Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

“The Somme: Secret Tunnel Wars” BBC Four, 9pm Monday 20 May 2013”

keithmroberts

The Friends of Lochnagar have been keenly awaiting this documentary, I know.

William

I see Peter Barton writes, presents and produces it - no excuses then. It should be good!

Thanks for the heads up Keith.

Saved to record on Sky+

Roger

If it anything like his recent talk to us it will be freat.

Simon

That's what I was thinking, Simon. His talk at the GWF conference was great, and I've always enjoyed his other programmes, so am expecting high things from him.

Thanks for the reminder, I've set Sky box to record. I'll look forward to this, I'm sure it will be fascinating. Peter Barton is one of my favourite Great War TV presenters and not just because he knows what he's talking about but seems to care with a passion for what he's talking about!

He also comes across as a very, very nice chap, despite the odd taste in hats!

Tivo set. Looking forward to this one a lot.

Regards

Ian

Thanks Keith.

Looking at BBC4's schedule for that evening, it's a feast of GW related programmes -

20:00 The Flying Archaeologist- "The Thames: Secret War" - Archaeologist Ben Robinson flies over the Thames to uncover new discoveries about WW1, including a network of trenches... Click

(I believe that this is the first time this has appeared across the network, having only been broadcast regionally previously & discussed Here

21:00 The main event, the fore mentioned "The Somme: Secret Tunnel War"

22:00 Time watch: The Last Day of World War one" Click

23:00 The First World War from Above Click

With, repeated in the early hours of the following morning (Tues 21st): The Flying Archaeologist- "The Thames: Secret War" at 02:30 & "The Somme: Secret Tunnel War" at 03.00

So recorders probably working overtime!

NigelS

Ooh, thanks for pointing out that line up, didn't bother looking so only set the sky box for Peter's programme, but the rest of them look worthy of watching too.

• Admin

I'll skip the First World War from Above but The Last Day of World War One is very good.The Flying Archaeologist sounds interesting.

Thanks Keith / Nigel

Recorder all set and looking forward to some great viewing time in the near future

Nice to have some worthwhile programmes to watch for a change!!

All the best

Jim

Anyone who was at the conference this year will now what a brilliant speaker, and thoroughly nice chap Peter is - so this should be a very good programme

He is indeed a thoroughly nice chap. Not only did he join in with everyone at the pub the night before and go for a curry with us too, but he also took a lot of time out, at the confernce, to speak to attendees afterwards, which was greatly appreciated.

He is indeed a thoroughly nice chap... ...he also took a lot of time out, at the confernce, to speak to attendees afterwards, which was greatly appreciated.

Being one of those he spoke to afterwards I so agree with all that is being said. I will certainly be watching (or recording). Being away last week and never quite sure how best to remember things (I've tried a number of ways!) and not being able to rush straight to the V+ box, I saw that there was an email facility at the bottom of the reply to topic box and sent myself an email reminder. Very successful!

Judy

Maybe I should have said it sooner - Peter is the Director of the project, but there is a really good team working on it, and he would be the first to give credit to the others. I'm not going to start naming them, because I don't know them all, and would inevitably leave out someone who has contributed a lot, but they are an excellent bunch, all giving their time for nothing to help deliver the project, which still has a long way to go. The project website is well worth a visit for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Keith

TX Card attached.

The BBC website now has a photo gallery and I see they have just added three short video extracts: http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b01skvnh

We will add some galleries of images to the La Boisselle Study Group website over the weekend in time for Monday.

post-16428-0-77640600-1368796905_thumb.j

Thanks for the link Jeremy. If the short video clip is anything to go by, this is going to be a cracking piece of GW television. I cant wait, and its on my birthday too, what a treat :thumbsup:

Regards,

Sean.

• Admin

"If the short video clip is anything to go by, this is going to be a cracking piece of GW television."

I couldn't have said it better. Thanks Jeremy for highlighting the clips.

Glen