver content, to feed the family, but now it can be a bit of an industry, claiming back medals that others have given freely of their time and expertise to rack down.

I'm NOT saying that's your intent, but a commitment to hold the SWB in the family and not sell on with our "provenance" is expected, please.

We do this out of respect and appreciation of the sacrifice of the badge owner, and to re-unite with deserving family. It's the least we can expect for the same altruism if these items are returned to the family to appreciate, not profit from.

You'll have noted that Scandi lost her mother during this and as it dates from 2014 she may not see this straight away.

17 minutes ago, KevinBattle said:

Hurrah! At last a descendant appears!

Obviously this is an old thrad, but can you please confirm that the family (i.e. at least you) will hold on to the medal and not put it up for resale with info provied from here?

Many of us relish the challenge of reuniting medals that the family, for whatever reason, previously disposed of. Sometimes it's just for the silver content, to feed the family, but now it can be a bit of an industry, claiming back medals that others have given freely of their time and expertise to rack down.

I'm NOT saying that's your intent, but a commitment to hold the SWB in the family and not sell on with our "provenance" is expected, please.

We do this out of respect and appreciation of the sacrifice of the badge owner, and to re-unite with deserving family. It's the least we can expect for the same altruism if these items are returned to the family to appreciate, not profit from.

You'll have noted that Scandi lost her mother during this and as it dates from 2014 she may not see this straight away.

I'll second that.

Scandi has not logged on for some time,  I sent a message to the O.P, Wendy Macpherson who is still an active member.

Edited by GWF1967