Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

“The Somme: Secret Tunnel Wars” BBC Four, 9pm Monday 20 May 2013”

keithmroberts

Jeremy - does that include weekends (and if so what sort of times is the site open)? I'm in Arras next weekend but would love to come down to have a look.

Thanks.

Yes, I have amended the webpage to give extra details as to times and weekend opening.

Best wishes,

Jeremy

Fantastic - see you then.

She Who Must Be Obeyed and I will be with you on Sunday 30th June

Cheers,

Simon

• 1 month later...

Norman, check their news section re 2 french soldiers found.

Tony

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this is the best thread to add this information to but thought GWF members may want to know. We (LBSG) have kindly been given a place on an upcoming Leger battlefield tour 'The Underground War - Tunnellers on the Western Front'. This four day tour worth more than £350 departs 31 October 2013 and will be guided by LBSG and GWF member Iain McHenry. In order to raise funds for ongoing work we are auctioning this on EBay. Details here: http://www.laboisselleproject.com/2013/09/30/battlefield-tour-the-underground-war-tunnellers-on-the-western-front/

The EBay link to the auction which expires on the evening of 7 October is here: 'The Underground War - Tunnellers on the Western Front'

Best wishes,

Jeremy

• 4 weeks later...

thanks - sky has been set to record

Thanks missed it first time around have set recorder. Mike

Agreed, it was a good programme and better than the majority of BBC programmes about WW1.

Even so, I felt a bit dissatisfied that it didn’t properly tackle a couple of basic questions:

Why out of all the places on the British-held Western Front did they choose La Boisselle?

Was it reasonable to expect that the advantages to be gained from the mining project would outweigh the enormous costs?

I’m not particularly requesting people to answer those two questions now. I’m just putting forward the opinion that the programme would have been an even better one if it had done so.

• 7 months later...

Just to let you all know, this has now been released on DVD, and I have just bought it, but it seemed a little shorter than I remembered. Lo and behold, it is a full ten minutes shorter than the original, and seems to have been severely edited. I can understand the TV version being whittled down to fit a slot, but why butcher the dvd release?

• 3 years later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I have just heard from the producer that this programme will be shown again at 10pm on Thursday 2 November on BBC Four: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01skvnh.

Just in case you missed it first, second and third time round. 

Cheers

Jeremy

The remains of a wooden tramway disappear into the distance along the lateral gallery.jpg

Exploring the tunnel system. The quality and structural integrity of the tunnels is evident.jpg

Jonathan Porter descending W Shaft.JPG

Peter Barton holding British Mk 1 steel helmet found in the lateral gallery.JPG

Edited by J Banning

• 1 year later...