Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ian Bowbrick

'No Ranking Service Overseas'

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Came across this phrase on the MIC of an officer who DoW 10 days after embarking to France. Does anyone know what it means?

The best I can think of is that the officer was wounded before, either on route from BD or going up the line, before he was able to join his unit and subsequently died.

Any advice welcome.

Ian

:rolleyes:

Conor Dodd

I don't know if this will help but my Great Great Uncle was K I A 8 days after disimbarking so it is possible that the officer was in action and was wounded ? :huh:

Conor :D

Sue Light

Ian

I have this on a mic for a local man. He enlisted as a private soldier into the Artists Rifles on 31/8/14, and transferred to the 6th Battn. King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry with the rank of 2nd Lt. on 7th December 1914. By the time he went to France in May 1915 he was a Captain. I have always assumed that it refers to his previous OR service in England.

Regards - Sue [preparing to be shot down in flames]

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Sue,

That's possible. Problem is the man concerned had no OR service. <_<

The plot thickens!

Ian

CROONAERT

Ian.

Could I ask you what rank this officer was?

Dave

Paul Reed

It means that he was an officer with previous service in the ranks who did not serve overseas (ie. outside of UK) as an Other Rank - simple as that.

CROONAERT
It means that he was an officer with previous service in the ranks who did not serve overseas (ie. outside of UK) as an Other Rank - simple as that.

Ian.

I asked his rank because I have the medals to a 2/Lt. who has a similar story, dying of wounds shortly after being commissioned. I know this particular officer's story and, as Paul has stated, he served 2 years in England as a private (TF)before being commissioned and sent to France, where he died. In this case,however, his previous (ranker) service is mentioned on his MIC.

Dave.