Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 period Hereford newspapers & Obituries

2li

Hi

Does any one in the Hereford area visit the Archive or library at Hereford, and can help with search for obituries for some local lads serving in the Shropshire L.I., in 1916-17 period, all I require is a newspaper obituary, and I am happy to pay for any photo copeing any links or help with this request will be very much appriciated PHILIP

many thanks

Private, Charles Victor Mayo, 6561, 1ST K.S.L.I., Killed 22nd August 1916, Age 19, son of Joseph and Annie Mayo, of Stoney St., Madeley, Hereford

Private, Joseph Preece, 10215, 5TH K.S.L.I. KILLED-IN-ACTION 16th September 1916, Age 21, son of Eliza Preece, of Baker’s Jump, Llangarron, Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire

Private, Charles Williams, 16300, 7TH K.S.L.I. KILLED-IN-ACTION BATTLE OF BAZENTINE RIDGE 14th July 1916, born Colwall, Hereford, enlisted Ledbury

Sergeant, William Bullock, 11045, 5TH K.S.L.I. killed-in-Action BATTLE OF FLERS-COURCELETTE 16th September 1916, Age 22, born Castle-Morton, Ledbury, Herefordshire, enlisted Hereford; Son of Lucy Bullock, of Holly Bush, Ledbury, Herefordshire, and the late Albert Bullock

Private, Alfred Thomas Amos, 8528, 5TH K.S.L.I. killed-in-Action BATTLE OF DELVILLE WOOD 24th August 1916, born Burghill, Hereford, enlisted Hereford, resident Sedgemoore common near Weobley, Herefordshire,

Private, James Henry Beaven, 19135, 7TH K.S.L.I. killed-in-Action BATTLE OF BAZENTINE RIDGE 14th July 1916, born Lower Bullingham, Herefordshire, enlisted Hereford, resident Putson, Hereford

Private, William Evans, 14559, 7TH K.S.L.I. KILLED-IN-ACTION BATTLE OF BAZENTINE RIDGE 14th July 1916, Age 22, born Upton Bishop, Hereford, enlisted Merthyr; Son of John and Fanny Evans, of Bounds Pitch, Much Markle, Dymock, Glocestershire

Private, Cyril Henry Court, 11060, 5TH K.S.L.I. KILLED-IN-ACTION DELLVILLE WOOD 24th August 1916, Age 20, Son of Henry and Alice Court, of “Roseville”, Eastnor, Ledbury, Herefordshire

Private, Henry Bowden, 15758, 7TH K.S.L.I. killed-in-Action BATTLE OF BAZENTINE RIDGE 14th July 1916, born King’s Pyon, Herefordshire, enlisted Hereford, resident King’s Pyon

Private, Albert James Fleetwood, 7492, 7TH K.S.L.I. KILLED-IN-ACTION BATTLE OF BAZENTINE RIDGE 14th July 1916, born Hereford, enlisted Cardiff, resident Holmer, Hereford

Do you know if the newspaper is availble as last time I was there they had removed the Hereford Times from public use so that it could be copied ?

Myrtle

thanks for your reply, I didnot know they moved any WW1 period newspapers, I have tried to get help before but nothing,

as for the Hereford Times to be copied might save alot of scrouging around for help, I would be happy to pay to go on line.

whats your connection to the Hereford Times

Phil

I suggest that you phone Hereford Library to see if they have made the Hereford Times information available yet.

This is the sort of general area that Hereford are making cut backs in, thus, for example the museum (housed with the library) has 3 years to become self funding or close. I would certainly 'phone before making too much investment of effort

I think you are both correct with this, Cut backs all down the line, I think a phone call must be made

cheers Phil

ps If anyone does happen to drop in at the Hereford Librar-Archive let me know the future situation

PHIL

• Admin

Do you know if the newspaper is availble as last time I was there they had removed the Hereford Times from public use so that it could be copied ?

The British Newspaper Archive has the 1918 editions of the Hereford Times online. http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results/1918-01-01/1918-12-31?sortorder=dayearly&county=herefordshire%2c%20england Perhaps they are stu=il digitising the rest?

