Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers pictured in the Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucester Graphic

dink999

Frank,

The Clifford family from Bourton on the Water and 5 soldiers sons with some useful military and family information I hope

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave

In the photo of the 5 sons of Fred Clifford is #4 Roland Clifford who stated as recovering in hospital in Solinka .I have been unable to find any info on him,I do know he had malaria there. No metal card ,no pension or silver badge.

Would there be a photo of him in either the glocester or Cheltenham papers?

Can you help?

Frank

Hello Frank,

I cannot see any further references to Roland Clifford in The Graphic or other local papers, but the Medal Rolls are now on Ancestry and I think this is your Rowland

I don't know anymore so you would need to ask other experts on the forum about these Medal Rolls

Dave

post-9249-0-59379000-1415874755_thumb.jp

If Dave's medal roll entry is the correct person his medal card on Ancestry is under Robert Clifford and he also served in the RFC.

The medal card in places is a little confusing but says he entered theatre of war ' Mediterranean Ex Force ' 8/10/1915 which would tie in with him being in the

9th Glosters but they went to France first on the 21/9/1915 and then left on the 12/11/15 and arrived in Salonika via Alexandria on the 25/11/15. The MIC

shows he went to Salonika with the RFC as the 14-15 star info has RFC roll details. I know nothing about the RFC so he may have gone with them and transfered

to the Glosters whilst in Salonika. There is also a note stating that the Victory medal is awarded only to the Glosters and and the BWM claimed by the RAF; odd.

If Dave's medal roll entry is the correct person his medal card on Ancestry is under Robert Clifford and he also served in the RFC.

The medal card in places is a little confusing but says he entered theatre of war ' Mediterranean Ex Force ' 8/10/1915 which would tie in with him being in the

9th Glosters but they went to France first on the 21/9/1915 and then left on the 12/11/15 and arrived in Salonika via Alexandria on the 25/11/15. The MIC

shows he went to Salonika with the RFC as the 14-15 star info has RFC roll details. I know nothing about the RFC so he may have gone with them and transfered

to the Glosters whilst in Salonika. There is also a note stating that the Victory medal is awarded only to the Glosters and and the BWM claimed by the RAF; odd.

Hi Simon2

Thank you thank you this does explain a lot. I really love this forum,keep up the good work

Frank

Hello Frank,

I cannot see any further references to Roland Clifford in The Graphic or other local papers, but the Medal Rolls are now on Ancestry and I think this is your Rowland

I don't know anymore so you would need to ask other experts on the forum about these Medal Rolls

Dave

Hi Dave,

Once again you have helped me out ,I am truly grateful for your help.

Thank you again.

Frank from Calgary Alberta.

What a stunningly useful indexing project! Thank you so much for doing this. I am enquiring about Major R C Foster, Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 03 April 1915. There is a strong possibility that this is Major R C Forster, not Foster. Could you check for me please? I would love his photo if available!

Hi Dave,

Would very much appreciate your assistance in obtaining this photograph:

Stout, No. 2

Ref: Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucester Graphic

Stout, Frank, Lieut.

20th Hussars

Photograph

Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucester Graphic

26 February

at Gloucestershire Archives

Many thanks in advance.

George

Major R C Foster is listed as the 4th man sitting in the top photo, there could of course be a typo error in the paper and his name is FORSTER but I'll let others decide on that one

Regards

Dave

post-9249-0-44102600-1416766831_thumb.jp

Many thanks, Dave.

Yes, it is, indeed, the correct individual. I've been researching his life and career along with his brother Percy whose group I've had seemingly forever. Frank's MC for one day or so less (than forever.) Been looking for his trio ever since and for any pictures which are out there and details, too.

Really appreciate your assistance.

George.

I have done a bit more digging and I'm pretty well convinced that R C Foster is R C Forster. It corresponds to his regiment and rank at that time. He also hunted with the Beaufort Hunt. I am unable to find a Major R C Foster in the Gloucestershire Hussars. If anyone could confirm my supposition that would be great. It seems extraordinary that this is the first photo I have seen of a man who was quite prominent in his day. Thanks again, Dave, superb commitment to a massive task!

