Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GWF welcomes the IWM's Centenary Project

GWF TEAM

On 16/10/2013 at 23:50, David Underdown said:

There's a separate thread been opened for that

thouh few resposnes as yet.

Thanks for this David, I'll discuss further in that thread!

• 3 months later...

Dear Luke, Matthew_F and all at the Centenary Project Team,

I'm impressed!! You've hit the big time!

There I was, listening to today's goings-on in Ambridge, where Lynda Snell is full of praise and enthusiasm for the project. Here's a tweet from The Archers website:

The Archers @BBCTheArchers

The WW1 project that Lynda was excited about is real: http://t.co/iAOO9YbAQK #TheArchers

46 Minutes ago

Any chance of getting a mention of the GWF in future scripts? In the meantime I'll be looking out for membership applications from Jennifer Aldridge and Freddie Pargetter.

• 2 months later...

I do not know if this is the correct place to post this, but here goes:

I believe that I have come across some original photographs take during the Great War. They are all about 3 and 9/16th" x 2 and 9/16"th, where the actual picture is 2 and 11/16"th x 1 and 3/4".

Some are black and white and some are 'sepia'.

Obviously I have no idea where these were taken, and it would take an age to try and match these with pictures on the web, as I do not know which arena they come from.

I can scan them all and post them here, but I would need guidance on where to post them.

I have about 110 pictures (I keep counting them, but I am dyslexic - amongst other things, and I cannot be sure of the actual number).

So, basically, my question is, what should I do with these?

Thanks in advance,

Peter.

Hi Norman,

Ok, I will do this and post when scanned etc.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Luke, Matthew_F and all at the Centenary Project Team,

I'm impressed!! You've hit the big time!

There I was, listening to today's goings-on in Ambridge, where Lynda Snell is full of praise and enthusiasm for the project. Here's a tweet from The Archers website:

The Archers @BBCTheArchers

The WW1 project that Lynda was excited about is real: http://t.co/iAOO9YbAQK #TheArchers

46 Minutes ago

Any chance of getting a mention of the GWF in future scripts? In the meantime I'll be looking out for membership applications from Jennifer Aldridge and Freddie Pargetter.

Hi Kate,

I only just saw this. I expect to have a cameo any day soon. Listen out for someone sounding vaguely Irish droning on about genealogy recordsets. Now thats good radio.

best,

Luke.

Fabulous ! I'm a massive fan of 'The Archers' . Hope that you get to visit Ambridge Luke. Regards

Hi Kate,

I only just saw this. I expect to have a cameo any day soon. Listen out for someone sounding vaguely Irish droning on about genealogy recordsets. Now thats good radio.

best,

Luke.

Hi Kate,

best,

Luke.

Why is Lives of the Great War referred to as a "D. C. Thomson Family History Site", along with the pay sites ScotlandsPeople and the British Newspaper Archive, on the Findmypast website? I was under the impression that it was an IWM initiative and not part of a commercial venture. Perhaps one of the "Lives" project can explain?

" The company is a preferred private sector partner to a host of institutions that are digitising and making available online parts of their historical archives, including the Imperial War Museum and The British Library. "

Mike

• Admin

Chris

I'm sure Luke or MAtt will explain more fully but until then......

When the project was announced, it mentioned Brightsolid as the hosting partner. I assumed it was the commercial hosting section and not the online publishing group. It would seem that during the restructure of Brightsolid last summer, it was moved to the Online Publishing unit which is now the Family History unit. Having now seen the project website I now realise that neither IWM nor Brightsolid Commercial as a purely hosting partner has the resources to set it up or manage it (more so when the subscription element starts*).

After the recent destruction of Findmypast as a usable website, I too am concerned about the closeness of BNA and 'Lives' to FMP but can only hope that they remain completely separate or else anything I've added will be removed.

* Most of the information will be free but it seems there will be a subscription to access "premium content" such as FMP's digitised records. For GW researchers, this may actually be a way to access FMP's records after all.

Glen

Thanks, Glen. I had a shudder when I saw the link described that way. All will be revealed, no doubt. I am afraid that unless FMP sort themselves out they have lost me as a customer. Gone from excellent to junk status in one easy step.

I agree. FMP's census 'search by address' seems to have vanished and I found that really useful.

ON the subject of FMP - most of the available record collections so far on Live of the First World War seem to be collections from FMP. Does anyone know whether there are plans to offer to link accounts? Or at the least to link the database of images already viewed by a user?

It would be incredibly frustrating to not be able to link a record to a soldier in Lives which you've accessed long ago on FMP because you don't want to pay a second time for the same image (once subscription starts).

• 5 weeks later...