Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

“The Somme: Secret Tunnel Wars” BBC Four, 9pm Monday 20 May 2013”

keithmroberts

Glen, I have read a great deal on the tunnellers (inc. Beneath Flanders..) but watching Peter explain the process of 'clay kicking', "nine inches at a time, nine inches at a time"" made my hair stand on end!! Frightening and fascinating, I cant wait.

Sean.

Wow. A must see.

Thanks for sharing the clips, Jeremy.

Roel

It looks as if although based on the la Boisselle project the programme may cover some extra ground. All to the good.I can't wait.

Keith

watching Peter explain the process of 'clay kicking', "nine inches at a time, nine inches at a time"" made my hair stand on end!! Frightening and fascinating, I cant wait.

Sean.

Just watched that clip, I can't believe how quietly they worked, no noise at all! This really brings home what a tremendous feat those men achieved. Absolutely fantastic!

Bring on the programme, Monday cannot come soon enough (although I do feel sorry for Peter if he's aware of this thread - the added pressure we've put on him now :()

(although I do feel sorry for Peter if he's aware of this thread - the added pressure we've put on him now :()

He spends half his life crawling around in 100 year old tunnel's, Im sure he'll cope :thumbsup:

There are some excellent books available covering the work that these brave men undertook. An Australian one comes to mind, but I cannot remember the title. A relative of mine died at Messines Ridge on the day they blew the mines (7th June 1917) so the tunnellers have always proved fascinating to me.

Sean.

• Admin

He spends half his life crawling around in 100 year old tunnel's, Im sure he'll cope :thumbsup:

Unless he sees the comment earleir about his choice of hats. :w00t:

There are some excellent books available covering the work that these brave men undertook. An Australian one comes to mind, but I cannot remember the title. A relative of mine died at Messines Ridge on the day they blew the mines (7th June 1917) so the tunnellers have always proved fascinating to me.

Sean.

Sean

The Australian book is Crumps and Camooflets by Damien Finlayson. ANother good one is War Undergound by Alexander Barrie. Published in 1962 before the release of a lot of documentation like war diaries, the author was able to interview 68 former tunnellers amongst the other veterans etc. IT isn't the mosttechnical book but it is a cracking read even if you weren't interested in tunnelling. http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&ref=bf_s2_a1_t11_11&qi=ar45PjLc94vv.O,ZoXk4iNl,5ok_0162865839_1:1086:7585&bq=author%3Dalexander%2520barrie%26title%3Dwar%2520underground%2520the%2520tunnellers%2520of%2520the%2520great%2520war

Glen

Unless he sees the comment earleir about his choice of hats. :w00t:

Glen

I like his hat too :). (Think I might start a fan club )

The big question is: does he wear the hat squashed up under the safety helmet ! Enjoyed the clips and Peter is a natural presenter

A great night's WW1 viewing to look forward to but why have they stuck "Only Connect" in the middle at 8.30pm ???

I'm a bit old-school so am currently writing the details in my diary. Looking forward to tomorrow!

Some amazing images there. Thank you for posting the link Jeremy

Keith

Superb photos, Jeremy. Thank you very much for letting us know about them. First it was wow at the tunnels, then fanastic at the food tins and hat, quickly followed by being blown away by the laser scans. Just superb. Thank you!

I can't add to the comments made by Kim.

Roger

Really enjoying this.

Only one complaint about this programme - it was too short! More, more, I wanted more. An outstanding programme, all one could hope for. Well done everyone involved.

A moment of reality was when Peter came across the cut wires and pondered whether or not a mine was still attached, it brought home how brave those tunnellers were, it also told us how very brave Peter and his crew were. The effort you have all gone to, and still put in, on this project is amazing - thank you.

What an excellent programme. Well done, Peter Barton and all those involved!

Roxy

Only one complaint about this programme - it was too short! More, more, I wanted more. An outstanding programme, all one could hope for. Well done everyone involved.

A moment of reality was when Peter came across the cut wires and pondered whether or not a mine was still attached, it brought home how brave those tunnellers were, it also told us how very brave Peter and his crew were. The effort you have all gone to, and still put in, on this project is amazing - thank you.

Thank you Kim!

super programme remarkable what these men did.

We have just added a Galley page to the website with surface and underground images plus a few maps.

http://www.laboissel...ct.com/gallery/

Many thanks for the updates on the project site Jeremy....

Superb programme tonight, well done the team.....a veritable rabbit warren under the village of La Boisselle and its environs...and the grave of many brave men.

regards

Tom

Superb. Kept on Sky+ for a repeat viewing! Keep up the good work Peter, Jeremy, Iain and all the others involved in the project.

Roger

Very interesting, I take it that the human remains shown being excavated were identified as French, perhaps someone can update us as to what happened after the remains were bagged-up as shown in the film and whether any more such human remains been found so far.

Norman.