Hi, I have found that my grandfather, Private Harry Howell, has his pic in the chronicle & graphic on 30/10/15, would you kindly be able to send me a copy please?

regards

Private Harry Howell, pictured with his 5 serving brothers and parents

post-9249-0-50304900-1417370348_thumb.jp

• 2 months later...

Many thanks Dave, that really is fantastic. Thank you for your hard work in photographing and indexing all these, it's is very much appreciated.

Kindest regards

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave

Currently I'm researching a Lieutenant Colonel James George Kirkwood who served with the 10th Gloucestershire Regiment and have discovered that he appears in a number of soldiers pictured in the Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucester Graphic newspaper index. Would you please be able to help with obtaining scans of these newspaper photos as the family do not have any photos of him at all. They are as follows:

KIRKWOOD, JG, Major, 9 October 1915, 10th Gloucesters, wounded in France 25 Sept 1915 now in a French Hospital.
KIRKWOOD, Captain, 15 May 1915, 10th Gloucesters, Various scenes before leaving.
KIRKWOOD, JG, Captain, 28 November 1914, 10th Gloucesters, Named Officers Group.
KIRKWOOD, JG, Captain, 17 April 1915, 10th Gloucesters, Recruiting Rally various scenes
KIRKWOOD, JG, Captain, 17 April 1915, 10th Gloucesters, recruiting Procession various scenes.
Look forward to hearing from you soon.
Kind Regards
Phil Bennett
Eltham, New Zealand

Dave - many thanks on providing such a great service.

Very interested in the Yeomanry photo with the Duke of Beaufort - do you by any chance have a higher res. copy of this?

sincere thanks

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Simon,

I have an image of higher res that might be of use to you, I will PM you for contact details

David

post-9249-0-38063000-1425324687_thumb.jp

Hi,

I'm new here (and living in Canada) so I'm hoping you can help me... though

I've been trying for a couple of days to access the list but all I get is this:

The connection has timed out
The server at ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk is taking too long to respond.

So I don't even know if the soldier I want is available.

Alfred James Burt

Enlistment Location: Bristol

Regiment: Gloucestershire Regiment Battalion: 7th (Service) Battalion

Number: 10496

Died 8 August 1915

Death Place: Gallipoli, Canakkale, Turkey

Memorialized at the Helles Monument for dead whose body has no final resting place.

If you have ANYTHING your help is truly and greatly appreciated.

Hello,

Your man Alfred Burt is not on my list, so no picture of him in "The Graphic". He does not seem to get a mention in the Bristol Paper, The Western Daily Press either

I think Glos Archives have changed their WW1 pages, so the one you need to view and download the list is

http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/archives/article/116632/Information-sheets-about-Gloucestershire-in-WW1-compiled-by-other-researchers

Dave

Hello,

Your man Alfred Burt is not on my list, so no picture of him in "The Graphic". He does not seem to get a mention in the Bristol Paper, The Western Daily Press either

I think Glos Archives have changed their WW1 pages, so the one you need to view and download the list is

http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/archives/article/116632/Information-sheets-about-Gloucestershire-in-WW1-compiled-by-other-researchers

Dave

... DAMN... another dead end.

Thanks for looking!!

• 4 weeks later...

Dave

I wonder if I could take you up on your offer to provide snaps from the Gloucs papers? I have subscribed to British Newspaper Archive, which is fantastic (although it needs a few more papers - Worcestershire is weak), but can find references but no portraits. The one I seek is:

Chelt Chron & Glouc Graphic

Glouc Archives

ANDERSON, A, Cpl

b&w

Photograph

Chelt Chron & Glouc Graphic 09 September

Notes 11th Gloucesters E Coy Pictured with 14 others..

I am hoping that this is the 17758 L.Cpl A. Anderson who won an MM with the 10th Bn, gazetted Sept'16, wounded August 1916 - perhaps for the same action?

Many thanks,

Steven

Steven,

I hope this group photo will be of some help in your research of Corporal A. Anderson

post-9249-0-54451500-1428512265_thumb.jp

Dave