Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P1888 bayonets

jscott

Chris,

Y.L.I. is The King's Own ( Yorkshire Light Infantry )

H,

on the bayonet the YLF and 683 are crossed out. I assume they were the Boer war stampings and reissued in 1915 to someone heading off for gallipoli?

Best

Chris

They are lovely rifles,

I agree, they are a superb rifle. Attached are photos of 2 of the 3 MLEs I have in my Collection, the darker MLE made with special Fiddleback Striped Walnut woodwork, is a rare one off MLE Presentation Rifle made by and presented to a Bisley Champion by the London Small Arms Company Ltd.

LF

post-63666-0-41245900-1389618592_thumb.j

post-63666-0-00405300-1389618617_thumb.j

post-63666-0-67458000-1389618650_thumb.j

Here is the other side of the MLE Presentation Rifle showing it's all original condition including the long range dial sight which is marked from 1600 to 2800 yards, and is used in conjunction with the folding rear aperture sight, sadly many MLEs have had these originally fitted sights removed.

LF

post-63666-0-14375600-1389627249_thumb.j

At the risk of continuing to draw this thread toward the rifles that used the P1888 and away from the bayonets themselves, let me say that those are spectacular examples of the MLE posted here. My own is a very, very, worn example. It is, however, Canadian-marked, which is a big thing for me. Canada was the first in line when the MLE was being produced, so mine is among the first ever produced at Enfield (s/n 1336, no prefix). It managed, as well, to stay in Mk I no-star configuration, not undergoing the upgrades to offset the sights to correct the original issues seen in South Africa of the rifle not shooting where it was pointed.

At the risk of continuing to draw this thread toward the rifles that used the P1888

Mk I no-star configuration

I am sure most of those interested in the P1888 bayonet, would also be interested in the rifle that it fitted to.

My 3rd MLE will be of interest to you, and I shall try to take some pics. Like your's, it is an MLE Mk.1 with an early serial number of 8516, and again like your's, was one of the early production number of the 317,000 MLE Mk.1s made before the introduction of the MLE Mk.1*.

It is still in its all original condition, complete with a long range dial sight used in conjunction with the folding rear aperture sight, and still has its clearing rod.

Of particular interest to you, is that in addition to the butt impressed maker's roundal ( QV - BSA - Birmingham - W ^ D - L 1. ), the butt is also stamped with the ' M & D ' mark for Militia & Defence, showing it's Canadian service credentials.

Regards,

LF

Lovely rifles LF, thanks for posting.

Pleased to hear you found them interesting, the ' Long Lees ' are particularly nice looking rifles.

Regards,

LF

I have a few P'1888 will have to do some photos but for now & seeing we're posting them, here's some of my rifles that take the P'88

1893 LSA MLM MkII original Metford barrel, re-numbered bolt, NZ marked

1893mlm1.jpg

1901 BSA MLE Mk1* Matching original numbers, NZ marked

pvu6.jpg

1902 New Zealand Carbine Mis-matched bolt, NZ marked.

c0mn.jpg

The long range dial sight which is marked from 1600 to 2800 yards, and is used in conjunction with the folding rear aperture sight, sadly many MLEs have had these originally fitted sights removed.

Yes I find the whole sighting repertoire on these MLE's the most interesting part - particularly the volley sights which are especially "quaint" and I think a throwback to the old Victorian Wars days.

Here is a closeup of the dial sights on mine. She is a well battered old girl, but as a service rifle that has remained in the same shape for over 100 years it shows plenty of the character that I like.

(It is a BSA 1901 as you can see from the inspection marks, which did enough to warrant a 1909 rebarrel before being 'sold out of service' to Australia, where it was then issued to Victorian forces)

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-93737300-1389696651_thumb.j

1902 New Zealand Carbine Mis-matched bolt, NZ marked.

A very nice selection of rifles, I particularly liked the NZ Carbine, which is not often seen.

Regards,

LF

OK so to add to the set of rifles taking the P1888

A CLLE and a RIC Carbine. The CLLE is a very battered but complete and (miraculously) with matching bolt.

post-14525-0-62797100-1389708663_thumb.j

CLLE (note this is an Indian Pattern which does NOT have the foresight protector wings more commonly seen on CLLE)

post-14525-0-36549800-1389708664_thumb.j

RIC carbine

post-14525-0-06709600-1389708664_thumb.j

Then a couple of P1888s on MLEs a MkI (missing clearing rod) and MkI*

Well I think that is nearly a full set of rifles and carbines, except for perhaps a MEAC with the Rigby nosecap, which also fitted the P1888 bayonet.

