Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers pictured in the Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucester Graphic

dink999

Gloucester Yeomanry POW's in Turkey 1918

For anyone who might be interested all the 10 men in this picture have now been identified (Glos Echo 20 March 1918) and they are

Back Row:- Corporal Evans, Trooper Preen, Trooper Clifford, Trooper Nelmes, Corporal Walwin

Middle Row:- Trooper Peacey, Corporal Ruffell, Trooper Troughton

Front Row:- Trooper F A Hopkins, Trooper Rich

Hi Dave

I see that there is a "trooper " Clifford among the 10 POW's is there any way to find out alittle more about Clifford??

Perhaps he might be a relative?

Thank you for any consideration

Regards,

Frank Clifford

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I've found 2 mentions of a Frank Edward Wrench (Private) in your archive, which match 2 entries in a .xls file I found on the internet.

One is:

FindingRef Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic Title WRENCH, Private, Date 1915 Format Photograph Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 13 November Notes St John's Hospital Shooting Team
Photographed in Cheltenham Abode not known, HeldAt

Gloucestershire Archives

And the other is :

FindingRef Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic Title WRENCH, Private, Date 1915 Format Photograph Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 13 November Notes St John's Hospital Football Team
Photographed in Cheltenham Abode not known, HeldAt

Gloucestershire Archives

In the xls file they're listed as 2524 & 2525. This particular chap had a son of the same name and I'm wondering if they are the same person or father and son.

I'm also wondering if you have the photo/s relating to these entries. Frank snr is my great uncle in law and I would love a photo if you have one.

Thanks

Nicola

post-88525-0-84807600-1447867446_thumb.j

Nicola,

The 2 pictures of Pte. Wrench appear to be of the same man in 2 different teams, shooting and football whilst he was at St John's VAD hospital Cheltenham

Dave

post-9249-0-23918800-1447877214_thumb.jp

Peter

Here is Austin's picture from the Graphic, not that clear I'm afraid. From the soldier's effects register it gives his birth place as Tewkesbury and lists a number of siblings. That ties in with the birth register entry for 1894 in the Tewkesbury district and on the Glos BMD site Austin is one of 7 children to a mother with the maiden name of Yeates/Yates registered in Tewkesbury.

I cannot find Austin in a census but his brother Alfred, born Tewkesbury shows up on the 1911 census in Hampshire as a Private in the Worcestershire Regiment

However Austin is listed in the book Leaving All That Was Dear by Graham Sacker and Joe Devereux in which they say that Soldiers Died gives Austin's birthplace as Hamilton, Glos, which does not exist.

I think I am allowed to post the page from the book as long as I acknowledge Graham and Joe's book as the source, so here it is attached as well.

Dave

post-9249-0-92914100-1448039953_thumb.jp

post-9249-0-64444900-1448040202_thumb.jp

Dear Sir, i wonder if you are able to locate this photograph on my behalf.

Finding ref: CEO/CCGG/Pictorial Supplement 1918/CE.

Title: Corporal William Shellam.

Format: Photograph.

Source: Cheltenham Chronicle & Glos graphic Arts & lit Supplement 14 December 1918 2nd Glosters.

Notes: pictured with his 4 serving brothers.

Many Thanks Stuart.

Stuart,

Here is the picture with the 5 Shellam brothers

Dave

post-9249-0-68190600-1448481343_thumb.jp

Hi Dave, would there be a picture on there of the 4 Maslin Brothers please.

Richard Thomas Maslin - Private - 6583 - 2nd Gloucester Regiment perished 13th May 1915.

He worked at a colliery in Abertillery, Monmouthshire with his brothers, Ben, Francis and William Charles.

BB

Stuart,

Here is the picture with the 5 Shellam brothers

Dave

Wow,Many thanks for doing this. These are direct descendants, we, as a family have a long history with the Gloucestershire regiment. I knew this photo existed but didn't know how to get it. many thanks. Stuart.

BB,

Sorry there are 2 Maslin's in the database but none of the four brothers you are looking for

Hi Dave

Thanks for your courtesy and time, fully appreciated.

For the record there are 4 that I know of that are commemorated on the Abertillery Memorial that served with the Gloucester Regiment.

John Henry Davies - 285189

Richard Thomas Maslin - 6583

Arthur Phillips - 2031

Thomas York - 285217

Take care

BB

Dave

I'd be most grateful for photographs of the two soldiers below who both served with the South Midland Cyclist Company

Record_ID

Date in Graphic

Surname

Forename(s)

Rank

Unit

04/11/1916

DICKENS

C

Corporal

Warwickshire Regt. ex 1/5th Gloucesters & Cycle Corps.

08/04/1916

CAUSON

Hubert T

Private

48th Division Cycle Corps

Best regards

Clive

Clive,

Here are the 2 men Dickins & Causon

Regards

Dave

post-9249-0-42628400-1448909329_thumb.jp

post-9249-0-47002700-1448909341_thumb.jp

Dave

Wow! Very grateful for the fast response. Excellent quality images and really appreciate your efforts to make this great resource available so readily.

Best regards

Clive

Dave

The Gloucestershire Echo of 3rd November 1916 has a piece trailing portraits and pictures in "tomorrow's issue of the Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic". This includes a "Magnificent Group Photograph across Two Pages Of Army Cyclist Corps, South Midland Division". Although I assume that is not a named photo since no names seem to feature in your index for 4 November 1916, I would very much like to source a high resolution copy of this photograph. Is this something you can help with?

Regards

Clive

Clive,

Looking at the photo it should have been indexed as Captain G Talbot Plum is named and I presume in the photo. here is the image. I have sent you a PM so that I can send you a higher resolution one by email

Regards

Dave

post-9249-0-18837800-1449063161_thumb.jp

Dave

Once again sincere thanks for taking the time to dig this out for me.

All the best

Clive

Dave, Thank you so much for photo,it will go a long ways in helping with my family research

A really great site you have

[Hi Dave

I have been trying to locate some info on one of my cousins listed in the "The Bourton Five"

His name is Rowland Clifford,Iknow very little he was 29 in 1917 and was in hospital in Solonika

then, could he had malaria?. Icould not find hisIndex card. He was with the Gloucester Reg

Thanks for anything

Frank

Hi Dave

I have done some research on pvt James F Clifford I believe there to be a photo of him Dec 30 Graphic. Can you help

Thank you

Edith Clifford (Frank)

The only Clifford photo in the Graphic for 30 Dec 1916 is this one, though not sure if it is your man

post-9249-0-12432000-1449785556_thumb.jp

The only Clifford photo in the Graphic for 30 Dec 1916 is this one, though not sure if it is your man

thank you Dave this is James Frank Clifford date of death and home address match. my info

#29590 enlisted with the 8th Gloucester Regt in Sunderland in Dec 1915 .

Thank you again Dave and keep up the good work

Frank Clifford

• 5 weeks later...

Dave

On more photo request if I may. Pte S E Dyer South Midland Cyclist photo in Graphic of 26.8.16 Record number 2040 Killed in Action 19 July 1916

Best Regards

Clive

Clive,

Here is your man, It's not the clearest image I'm afraid

David

post-9249-0-95362200-1452939839_thumb.jp

Dave

Many thanks for the fast response. Still much better quality than the average newspaper photo.

Best regards

Clive

• 1 month later...

Dave,

Could you please help with photos of the following:

Record No 749, Capt W H Bowsher, Manchester Regt - Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 14 December 1918

Record No 748, Driver E W Bowsher ASC - Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 12 May 1917

Many thanks indeed.

Clive