Cheers for the tip on 1918 editions but after 1916 JULY-AUGUST-SEPTEMBER-OCTOBER- NOVEMBER

Phil

anyone out there who might be able to help

?

I think you are both correct with this, Cut backs all down the line, I think a phone call must be made

cheers Phil

ps If anyone does happen to drop in at the Hereford Librar-Archive let me know the future situation

PHIL

Just seen that the council has decided to close all public lavatories in Herefordshire, whilst some were so spectacularly grim as to put off a medieval peasant injured to outbreaks of the bloody flux (and closing them is probably to the benefit of public health) it does indicate the shifts that are being resorted to to save money. I would suspect that digitising papers is way down on the list of priorities.

• 1 month later...

Hereford Times is still unavailable at the library.

Neil

Thanks for letting us know, Neil. Did they give you any idea of when it will be available on line or wherever ?

Sadly not, all they said was it's taken far longer than they anticipated. I did however manage to look through the Ross Gazette.

James Beavan must have lived somewhere very near to where my wife grew up. Lower Bullingham is still a tiny little place and Putson was a small and separate village to Hereford at that time. Might be worth trying the local church gazettes or newsletters (if they produced them).

cheers Chris

I have tried the local parish with request for help but no luck

Phil

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The main papers for Herefordshire are now digitised but not fully functioning but still useful

The great shame is that the Hereford Times produced a daily WW1 supplement- but the library does not have copies of these- not even paper copies

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Not sure if you are still interested two years on but I live in Llangarron and researched Joseph Preece a few years ago and have taken a few bits out and attached them. If the file does not attach (I might be too big) there is a brief obituary with a photograph of him in the Ross Gazette Thursday ))October 19th 1916, this is available in the Hereford Reference Library which has a printer attached, it is also available in the Ross Gazette Office but last time I went in there they did not have a printer. The Gazette is also in process of being digitised. I also gather that the Ludlow Advertiser kept excellent reports of KSLI casualties throughout the war, might be worth a try. A shorter version with the obit and photo seems to have attached. Best of luck.

Bill Webb

post-47888-0-31705300-1435157386_thumb.j

Cheers Bill

luckily I did find this one a little while back but still thank you kindly for sending it in

all the best

PHIL

Not sure if you are interested. But I have been researching the local young WW1 men for some time and the local paper does a monthly article on one of them, have done about 60 so far. The item below is one waiting to go to print at some time.

Gazette Preece/Lane/Powell

Three young lads from Llangarron.

Joseph Preece/Joseph Lane/James Powell

It's a long long way to Tipperary.

At or just before the start of the Great War three young men from Llangarron enlisted on the same day into the1st Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry. The number enlisting at this time were huge and to have only 19 places between their three numbers meant they must have joined together.

1. 10215 Private Joseph Preece. He was born in 1895, was the son of James and Eliza Preece, he had 10 brothers and sisters and lived at Baker's Tump Llangarron.

2. 10227 Private Joseph Lane was born in 1895 in All Saints, Hereford. He was the son of Joseph Lane and Emma Davies and in 1911 he was living in Llangarron, there is no address but next door was called Pindaisy.

3. 10234 Private James Powell. He was born 1890 in Skenfrith, he was the son of James Powell and Elizabeth (Beavan) he lived much of his life in St Weonard's and in 1911 was working and living in Langstone.

They joined the 1st Battalion at Tipperary and by the 14th August had been mobilized, inoculated against Typhoid and were off to France landing at St Nazaire on 10th September 1914 (le Grand Marais Camp). From the 11th-22nd Sept. the Bn. were marching to the trenches and forming outpost duties. On 22nd they took over the trenches from the Wiltshire Regt. at Vailly, they were under shell and sniper fire throughout the night. For the next month it was trenches at Vailly and billets at Cassel. On 20th Oct. moved to Bois Grenier (Le Quesne) and intense shelling. On 21st the enemy were entrenching 300 yards to their front with heavy shelling and rifle fire casualties 11 killed 23 wounded. Next day 22nd heavy shelling from enemy howitzers and field guns all day. Casualties 12 killed 23 wounded.

