Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GWF welcomes the IWM's Centenary Project

GWF TEAM

I noticed in the IFCP Supporters write-up that over 3,000 forgotten casualties have been found yet on the IFCP website 439 are awaiting determination and 1,869 have been accepted. Where does 3,000 come from?

I cannot answer on behalf of IFCP (though I am a contributor) - but...

On the memorial I am researching (Newbury) there are 339 WW1 names. Of the 300-310 I have been able to identify there are 7 who are not on the CWGC roll. I have submitted evidence via IFCP to get three of them added - and really must get round to putting in a fourth. Of the remaining three one does not meet the CWGC criteria as she worked for the Serbian Relief Fund, not a recognised organisation. The last two are where I would suggest the gap in the figures might come from. These are chaps who died in the UK after discharge of what I believe to be service related sickness or wounds - but their records were burnt and hence it is not possible to prove they meet the CWGC criteria as no record exists to show their illness was service related.

I suspect that there are many thousands more to be found.

Please excuse me for mentioning this again, but can we try and stay on the topic of the project here?

Thanks

Alan

Two questions:

Are the lists of the 8 million names to come from surviving Medal Roll and service record indexes?

Are any records going to be newly digitised by the Imperial War Museum from its collection to support this undertaking or is it purely a site for members of the public to add their research and family documents etc to?

Best

Justin

From what little I know, the IFCP chaps/chapess's will get IWM info and record it. As yet we are awaiting the 'off'. I presume that they want their records to be availible in some form to aid the public but I am only PBI ( :w00t: ).

(Phil - people who died in the UK were checked along with those missed overseas. I found several such)

This is a terrific proposal that deserves the full endorsement and contributory support of all of us who have an interest in WW1 and are able to assist.

We who inhabit forums such as this should be easy bait. Those that need to be both found and enthused are the generation that followed the likes of Harry Patch The now 80 or 90 year olds who lost an immediate family member or had one who served and returned. They hold a myriad of stories that are about to be lost (as they move to sheltered accommodation or just pass away) . It's their children and grandchildren that need to be found and empowered to search, discuss and post.

How is IWM proposing to disseminate the project to suchlike; those masses beyond the scope of Military History and genealogical websites etc?. How can we help ?

Tim

Will this project be different from other projects and mention the V word as quite a lot of matieral i have read concerning the forthcomming 100th ann has failed and seems to avoid mentioning the victory that was won by the blood sweat and tears of millions

Excellent project - and wish it every success.

My only concern is that I can think of two people I have had contact with who both have uncles who died who in the Great War who prefer not to use the WWW.

I think that they can be persuaded to offer information for a web based project but will their be publicity available in 'hard copy as it were for them to read?

Regards

Michael Bully

I think part of the idea is that local groups will be able to do their own projects using this as a platform, reaching out to those who are less web-savvy.

This is a terrific proposal that deserves the full endorsement and contributory support of all of us who have an interest in WW1 and are able to assist.

We who inhabit forums such as this should be easy bait. Those that need to be both found and enthused are the generation that followed the likes of Harry Patch The now 80 or 90 year olds who lost an immediate family member or had one who served and returned. They hold a myriad of stories that are about to be lost (as they move to sheltered accommodation or just pass away) . It's their children and grandchildren that need to be found and empowered to search, discuss and post.

How is IWM proposing to disseminate the project to suchlike; those masses beyond the scope of Military History and genealogical websites etc?. How can we help ?

Tim

Hi Tim

Thank you for your positive feedback on the project. We are hopeful that a wide range of people will be getting involved in it during the centenary years and beyond. There's a fair bit of information about how people can get involved in the FAQs section here: http://www.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/frequent-questions.php?sec=3.

As to your question about how you can help, please do sign up so we can keep you informed via email about the project. It is still being developed, so more will become clear in time. The sign-up section is on the Lives of the First World War microsite homepage.

Kind regards,

Kate Clements

IWM FWWC

I notice that the period covered is 1914 - 1918 (although there is a hint that this could be expanded); this seems a little unfortunate as the war did not officially end for months afterwards and we have continuing campaigns going on for some time - eg in Russia, for starters. Since the numbers involved were not huge I would not see this as a big problem, but it would be more satisfactory I feel - and perhaps alert people to the fact that fighting - and the possibility of a flare up in fighting - did not end on 11 November 1918.

Excellent project - and wish it every success.

My only concern is that I can think of two people I have had contact with who both have uncles who died who in the Great War who prefer not to use the WWW.

I think that they can be persuaded to offer information for a web based project but will their be publicity available in 'hard copy as it were for them to read?

Regards

Michael Bully

Hi Michael

Thanks for your message and your support for Lives of the First World War. Regarding your concern over getting the word out to those who are not online, I can confirm that we are planning on producing printed publicity material about the project. In the meantime, there is a press release on the microsite that can be downloaded and therefore printed off, if that is any use. It can be found here: http://www.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/latest-news.php

Kind regards,

Kate Clements

IWM FWWC

Two questions:

Are the lists of the 8 million names to come from surviving Medal Roll and service record indexes?

Are any records going to be newly digitised by the Imperial War Museum from its collection to support this undertaking or is it purely a site for members of the public to add their research and family documents etc to?

Best

Justin

Hi Justin,

To answer your questions: 1) The main sources of information will be official records. We will be able to tell you more about this as the project progresses, so please do sign up to stay informed.