And of course a Martini-Metford Mk.I which is also configured that way. Interesting when you look at it, that the P'88 wasn't just an 'Enfield bayonet'.

And a good view in Chris' photo of that "big slot" on the bottom of the bayonet pommel, which does remain visible when attached to the rifle (nice pic)

Cheers, S>S

Very appropriate for Shippingsteel to remind us of the Martini Metfords and Martini Enfields.

Herewith one of the first and the last: A Martini Metford Rifle of 1891(South Australia) and a Natal Pattern Martini Enfield Mk.III Artillery Carbine of 1905. There were about seven other Metford and Enfield Artillery Carbines which accepted the Pattern 1888.

Excellent stuff Terrylee and thanks for coming to the party with those other Martini variants.! I was hoping someone would be able to post the photos. :thumbsup:

It's nice to be able to complete the set. They look like tidy rifles and show themselves off even better with those nice bayonets attached, so well done.

Cheers, S>S

Herewith one of the first and the last: A Martini Metford Rifle of 1891(South Australia) and a Natal Pattern Martini Enfield Mk.III Artillery Carbine of 1905. There were about seven other Metford and Enfield Artillery Carbines which accepted the Pattern 1888.

Terrylee,

2 excellent rifles, and nice to see the Pattern 1888 Mk.1, 1st Type with the 3 grip rivets, attached to the Martini Metford. Is that bayonet's pommel marked ?

Regards,

LF

I'm glad that the Martini rifles were of interest. I have a number of the intermediate Artillery Carbines but they are very similar to the one already posted and further photos would add nothing new.

Unfortunately, neither of my first type Pattern 1888s Mk.I have regimental markings, only stand numbers. Both were accepted in February, 1890. No.663 shows the markings of several refurbishments over the period 1895 to 1899 while No.410 has demilitarisation and condemning marks with a final date of '03.

Interesting about the dates on your Mk.I's, and just keep in mind that not all the restamped dates relate to refurbishment, but can also simply indicate reissue out of stores.

My earliest Mk.I (2nd type) is an Enfield dated Jan 1891, with reissue dates of '96, '99, '00, '03 & '06. It too is only rack numbered. The 1st Type weren't produced for long.!

Cheers, S>S

Some awesome looking rifles/carbines & bayonets you have there chaps,always liked the look of the 1888 bayonet mounted on the martini carbines for some reason :thumbsup:

Here are a few bayonets ( few of them need some fair amount of time spent on them) :blush:

MK1 (not sure if it will clean up that well, looks like could have some quite heavy pitting to tip of blade)

3 mk1 type 2

5 mk2 (couple need cleaning to pommels & scabbards)

mk3 (quite rough but most that I have encountered have seen some use)

mk1 type 2 & mk2 volunteer

mk1 type 2 & 3 190320140109_1435201.jpg20140109_1437431.jpg

Here are a few bayonets ( few of them need some fair amount of time spent on them) :blush:

Nice collection, the Mk.1 would be well worth the effort, such a sought after bayonet, some nice scabbards also.

Regards,

LF

Wow, spectacular collections. This has been very informative for me, so thanks for all the knowledge shared. As I have my eye on some other items, I'm going to have to part with a few items to finance the new bits, so after much internal debate, I think my "MR"-marked 1888 will have to go. I hope this is something I do not regret down the road.

Aleck, nice selection of P1888 bayonets and I like your collection of scabbards for the P1903.

Some of your P'88 scabbards are actually shortened P1907s, often found coming out of India.

You can see by the length of topmount, the size of the teardrop stud, and shape of the chape.

Cheers, S>S

Lovely bayonets Aleck, quite the collection! Are there any regimental markings on the bayonets that you've posted?

Cheers, Jonathan

LF & Jscott, got a few days off starting monday morning, will try & get round to cleaning a few of the bayonets (once I get thru the dragons list of chores) to check for markings.

S/S, thought I might as well add a few different/more scarce scabbards to the collection as getting a harder/more expensive to find bayonets that I dont already have but turns out that the bloody scabbards aint that cheaper either.

Knew there were a couple of indian cut down 1907 scabbards, strangest 1 is the 1 on the WMV volunteer bayonet as would have thought it would have been bought with a mk1 scabbard but suppose it must have been paired with it later.

Aleck

• 3 weeks later...