Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Giles Eyre

paul guthrie

I finally located a copy of Somme Harvest, albeit a poor photocopy at $14!

It's a really fine account. There is only minimal information about the author, can someone tell me about him? Frankly, he is extremely literate for a working class man of the time, am I correct in asuming that he was not though he was an OR man? Thanks.

Little is known about Giles Eyre - he's a bit of a mystery.

A friend of mine, a founder member of the WFA, met him on the ferry going across to the Somme ceremonies in 1966; so he was still alive then. He told him that he (Eyre) was taken prisoner later on.

That's as much as I know - if anyone can add anymore, then I'd be interested to read it.

William Mariner, VC

2nd King's Royal Rifle Corps

On 22 May 1915 near Cambrin, France, during a violent thunder storm, Private Mariner left his trench and crept out through German wire entanglements until he reached the emplacement of an enemy gun which had been hindering progress. He climbed on top of a German parapet and threw a bomb under the roof of the emplacement and after 15 minutes he threw another bomb. He then waited while the guns opened fire on the wire entanglements behind him and eventually he was able to return to his own trench. He had been out alone for one and a half hours.

Well I was going to give this to anyone for postage with first dibs to Paul Reed but if this is true and if I were you I would get the reprint. I really wanted to read this to buy a photocopy but about 25 of 255 pages are poor, can read about half.

If someone in the UK wants it let me know, would ask you give postage cost to Chris for site maintenance.