Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Displaying Medals

Kevin Tobin

I have searched GWF and found several good topics on displaying medals, however my question is what should you use to attach the medals to a board for display.

I currently use a Sundealla (?) board which is like a pin board and cover it in material. I then hammer small pins through the medal ribbon to attach it to the board. This is not good as it damages the ribbons.

I would still like to use the covered board, but use another way of attaching the medals.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks

For professional mounting try www.awardmedals.com - they got some nice looking display cabinets.

Ant

• 1 month later...

I have been using IKEA picture frames as I found that they were reasonably priced, solid timber, good depth and well made. Unfortunately they have gone cheap lately and they are now made from laminated chipboard and they just don’t have the same quality. Still I managed to pick up 18 of the old style recently at $100 the lot!

I have previously used self sticking dark green felt to cover the back board. I now just spray paint it mat black. I use pieces of balsa wood to get the right depth hidden behind the map board.

I have previously court mounted the medals and then used large lumps of Velcro being hobby glued to the back of the court mounting and the opposite piece glued to the backing board. It makes it easy to position them after it has all dried and also if you want to change them you just peel them off.

My latest method is to cut a square of thick balsa wood to the size of a normal court mounting. I use double sided hobby stick paper to glue the ribbon over the balsa wood block. A second piece of ribbon with the medal attached to mount it to the block. I still use the Velcro method to mount it in the frame.

If you want any close up pictures just drop me an email direct. Robinson6263@hotmail.com

Cheers Ed

post-7898-0-68785500-1373711987_thumb.jp

Ed,

They look good!

I think I will try the velcro method. As you say it lets you change them round

Thank you,

Kevin

Hello Kevin

My advise to you is get rid of the pins as they will rust and damage the ribbons, I used to display and frame medals professionally and the technique we used was to sew the ribbon bar to the backing board using fine 'fishing' nylon and also sew a loop around the narrowest part of the medal eg.,the suspender, so as to take the weight off the ribbon. As the nylon is transparent it is almost invisible. Do not allow the ribbon to bear the medal weight and do not use glues either on the ribbon or the medal itself. It is a slow process but the result is worth it and no harm is done to the display item.

regards

khaki

Khaki,

That sounds good as you are not glueing the velcro to the ribbon.

Have seen some mounted like that with cotton, but as you say transparent fishing lines is better.

Time to raid sons fishing box!