Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battlefield Tour to Macedonia: September 2013

awakefield

Dear All

Just to let you know that there are a few places open on this year's battlefield tour being run by the Salonika Campaign Society this September. The itinerary will include all key sites relating to British involvement in the Campaign: Doiran, Struma Valley, Kosturino; attending the official ceremonies of commemoration and three nights in Thessaloniki - including free time to explore the city. The Doiran battlefield is one of the best preserved First World War battlefields anywhere with new discoveries of British and Bulgarian positions being made every year.

The tour cost is £800 (single room) or £700 (shared room). Price includes: accommodation, in-country transport, food, local guides. Each traveller is responsible for booking their own flights (we will fly into Skopje from Luton on 22 September and return from Thessaloniki to either Gatwick or Stansted on 30 September).

Anyone interested please PM me and I'll send on additional details.

ALAN

• 1 month later...

I don't want to put anyone off, but I'll be going.

I enjoyed the experience so much last year that I'm up for it again.

Keith

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Folks

Just flagging this up again as there are still a couple of places open on the tour in September.

Feel free to pass details on to anyone you feel might be interested.

For additional details or any questions please PM me and leave an email address.

ALAN

Guaranteed sunshine, spectacular battlefields, superb food and wine...

Form an odrerly queue.

And some quite exceptional company!

Keith

Apart from the presence of certain disreputable individuals I would love to go. Work and lack of holiday time prevents me this year but I hope to do it one day.

Neil

• 1 month later...

Despite Neil's reservations it was an excellent tour, and some images will appear here later as well as on the SCS website. I'm not sure which "disreputable" individuals he was referring to, but the GWF was certainly well represented. Oh, and the circling eagles did not acquire any victims.

Keith

I will have to go at some stage.

Does the trip take in the Dorian Memorial?

The reason I ask is that my Great Uncle's name appears on it.

It is the only memorial that I can visit as my other relatives survived.

But another member on the forum told me it's a hard place to access.

Regards

Gerry

Gerry

The tours out to Macedonia certainly do take in the Doiran Memorial. Do you have a particular interest in the 10th (Irish) Division? If so, you might be interested to know that in 2015 the SCS is hoping to run a tour that will take in all the key 10th Division locations in the region.

ALAN

Hello Alan,

Thank you for the info

I have a interest in the 10th Division my Great Uncle was attached to it.

Lcp Joseph Cavanagh 9634 1st, 2nd 5th Batt Royal Irish Regiment. Died at sea 13 Sept.

I would be interested in a trip.Can you please tell me who are the SCS.

Regards

Gerry

Thank You Kate

Gerry

If you (or anyone) wish to join, send an email to members@salonikacampaignsociety.org.uk or visit www.salonikacampaignsociety.org.uk for further details of the Society.

Keith

Keith, delighted to see that Alan plans a trip in 2015. I for one would be interested in going again & I'm sure that the RDFA might also be interested. Between The Gallipolian & the SCS, you certainly have a lot on your plate.

Regards to Lyn et al.

"Come on the Dubs". ((Regimental battle cry of the RDF)

Séamus

Hello again Séamus.

We missed your songs and jokes.

Give our regards to Sean.

Kate

Hi Séamus

I am currently in Gallipoli with Lyn and only this afternoon, as we made our way down from Chunuk Bair to No 2 NZ Outpost, told the tale of you singing 'Danny Boy' at the 10th Irish Div memorial last year .

We should try to repeat the 'class of 2012' trip soonest.

Regards

Keith

Hi Keith,

I just sent a message to Keith Roberts saying that I hope to make the trip in 2015. I think Alan does two trips annually, one in May and the other in September. I assume the September one would be for the "Irish key locations" as Alan put it.

Glad to note that Lyn is back trekking the battlefields. Give her my best wishes.

"Come on the Dubs"

Séamus

• 5 weeks later...

I am also very interested in a trip to Salonika in 2015.

My grandfather John Grieve was in the Army Service Corps there - 476 Company of the 10th Divisional Train and attached to the 10th (Irish) Division.

Will details of the trip be advertised on here?

Nickie

Yes, and also on the Salonika Campaign Society website. You can send a PM to forum member Alan Wakefield who is the organiser, and he will ensure that you are kept informed.

The countryside, especially in Macedonia is breathtaking, and well worth the effort. Oh, and no hundreds of coach parties clog up the area either.

Keith