Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying To Find Gt Grandfather's Medals: GOSLING, Grenadier Gds

Guest TheHistoryHeraldEditor

Guest TheHistoryHeraldEditor

Hi all,

First post on the forum so hopefully it's in the right place! My name's Jonny and I'm trying to track down my great grandfather's WWI medals. Sadly, these were originally sold a few years ago (circa 2006/2007) by another family member without the knowledge or permission of my (now deceased) grandmother, and all I have been able to establish is that they were then sold at auction by Spink & Son in 2007. My family would be more than happy to pay the current market value to "repatriate" them, and I'm really hopeful that the forum may be able to help that happen.

My great grandfather, Sergeant Richard Gosling (9552) of the Grenadier Guards (pictured in my avatar), was killed in action on the 16th September 1916 and is buried at Guillemont Rd cemetery. The medals I am attempting to locate are his 1914-15 Star, British War and Victory Medals.

I have added the medal information to Medal Tracker, and also on the BMF.

If any members of the forum know of their whereabouts or able to provide me with any advice as to how I might track them down, I'd be eternally grateful if you could get in touch.

Cheers,

Jonny

Have you tried to contact Spink & Son.

They will not divulge the buyers details (if they still have the sale record 06/07) but may be willing to forward a request from you with

your details for them to contact you. It's a long shot but it has been known.

The other suggestion you have already done. Maybe an advert in a mainstream paper may jog some grey matter.

Simon.

Hi Jonny, I'm new on here too, and like you, am keen to track down my grandfather's medals.

I found another website possibly worth trying. Well, it's free, so why not? http://www.lostmedals.co.uk/

I've put my dad's and granddad's info there.

Could you tell me what BMF is, please?

Good luck!

Simon

• 4 weeks later...

on the plus side at least you know they are out there and not melted down in the last century

if you say sold without permission are you suggesting a theft occurred ? If so and you know they sold at Spink then the Police may be able to assist if a crime is raised as Im sure Spink will have excellent records

• 2 weeks later...

It always amazes me that despite the fact you have used all the correct sources to advertise the owner is either ignorant of your advertising..........or has chosen to simply ignore it. I missed a single medal (good for a reunite) from a medal catalogue over ten years ago and then advertised four times in consecutive catalogues after that and received no response. Either the buyer wasn't reading the wanted section or didn't want to sell. Sometimes though it is just nice to hear that the medal is in good hands and sometimes, someone who wants something very badly can make an offer that you cannot refuse!