Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Ernest Richard Thorby (15755) MM

stephen p nunn

Evening all.

I have a friend who's relation died in the Great War and was awarded the MM in April or May 1918. However, he then died in September 1918 and I am trying to find out how he died. His name was Private Ernest Richard Thorby (15755).

This is what we know so far:

Born March 1898 Barway, Cambridgeshire, a small village about three miles south of Ely on Soham Lode.

Enlisted Tuesday 26th July 1915 aged 18 at Newmarket Heath, Suffolk, while resident in Upware, a hamlet of Wicken, Cambridgeshire.

Awarded the Military Medal Thursday 2nd May 1918, gazetted on 29th August 1918. The MM was probably won in action at Cachy in April 1918, when the 7th Bedfordshire Regiment combined with the 7th Buffs (East Kent Regiment) to form one battalion, due to heavy losses.

This extract is from the Regimental War Diary (in billets), Sunday 28th April 1918. Battalion ordered to "stand to" at 4 am. Moved up to line by stages during the day & took up position just South of CACHY. Battalion ordered to do counter attack at 10 p.m. From information received, the enemy had penetrated our defences to a depth of 2000 yds (approx.) on a wide frontage. Battalion was formed up in position for attack with Royal West Kent's on right and Australians on left. Night was intensely dark. Battalion moved forward to the assault and encountered slight opposition for first 1000 yds. When battalion on our right was held up by heavy machine gun fire. The Reserve Company was ordered forward at this stage & thus reinforced the assault was continued & final objective reached in spite of fierce enemy opposition & with two exposed flanks. The left company of battalion was ordered to withdraw in order to conform with line of battalion on left. The right flank still remained exposed. At this stage 2/Lt.Tysoe [William TYSOE, DSO, MC] (in Action 25-4-18) was the only Company Officer left. Lt.Tysoe reorganised the line & sent in very clear reports as to the situation as known to him. As a result of this a section of the 54th Machine Gun Coy was ordered forward to cover the exposed right flank - a weak line being formed of headquarter details. During the whole of the 25th April. Lt.Tysoe held this line & repulsed an enemy attack on his right flank, which was launched after a heavy bombardment. Frontage held by battalion 1100 yds. About 10 p.m. the battalion was relieved by French Colonials & marched to bivouacs in Support in rear of our original line. During this action the regiment alone took over 200 prisoners. Many enemy dead were observed on the captured ground. Five enemy machine guns were captured during this action & handed over to the French on relief. Throughout the action 2/Lt.Tysoe displayed the greatest gallantry and leadership & the success of this difficult operation was largely due to his efforts.

We know he died Saturday 21st September 1918 aged 21 - the Son of Robert and Elizabeth Thorby, of Soham Rd, Stuntney, Ely, Cambridgeshire. He is listed on the war memorial at The Swaffham Fen Methodist Wesleyan Chapel, Great Drove, Swaffham Fen, Swaffham Prior, the city centre memorial in Ely and Vis-En-Artois memorial France.

Does anyone know how he died please?

Thanks all.

SPN

Maldon

Thanks Craig - yes indeed, but does anyone know how/what happened and where?

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Maldon

The war diary can be found here though it doesn't help with much detail.

http://www.bedfordregiment.org.uk/2ndbn/2ndbtn1918diary.html

Kind regards

Colin

Maldon

The war diary can be found here though it doesn't help with much detail.

http://www.bedfordre...n1918diary.html

Kind regards

Colin

Thanks Colin - so involved in operations at Ronnsoy. Thank you very much for this link.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

Thorby is mentioned on page 26 of the Reminiscences of Professor Harry F Trewman. Liddle Collection, Leeds University Library.

Sorry I do not have my copy to hand at the moment and have no idea what is written about him.

Trewman was an officer in the 7th Beds Regiment.

Thorby is mentioned on page 26 of the Reminiscences of Professor Harry F Trewman. Liddle Collection, Leeds University Library.

Sorry I do not have my copy to hand at the moment and have no idea what is written about him.

Trewman was an officer in the 7th Beds Regiment.

Thank you very much for this ecellent lead.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

• 6 years later...

I believe this man is Ernest Robert THORBY, rather than Ernest Richard, if so he died instantly when a piece of shell hit him on the head while sitting in the trench. There is a memorial plaque with his name on it in the Little chapel in the fen , I am a trustee of this chapel.

nicki martin

4 hours ago, Nicola martin said:

I believe this man is Ernest Robert THORBY, rather than Ernest Richard,

Nicki,

Pension Cards agree with you !

Charlie