2) We anticipate that many new sets of records will be made available during the four years of the First World War Centenary. IWM will be making some records available publicly for the first time during the 4 years.

Kind regards,

Kate Clements

IWM FWWC

Thanks Kate-but hope that press releases and 'hard copy' will still offer the postal contact option. The more I think about this, it could the older people who prefer not to engage with the WWW who might have material from their own family they would like to be preserved on a Web based archive for future generations.

Regards

Michael Bully

Hi Michael

Thanks for your message and your support for Lives of the First World War. Regarding your concern over getting the word out to those who are not online, I can confirm that we are planning on producing printed publicity material about the project. In the meantime, there is a press release on the microsite that can be downloaded and therefore printed off, if that is any use. It can be found here: http://www.livesofth...latest-news.php

Kind regards,

Kate Clements

IWM FWWC

Thanks Kate-but hope that press releases and 'hard copy' will still offer the postal contact option. The more I think about this, it could the older people who prefer not to engage with the WWW who might have material from their own family they would like to be preserved on a Web based archive for future generations.

Regards

Michael Bully

Hi Michael,

Lives of the First World War is a digital memorial, so all the information needs to be collected and stored on the digital platform.

IWM is not able to collect and preserve millions of items from family collections in the museum but Lives of the First World War will enable people to upload and share their images of First World War mementoes so that they can be saved for future generations.

Perhaps it might be possible for those who dislike using the internet to be helped by family members to upload their content.

Kind regards,

Kate Clements

IWM FWWC

Really interesting project, I am just about to sign up, and hope that the research I have done on my local men, may be of interest,

alie.

Thanks for your response Kate- regards Michael Bully

Hi Michael,

Lives of the First World War is a digital memorial, so all the information needs to be collected and stored on the digital platform.

IWM is not able to collect and preserve millions of items from family collections in the museum but Lives of the First World War will enable people to upload and share their images of First World War mementoes so that they can be saved for future generations.

Perhaps it might be possible for those who dislike using the internet to be helped by family members to upload their content.

Kind regards,

Kate Clements

IWM FWWC

Looking forward to developments and hope to do my bit too.

Ant

I am up for taking part, just wondering how long it's going to take me to enter 31,000 + men's details into the project. :blink:

I have nowhere near the number of soldiers to enter as you do, 6th Shropshires. But you raise a very good point.

Is there a possibility of a bulk upload option?

Some databases (I'm only really familiar with filemaker and an online e-shop building platform) allow you to upload bulk info via spreadsheets. The e-shop platform allows you to add photographs as well as all manner of files directly from a spreadsheet.

Filemaker will allow you to import csv, excel etc and on import assign which destination field each field on your import is assigned to. I'm assuming 6th Shropshires will have some form of database that could hopefully be duplicated and then tweaked in terms of format for a possible upload.

Is there any possibility that something like that could be implemented?

8 million is a lot of people, and if all of the most experienced researchers are stuck re-entering 30,000 lives that they've already researched instead of researching a further 30,000, we'll all end up the poorer.

The FAQs state:

14) I have already done research into several/hundreds/thousands of people involved in the First World War, how can I transfer my data to your platform without having to retype it all?

Projects have been carried out using different sources and methods and have been saved in a variety of formats. Therefore we are not able to give a single, definitive answer here. We are looking at various technical solutions and will provide more information when the platform is available to the public. Sign up so that we can send you updates.

• 3 months later...

I have not read most of the details on this project,. It is a wonderful idea, and the fact that future researchers or relatives of those who fought in the war may be able to view the information in the future, if even for a small fee (everybody hates profiteers) makes it worthwhile in my book. As a retired/unemployed old guy living in the states I'd like to know if there is anything I can do on this side of the pond to help the program. My limited income does not allow for contributions.

regards momsirish.

• 1 month later...

Is there going to be a facility to contact a poster of information on the new Lives of the Great War site (presumably through a site email/personal message option)?

Why I ask is that in forums such as this one there is the opportunity to try and contact posters to ask questions/offer more information/talk about avenues for further research, either by replying to their post in the forum or through the site based email (P.M.) option. I can see the ability to send some sort of message to posters on the new site as being similarly helpful, for example where further information would be useful about the background of a source posted without sufficient information on its origin and publication date.

Best

Justin

• 2 weeks later...

Is there going to be a facility to contact a poster of information on the new Lives of the Great War site (presumably through a site email/personal message option)?

Belated response -- yes there will! For the reasons you outline. It may not be available on the day we go live, but this feature will be added soon after launch.

Many thanks,

Luke (Smith)

IWM

Everyone seen the BBCs announcement this morning regarding their Centenary season?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/world-war-one-centenary.html

Lives of The First World War is going to be working closely with them on the World War One at Home project, to make sure the individuals from the stories covered in the TV and radio broadcasts are included in Lives, not only so that their memories are preserved for future generations, but also so as we can use records to verify the facts and add a greater degree of accuracy to the stories covered in the broadcasts. Of course you assistance in the latter would be much appreciated! Really excited for us to be involved with this.

Does anyone have any thoughts so far on World War One at Home, or any of the other activities the BBC have announced as a part of their Centenary season? Be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Matthew

IWM

There's a separate thread been opened for that

thouh few resposnes as yet.