23rd Oct. A terrific attack launched against the front occupied by the Bn. The Germans attacked in the darkness with great courage, the line however was still intact when the attack failed (over 200 dead were found in front of the trenches) the wounded must have far exceeded this number as the Germans were nonplussed by our wire entanglements. The machine guns by the barrier on the road played havoc with a party of the enemy. During the day the enemy ran their trenches to within 50 yards of ours. A furious onslaught was again made against our position which however was still intact at 6.pm, we were reinforced during the day by 2 companies of the Buffs.

Casualties 34 killed 38 wounded.

10234 Private Powell was one of those killed in action on this day.

His body was never recovered and he is commemorated at the Ploegsteert memorial in Belgium.

From the 25th-31st shelling and fire fights 21 killed 35 wounded.

1st-14th November Quiet periods with some heavy shelling, snipers were troublesome. 51 Casualties for the period.

The winter saw the Bn. in trenches and billets at Armentieres but with some respite from the heavy casualties, the appalling weather made things very difficult. In June and July 1915 moved to Potijde and Poperinghe, heavy shelling including gas shells, much enemy aeroplane activity 141 casualties for the two months.

August 1915 and heavy bombardments of the enemy positions. On the 9th August an attack was made The attack was most successful.

"At 3am A & B Coys got into position in front of their trench. At 3.10 the bombers started bombing the enemy in Bond St. They were held up but on being re-organised by Lt Woodland succeeded in driving the enemy back.

At 3.15am A & B Coys assaulted the right pushing forward very rapidly, they were the first to get to the crater. Connection with the Y & L (Yorks and Lancs) was easily maintained but that with the D.L.I (Durham Light Infantry) was difficult owing to the very severe shelling at the junction of the two battns. After visiting the new trenches another half Coy was sent forward. when the whole line was consolidated in spite of very heavy shellfire. During the night of 9/10th the Battn was relieved".

Casualties for the 9th August: Officers - 3 killed 9 wounded 3 missing.

Other Ranks - 35 killed 156 wounded 21 missing. A total of 227 casualties.

10227 Private Joseph Lane was one of those killed in action on 9th August 1915. His body was never recovered and he is commemorated on Ypres Menin Gate Memorial.

This just left Joseph Preece alive of these three lads from Llangarron. At some stage he transferred from the 1st Battalion to the 5th Battalion. the 1st Bn were in (Hooge and La Brique) for several months in very severe fighting. The 5th Bn were in the same sector but then moved to Ronville and Arras ready for the forthcoming Battle of the Somme. July 1916 in trenches near Arras but did not take part in the attacks on the 1st July. August started in billets at Buire-sur-l'Ancre but on 24th Aug. an attack was made on Beer trench Ox&Bucks on the left and KRRR on the right. The objective was taken but as the right flank was unsupported they had to retire.

Casualties 11 Officers 194 Other Ranks. 29th and 30th Aug. in trenches at Delville Wood very heavy shelling casualties 8 killed 32 wounded 4 missing. Moved into billets at Vergies.

14th September 1916 moved up to Pommier Redoubt (Albert) ready for an attack on the 15th/16th. The objective was Gird Trench which, owing to both flanks of leading companies being 'left in the air' they failed to get. The final position was just behind this trench. Four field guns and one machine gun (which had been causing us serious trouble) and fifty prisoners were captured. A new "engine of war" a petrol driven armoured car termed "the Tank" was used for the first time. Four of these machines were allocated to the division and are considered to have done splendid work.

In the attack casualties were 34 killed 195 wounded 34 missing.

Joseph Preece was one of those killed action 16th September 1916. His body was never recovered and he is commemorated at the Thiepval Memorial .

All three were awarded the 1914 (Mons Star) with Clasp & Roses, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. All three are commemorated in the church at Llangarron.

Bill

Good to hear from you

You have done very well on the Llangarron war memorial and those commemorated

Well done always interested in soldiers from the King's Shropshire L.I., from the first world war

aal the best

PHIL